We need help to fight barbarians at the gate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
IT IS time the NRL recognised the importance of the Manly Sea Eagles to the game of rugby league in a key catchment area for the code.

They sit in a critical geographical position for the code as the only northern NRL side between the northern pylons of the Harbour Bridge and the city of Newcastle.

It is a massive, heavily populated area with young families and there is a battle going on in the football codes for schoolboy and junior ­talent.

The NRL seems obsessed with western Sydney as a target area to the detriment of the northern beaches, north shore and Central Coast areas.

As a result, Aussie Rules and football are pushing harder than ever for a slice of the sporting talent.

In my 45 years on the northern beaches I haven't seen a more concerted push from football and Aussie Rules into the school and junior nurseries.

Aussie Rules is taking over the historical home of the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval for a day this month to push their code among the children.

This simply beggars belief. Can you imagine others codes opening their doors to help out a rival?

While all this is happening the NRL sits by doing little.

The Manly Junior League is a shambles and the competition is disintegrating with every season.

It needs a complete overhaul with the assistance of the NSW Rugby League and the NRL.

If financial and administrative support is not given there is every chance one of the great producers of talent for the NRL will eventually disappear.

INTEREST IN PROPS

MUCH early-season interest in the Sea Eagles will be on up-and-coming props Dunamis Lui and Josh Starling.

Lui (Brisbane Broncos) and Starling (Souths) have both come through the systems at their respective clubs well and have been crying out for an NRL opportunity.

They will get that at Manly and need only to check out their teammate Brenton Lawrence at training for inspiration.

This time last year Lawrence was like them - looking for an opportunity.

He starts 2014 on the brink of representative football and a grand final ­appearance under his belt.

I have seen little of Lui but checked out Starling in a half dozen games last season once I knew he was on Geoff Toovey's 2014 radar.

He is old school-type prop who plays in tight, is a strong ball runner and tough defender.

CEMENT HARD TO STOP

WHEN it comes to debate on who has been Manly's most ferocious and punishing ­defender over the club's ­history it usually comes down to two legends - Terry Randall and Geoff Toovey.

I subscribe to that mode of thought but when it came to timing in the tackle, the ­mid- 1990s prop Dave "Cement" Gillespie was hard to beat.

The boy from Narromine came to Manly after winning a premiership with the Bulldogs and always gave great value in Bob Fulton- coached teams.

Cement has been on a ­rigorous training and key program of late and is under 100kg for the first time in more than 30 years.

Like Randall and Toovey, he looks like he could still play.

Peter Peters - Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/we-need-help-to-fight-barbarians-at-the-gate/story-fngr8iii-1226815176570

IT IS time the NRL recognised the importance of the Manly Sea Eagles to the game of rugby league in a key catchment area for the code.

They sit in a critical geographical position for the code as the only northern NRL side between the northern pylons of the Harbour Bridge and the city of Newcastle.

Read More

Lui and Starling will have to fight Turbojet and Sao as well.

Keeping King around just to help these 4 out should pay off big time. Would think at least one will play well, really liked Turbo and Sao's little taste last year so if they are pushed out we will be ok up front

I have met Cement a couple of times , bought him a bourbon and coke once lol comes from the same town as Glen Mcgrath , good fella

There is a full page ad on page 4 in the Manly Daily today for Junior RL.
Kingy, Choc, Jake and Clint with a kiddie from each of the dozen local Junior Clubs on show :angel:

The Drip's paranoia is not reflected by 2v, who has embraced the Manly Wolves AFL input into improving his sports skillset :cool:

There is room for every sport, the importance is to have kids participate in healthy, group activities.

The problem is the Northern Beaches was a huge league area in the 20th century but has now been taken over by millionaires who have bought in to live there. These people aren't and have never been league supporters and support either support union, AFL or Soccer or nothing.
A tiny junior league and low fan numbers at Brookie with a club that have been the best team in the nation still hasn't attracted record gates is such a shame but shows the demographic of the area. It's amazing the amount of "travellers" at Brookie which shows the majority of fans don't even live in the area. Even the local council don't care.

The NRL will look after western Sydney and Queensland, thats where they see their future. Manly are a club who is used to surviving the odds. What we need though is a solid junior league to continue producing champions that we have seen come through the ranks over the years.

We need to improve. Our minor grade results over the last few years has been terrible. There needs to be a more professional approach in that area.

True but as long as we sign kids to come through (offer them an incentive) to play 1sts we will be fine. Never hurt the Roosters.

Darrern, The local demographics don't seem to count at all. Look at the Panthers and the Tigers. They are lucky to get seven or eight thousand through the gates when they play at home and Penrith isn't home to the millionaires. If the stadium was up to scratch and parking was better, the home crowd numbers would be more acceptable. What the NRL need to see is that a viable team, north of the harbour is a must so they need to adjust their 'stadium' policy and get out there and spend some money, And some political capital promoting suburban ovals like ours. Or do they see the future as teams playing in a few large stadiums and developing virtual crowds. Maybe.

Darren said:
The problem is the Northern Beaches was a huge league area in the 20th century but has now been taken over by millionaires who have bought in to live there. These people aren't and have never been league supporters and support either support union, AFL or Soccer or nothing.
A tiny junior league and low fan numbers at Brookie with a club that have been the best team in the nation still hasn't attracted record gates is such a shame but shows the demographic of the area. It's amazing the amount of "travellers" at Brookie which shows the majority of fans don't even live in the area. Even the local council don't care.
Darren, in 1973 I played B Grade (u/21) and Presidents Cup for Manly. In that year the local b grade had 7 teams I think. Penrith and Parramatta each had two divisions. Soccer has always been the largest (male) junior sport in the manly area long before any "millionaires"

When we are going well there has never been and never will be a problem filling brookie on a Sunday arvo. Good luck on Monday nights.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4