'We all popped pills for NRL grand final', says Willie Mason

byso

First Grader
CONTROVERSIAL Australian rugby league star Willie Mason has told The Sunday Telegraph how all the players at his former team the Canterbury Bulldogs took multiple caffeine tablets before every match when they won the 2004 National Rugby League (NRL) title.

"I've been at clubs where they pump it into you," said Mason, a prop forward who has represented the Australian national team 24 times.

"We won the comp [at Canterbury] on NoDoz [the tablets' brand name]. I think the whole NRL was taking them in 2004.

"Everyone was bashing the hell out of each other. You would have three or four before a game. That was the norm. But the aftermath, the comedown, it sucks. It was a real big down.

"I specifically remember winning the grand final and sitting in the sheds and thinking, 'My God, I am exhausted'."

Mason, who now plays for the North Queensland Cowboys in the NRL and does not take the tablets anymore, said he could also understand why players turned to prescribed sleeping pills to help them come down after night matches.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageFoxSports: Latest NRL news End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"You can be so pumped on natural adrenalin after a game that you cannot sleep," he said.

"A couple of red wines and prescribed sleeping medication, I have no problem with people doing that."

Substances used by NRL players might be a very big story that just hasn't broken yet (and is the subject of one on my askLowie questions). 

byso link said:
\"A couple of red wines and prescribed sleeping medication, I have no problem with people doing that.\"
This is where Mason is VERY wrong.
Any alcohol mixed with stilnox is a well documented recipe for disaster.

I am friends with a couple of Nrl and super league players and can tell you that it goes on

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2