We missed a great opportunity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
A few years ago we were forging a pathway with the Canterbury region of NZ, playing a couple of matches there and garnering local support. At the time several posters embraced the idea of forging closer links so that this fertile football area became our important source for recruitment. I for one put a reasonably detailed marketing plan to the club to capitalise on the opportunity a by-country link would create, but I never heard back.
Well, now former New Zealand international player Hugh McGahan is pushing Canterbury to be considered as an expansion club in the NRL... What an opportunity our administrators at the time missed. Bugger!

The common thought is that rugby league is only seriously popular on the north island in New Zealand, with Wellington the city most expect the NRL would target. However, McGahan believes Christchuch, and linking with Super Rugby franchise the Crusaders would be the way to go, telling SEN New Zealand that a fan base and infrastructure you can draw off would be extremely important. “A we've seen with the Dolphins, you have to have the right coach to attract people who want to come to New Zealand,” McGahan said. “The Warriors have been around for 25 years and they're still struggling to attract big name players to New Zealand. “I'm going left field here, I would look at a team in Christchurch and I would link it with the Crusaders. You have an infrastructure right away, you have a base and culture you can draw off and ride in off the experience of what the Crusaders are doing.“They've proved over many years, that they're good at their job and everyone else has been chasing their tail for a long time. That's where I'd look to base a team.“Canterbury is a sports mad province, and you would have a better base there, compared to Wellington.
The Christchurch-based Super Rugby franchise are the most successful in the competition's history, and while rugby league has seldom visited the city, the radical proposal would tie in with the NRL's line of wanting measures in place to make clubs successful both on and off the field.

Not sure, depends on how covid pans and relations with Nz. A 2nd kiwi team was a big favourite for 18th given a bigger sky TV deal which vlandys favoured.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2