We are a poorly coached team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some tough tough judges out there. I wonder how any coach, let alone a first year, would have gone with the amount of roster change and injuries?

I am not saying he is a good coach or a bad one but to say that the team was "badly coached" is far too simplistic and, to be honest, a pretty lazy assessment of where we are especially when we are somewhat competing with a top side

If it was up to me I would be willing to part with cash as a reward for your balanced, intelligent and educated response to our teams current situation.
Cheers KW. That was a nice thing to say.
While there are many balanced judges on here there's also plenty who still expect us to win every game, every year, even if we have to field a team of under sixes combined with nursing home patients.
But forums are for lively debate and all opinions are appreciated.

Cheers KW. That was a nice thing to say.
While there are many balanced judges on here there's also plenty who still expect us to win every game, every year, even if we have to field a team of under sixes combined with nursing home patients.
But forums are for lively debate and all opinions are appreciated.
Yes @niccipops, life on here would be a tad dull without the debates that rage on here that's for sure. On the topic of poorly coached sporting teams. Have a gander at the Wallabies, now that's a side devoid of any direction and totally at sea in their attacking and defensive structures.

Fark me, give this girl the prize, she's summed it up perfectly. Has anyone taken a look at the state of our backline the last two weeks. Players out of position, reserve graders filling the gaps, a Holden Cup centre on the wing and key personnel playing completely busted. We just played the two form sides of the comp while DECIMATED by injuries. Not one or two injured, totally farking obliterated by injuries. To the point whete the only players of first grade standard in our backline are playing on despite requiring surgery. Imagine if Baz sent Tom, Jorge and Chez off for surgery, we would get beaten by fifty and some on here would be screaming that our attack looks ****e. This is the toughest rugby league competition in the world and we can barely field a side, yet the players continue to have a red hot crack for 80 minutes.
Agree 100% Kev...........Stewart, Lyons, Matai, Walker, Lussick, Lawrence injured for most of the year! Tom T & Taufua playing on one leg so to speak, Myles & Taufua come off injured early & people are bagging the side for losing?????????? Take that many high profile players out of any team & see how they go....they'd get hammered by 60! Saying Barrett can't coach is a little premature due to the reasons above! If results are the same when he has a fully fit team then I'll join the chorus! Bellamy, Bennett, Stuart etc. would not have done any better with what's happened this year....maybe Flannagan would have with some additional supplements lolol!

Last edited:
As the winners say: Look at the scoreboard.
And, as Pauline Hanson says: I don't like it!

Oh dear God, I've been reduced to quoting Pauline Hanson. Help me Manly, help me.

As the winners say: Look at the scoreboard.
And, as Pauline Hanson says: I don't like it!

Oh dear God, I've been reduced to quoting Pauline Hanson. Help me Manly, help me.
She's on 60 min tonight if you want more pearls of wisdom.
On the ad the journo says - Do you hate Muslims?
Well, der channel nine!

I wouldnt say terrible coaching
Ide say inexperienced coach who dosent know what hes doing at a new club..
Mix that with a side full of mercenaries and we wont win much for awhile...
Apart from the coaching, the main thing that stood out about manly over the last decade was the fact that the guys on the park would kill for each other... Whether they were local juniors or guys brought in, sooner or later you could SEE that bond between players out there...
I cant see that at all this year, maybe it will grow on them over the off season, but in my opinion, myles,tapau,wright,walker,korisau,green amd brown are just players showing up to play a bit of footy and cash the cheques... A far cry from the bond you could see in the stewarts,lyon,matai,ballin,watmough,
Buhrer, king era... Even guys like perry,boxhead,rose,mauro,robertson,ox,
bell etc etc bought into it in their first season
100% spot on. It's the culture. And that needs to be sold in to the players and instilled in them from day one. Never say die. And follow the structures. What structures? Good question. They're not there because they're not being coached into the players.

100% spot on. It's the culture. And that needs to be sold in to the players and instilled in them from day one. Never say die. And follow the structures. What structures? Good question. They're not there because they're not being coached into the players.
And this is where my biggest issue with barrett is, and its not his fault...
How can he instill this culture in the players when he has absolutely no idea what its like to be part of it???
Its like me trying to teach michael phelps about swimming... sure, ive been in a pool and i can swim, but what the f&$k do i know about olympic level swimming?

Part of the problem is that too many of the current team members are either of marginal first grade standard or are over the hill.

Blokes like Billiarmy and Sparrow are in the first group and Mate Nyles is in the second.

That makes it tough for any coach, let alone a rookie.
Correct!

For those of you who know me (or dont know me?) I dont ever knock the players!!!)
Yes, MWSE IS A POORLY COACHED TEAM. The selection and recruitment decisions were made by people in the coaching group. I inclued R Fulton in that group.
Every team suffers injuries. That is why there are 27 players in the squad. To cover for injuries.. If the choices are not good, then if the cap fits, let someone wear it...

Fwiw, I just watched the 2008 GF again... How good were they? Were they better than the current lot? Probably not. But, they BELIEVED that they would win.

Last edited:
Yea but Trent Barrett has the best hair out of any coach in the league :giggle:
Don't underestimate the importance of this.

I agree that we need improvement in all areas, coaching, recruiting and playing but did people really think with a completely busted team we can beat competition favourites like Melbourne and Canberra?
I hate losing and always feel down after a loss but I'm happy with the effort the team is putting in. Both the past two games could have gotten particularly ugly but they are playing their guts out.
Errors cost us this game and bad goal kicking. The last penalty to the raiders at the end was BS and I think Tommy's try was fair which could have gone a long way towards changing the result.
I really do see big improvements coming in this team.
You aren't just a pretty face.
(neither am I!)

Remember this...injuries happen in contact sport so having all your players on the park week in week out is a nice rarity. The best coached footy teams are the ones that adapt BEST to that scenario when new players have to come in / play out of position. And it's not just the case in NRL..same rule applies in AFL too. Bellyache from the Storm and Clarkson from the Hawks are geniuses at bringing in blokes who almost seamlessly slip into the playing structures and the team as a whole barely skips a beat. They ADAPT well because everyone in the whole squad knows their role. Everyone in the whole squad knows the structures. I realise we haven't had much quality on the park in 2016 however fact remains had we an excellent coach we would have been far more competitive than what we were. And if the Titans can make the finals with their cattle it proves playing the right brand of footy still gets u a long way in the Comp.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4