We need to get that Winning "Attitude" back

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I realise we have simply not had the quality on the field in many games in recent seasons, but there has been something else missing.
The "Never say Die" competitive nature.
The Great Manly sides of the past had this in spades and in many cases it was what seperated us from othe quality sides.....we simply wanted it more and won the 1% battles till the opposition held up the white flag.
Is there too many nice guys ?
Are the opposition team bigger physically ?
Do they train harder ?
Is it a confidence thing that comes with Winning ?
Did the side grow stale under Des ?
We have a few nuts now in Brown, Lodge, Oka and maybe that's part of the puzzle....but needs to be controlled aggression.
What's the thoughts on where we sit in this department and interested to hear how ST family feel we Win it back to gain that edge that has gone into hiding recently ??

No doubt having the best cattle on the field for the majority of the season is going to be one of the main factors .
Also getting at least an even share of possession in games .
Continuity should encourage more of a confidence element and the one percenters and will to win may become even more commonplace then .
Maybe a bit hard to quantify in general but being continually or regularly up against it on the injury front sure is a pretty big handicap .
And especially also for the likes of Shu and Alioia to show what genuine assets they can be if they lift their games and be largely injury free

I think the lack of crazies in our side played a big part. You 100% need these nutters in a team to go deep into finals. Lodge and Brown imo are the perfect additions to combat this.

Another piece of the puzzle that we have addressed is a very solid running 6 to take control of the left side of the field. Shu is an amazing talent but better off with no responsibility and can chime in when it suits.
We now have 2 genuine kicking halves and a great running game in Brooks

All comes down to the culture in the place. 2005-2011 Des fostered a winning culture until he led the charge elsewhere. Then it was a steady procession of quality out and mediocre in due to a couple of highly paid players one of which averages 6 games a year for the last few years and that destroys a balanced salary cap.

Do they train harder ?
No, no, no, yes, no (!)
I think the main problem was simply = we've lacked sufficient grunt up front.
Even in 2014, when we were pipped for the minor premiership in the last round, our front men played above themselves to get us there. For a couple of years we had Marty and AFB setting a great platform but not enough coming in to follow up their efforts.

This year we look to have a better spread of grunt & experience up front.

Ideally would like one more experienced NRL-standard middle (as it's annoying always having to say 'if injuries are kind to us', because they never are).

But overall look more solid up front than we have for a while. That's what we need to win games, and winning games ends up bringing the winning swagger.

I realise we have simply not had the quality on the field in many games in recent seasons, but there has been something else missing.
The Great Manly sides of the past had this in spades and in many cases it was what seperated us from othe quality sides.....we simply wanted it more and won the 1% battles till the opposition held up the white flag.
Do they train harder ?
We have a few nuts now in Brown, Lodge, Oka and maybe that's part of the puzzle....but needs to be controlled aggression.
What's the thoughts on where we sit in this department and interested to hear how ST family feel we Win it back to gain that edge that has gone into hiding recently ??
Its all about belief and trust in your teammates. There is no switch that magically turns it on. It has to be earned and learned over time through consistency.

Right now we live in a world where when things don't go our way we make excuses and take unnecessary risks to try and fluke our way out of a hole.

We need to get to a place where everyone believes in the process and when adversity strikes we counter with commitment and solidarity.

Do they train harder ?
Spot on mate as always. Let's get that Manly DNA back into Manly. Remind all those other fools who's boss damn it :)

Do they train harder ?
Other teams train Harder or have players that are smarter. It's that simple.

Man has been a dumb footy team, for too long a time.

Let's look at a couple of areas where you would expect to notice effort on the training paddock.

Goal Kicking.
Wrestle with and without the ball.
Field goal set up.
Short drop outs/ kick offs
Defusing short drop outs / kick offs.

There's not one area above, where as a team we have even looked in the same league as top teams or shown any improvement and I'm talking about a decade.

Manly must not even do never mind extras.

Goal Kicking.
Wrestle with and without the ball.
Field goal set up.
Short drop outs/ kick offs
Defusing short drop outs / kick offs.
I agree that Manly is very poor in short drop outs/kick offs and defusing them and probably in wrestling also. We were poor in setting up field goals a couple of times this year against Souths & Knights, but over the years, we've probably won more games by one point than other teams. I'm not sure what deficiency there is in our goal kicking. This season, we may have lost one game due to missed goal kicks.

A magical night for DCE and his mighty Sea Eagles. Some Manly fans are now saying we can win the whole comp. Game against Warriors will be interesting…

Last week was massive for us, winning is the formula. I think the last 2 weeks will have us primed with the right winning attitude, don’t think we’ll have a problem turning up this weekend, the boys want that winning high, that’s what you play for, think this squad‘s starting to feel it, we fell flat last year after beating Melbourne in similar circumstances, won’t happen this week, think there’s a hunger starting to take hold.

Who’s knows what Manly team will turn up.

The last 10 years we haven’t really had the killer instinct's. We tend to take some of the lesser sides lightly, then look horrible chasing points when we get behind.

The last 10 years we haven’t really had the killer instinct's. We tend to take some of the lesser sides lightly, then look horrible chasing points when we get behind.
We may be going in the right direction. I can't remember any of the top Manly teams of the 80's & 90's who didn't drop at least one game to a team in the bottom quarter of the ladder.

Exactly. We cant win one week and lose the next. We have to be consistent and with the added pressure on Des and Arthur, these games will be even harder, so we are going to have to be on our game every week. Des will not want to lose to us and now Arthur is fighting for his coaching life as well so you would think his boys will lift for him, again especially against us

Nathan Browns lead by example attitude highlights in 10 minutes what we have been missing for years

The FOLLOW ME players are the ones you build a team around although not in this case obviously

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8