• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Kerr offers more than a laugh

By Christian Nicolussi | October 16, 2008 
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24501476-14823,00.html

0,,6301652,00.jpg

WE'VE had Ron Coote and Roy Bull in league, horse racing's Edgar Britt and Adrian Quist in tennis. Now Ireland have delivered their own wonderfully named cult hero - Wayne Kerr.

Even if the hard-hitting prop fails to make an impact for the rugby league minnows this World Cup, Kerr is sure to be talked about long after the international tournament has wrapped up.

As the Irish rugby league side touched down in Sydney yesterday, it was Kerr who attracted the most attention, despite having won just three international caps.

The 24-year-old said he had always created a stir because of his name and the extra attention would be no different Down Under.

"As my Ma always said to me, she gave me my name for a reason, so it would never be forgotten,'' Kerr told The Daily Telegraph. "I've been slagged over it my whole life, but it doesn't worry me.

"If the Australian fans get behind me because of the name, brilliant, happy days, I'll enjoy it. Hopefully they'll embrace me. If I can get some game time I'll try and show them it's not about my name but the way I play.''

What other sporting names bring a smile to your face? Use the feedback form below to tell us your favourite ...

Kerr, who plays for Carlow Crusaders in Ireland, only took up league three years ago after spending 12 seasons playing union.

One of four Irish-born players in the Ireland side, Kerr said he was looking forward to putting his nuggety frame on the line against the hard-hitting Tongan and Samoan packs in the pool games.

Ireland coach Andy Kelly said Kerr had copped plenty of flak over his name but he was sure to "rattle some bones'' on the field.

Kelly said there was no way Ireland had travelled halfway around the globe to make up the numbers and would draw on the fighting Irish spirit.

"We're here to be a big part of the World Cup and to be a big part we can't whimper in and whimper out,'' Kelly said. "We're not here to be clowns and be out of the competition after two games.

"We'll have a go in all the games. Tonga and Samoa will be a physical challenge and we won't beat them if we run straight into them, we will have to have a go at playing football.

"We're hoping the Blarney Army are established in Parramatta and enjoy having us here and show their true Irish spirit.''

Ireland left Manchester Airport in economy class while the English side sat in business class on the same Emirates flight. Kelly was not fazed by the divide and wasted no time putting his players through their paces at Narrabeen last night.

First-up for Ireland, who feature Australians Pat Richards and Ryan Tandy, is Tonga on October 27

apparently he has no luck with the ladies
and relys on man to hand combat

I saw this thread and thought it must of been about denis fitzgerald

Not Daniel Conn. Dubbo guys are uglier than that and Conn has tatts all over his arms anyway. I saw this guy on the news and with his Irish accent the Wayne Kerr bit sounds sensational.

Looks a bit like Carl Webb too.  Can big Carl put on a bit of blarney?

Didn't the Telegraph say Conn kept pulling supermodels last off season??

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2