We beat Melbourne!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did you think we’d beat Melbourne tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Defensive lapses like the ones over the last fortnight (conceding 34 points in 20 minutes) is alarming to say the least. To work as hard as they did for the bulk of the two matches and then loose intensity and focus when in front shows a complete lack of leadership and toughness. We started very poorly last night with multiple drop balls and then steadied the ship and got the job done. Until stupid errors took over including kicking off into touch on the full. No point doing great things for 70 minutes and underdoing all in the last ten minutes.

Omg it’s only just hitting me we beat the storm we may have just got away with it but who’s been able to put 36 points on them.I can guarantee our coaching staff will be working on those concentration lapses the last 10 minutes of the game. We have the bye then 2 winnable games in Newcastle & dragons Happy days people.

So if I said before the game we'd win 36-30, would you have taken if gleefully?

Ken oath you ( we ) would have.
It was a statement game and we got the job done, at 22-6 they were cooked.

Would it feel better if we were in an arm wrestle and won by six?

I wouldn't call it caving in, they got two tries from OUR kick offs, penalty at halfway and start their set 20m out.
Yes, attention to detail is something we need to work on but they've only been beaten by the Eels, Cows and the Riff up until tonight so credit where credit's due.

Our centres were good, Paseka was great, Sipley jumps over Keppie and Garrick played on one leg.

For and against means diddly squat if you don't win enough games.
You left out Jake's herculean effort backing from Origin in a faultless game, that was truly amazing and shows his love for the club and pride in the jersey.

How about the effort to stop Olam when he was throwing himself at the line! Forget when it was exactly but the game was still well alive and Olam was being ultra-Olam - and we were up to the task.

Anyone who thinks that was a soft win is barking up the wrong tree. Storm were poor mainly because Manly played so well. Their late flurry only highlights how dangerous they still are and what a good job Manly had done to keep them down so long.

This never happens to me so please let me get some mileage ...
Screenshot_20220701-104547_Samsung Internet.jpg

Good points @Snake

Whilst I'm pumped to beat Melbourne, I am not so pumped at our inability to play for a full 80 minutes.

The positive is, this can be fixed. We need to be better at the 1% plays, and some better leadership when our opposition has some momentum.

is it me or did the manly tries, though spectacular, look way too easy against a very soft melbourne defence. Great the boys held off though. good game
They looked easy but I really think we played a new type of footy that Melbourne wernt expecting. I see some comparisons with 2019 coming where we went ok ONCE we got over the fact Turbo was gone for the season.

Forget the last 10 min and the 2 form 7 set start and we dominated for 60 min. Very few turn forwards on the inside for a settler. Hamole got early ball again. We actually used our centers to play instead of decoy crash plays. I felt that Paseka was huge. Toff and Marty were good.

Best of all we had a gameplan that the players went to for 70 min that worked a treat.

We will make the 8 and we will go ok even without our Turbo charged heart.

Defensive lapses like the ones over the last fortnight (conceding 34 points in 20 minutes) is alarming to say the least. To work as hard as they did for the bulk of the two matches and then loose intensity and focus when in front shows a complete lack of leadership and toughness. We started very poorly last night with multiple drop balls and then steadied the ship and got the job done. Until stupid errors took over including kicking off into touch on the full. No point doing great things for 70 minutes and underdoing all in the last ten minutes.
What it does show is this team has the ability to dominate in patches. I'd rather the last few weeks rather than loosing by 20 every match.

We can learn to go the 80. Its harder to learn smashing teams for 70 thats for sure.

Once Herman was out I knew we would win, but after 10 minutes doubts crept in.

Very happy in the end,

NYEagle

Jk, I’m happy compared to cowboys, but still hibernating and barely able to function.

I do call caving in to 4 tries in 4 minutes a luxury feathered friend
Nothing to be proud from that

Happy with scraping in to win the 2 points but they way we capitulated in the end

Was not a happy ending
2 weeks in a row we blow a huge lead. Dumb options on both occasions by our captain and terrible defense out wide. Hard to be excited by that win after the hard work was done earlier. We are mentally weak at closing out matches. Something needs to change quickly or it will be habit forming.

Personally, I gave us a 10% chance of winning tonight, so although I understand the disappointment in the final 10 minutes, I have to remind myself that it’s a massive win...

We haven’t beaten Melbourne in years. We haven’t beaten a genuine top 4 side in donkeys. We couldn’t beat good sides with Tommy, but we beat one without him tonight. We kept the Brookie record in tact...never before have we lost 6 in a row to an away side at the fortress.

If you thought we’d lose tonight, remind yourself that it’s a gift!
Manly were almost certainties in my eyes as we performed better than it showed against Melb in Melb, Origin period Melb look flat and fatigued.(plus Melb have a softer underbelly this year and far easier to expose)

The small periods where Melb showed spark and energy Manly looked poor in attack and defence but we have improved big time generally speaking.

Prior to the NZ game i was actually hopeful Manly would win all these games in this period, that is why i mentioned "Manly might surprise themselves" prior to the NZ game if they believed in themselves and played with good intensity.

Been disappointing Manly have lost a lot of close encounters we could be well entrenched in the 8 after the last month or so since the Parra game.

There is still a lack of self belief within the squad to beat the top teams, this is evident in the unforced errors that come from nerves and lacking confidence against the big teams. Once Manly build belief and a healthy level of arrogance i feel the drop balls and mistakes will reduce, hands become softer, you don't look up at the defensive line before catching the ball, you are not thinking "i can't make a mistake we will get punished" you are thinking with a relaxed mindset and confident in your abilities.

We still lack the fitness levels of the top teams to always have confidence we can stay in the grind and compete, that we won't drop off the cliff too quickly when things go against us, but in saying that we have improved in this department also.

I think if Manly can go injury free(almost impossible) for the rest of the season we can win most games if the energy levels can hold up, but i fear the drop off in about 2-3 game time and Manly will resemble the early season form again.

Garrick is a danger now at FB and not just filling in, Davey hole running, Foran looking comfortable ballplaying as ever on the left and taking the line on often, Haumole a danger on the right, Paseka running with gusto and unstoppable with this mindset, Walker threatening the middle and offering ballplaying variety also, Croker strong in defence and building some running game off the back of better go forward, there is a lot to like about the improvements.

Now if we can get DCE to keep improving his directness, Schuster to build some fitness and spark off the bench and the forwards running with continued direct punch the season is not lost just yet, the players just need to believe a bit more in themselves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8