Watmough the new BK

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I recall the massive turnaround at Manly when BK joined with attitude & imo, was a huge part of the winning culture that has followed ever since.
No player benefited more than Watmough who now is THAT influential foward leader that every team wants , but very few have.
There were parts of last Friday nights game when Watmough just kept popping up at vital moments to take a hitup or rip in with a big hit & his batteries just refused to run flat.
I know theres been times when his hands let him down & the odd bad play the ball but imo, he does everything at 100 mph & at 100% commitment, more than making up for these errors during the game.
Does not make the same amount of line breaks on the edges as he did, but plays more of a leadership quality in tight, sacrificing the headlines for his team winning the battle in the ruck.
His leadership qualities are up with the best & his influence over the past 8 or so years have been massive, have always had Snake Stewart as the most influential player but this bloke is right there with him.
Could there be a better influence for the youngsters coming through??
Hasson, Starling, Buhrer & co all feed off Watmoughs rugged determined style of no nonsence footy.
Every time Watmough steps on the field you just know the Seaeagles will not go down without a fight, he leads from the front & commands the troops follow him often dominating due to his efforts.
Is 1 of the best fowards of the past 20 years & is already a Manly legend.

He doesn't make line breaks on the edges because he plays in tight; not because his athleticism or aggression has been diminished. It became apparent a long time ago that his speed and footwork could really trouble the bigger forwards, and he hits the advantage line better than just about any forward in the game, so having him tearing up the middle third of the field makes perfect sense.

I love the way he always tries to drag the tackled player a couple of metres by the scruff of the neck; without fail he will always attempt this. I love the way he approaches the game!

I have no doubt that Choc is a forward leader. He does more work than any other in our pack (MB tackles more) and is our go-to guy when things get tough.
His physique is like chiseled granite.
He is the forward we would miss most.

The Who said:
I have no doubt that Choc is a forward leader. He does more work than any other in our pack (MB tackles more) and is our go-to guy when things get tough.

Yes, and I think it's fair to say Choc should replace BK in our Greatest Ever Team - announced in 2006.

Not withstanding the influence BK had on our club, but let's be fair, a stellar Manly career from 2003-present versus one for two seasons?

Poor BK! lol I can still see him, standing in tackles, fighting off 2 or 3 defenders with his one arm carrying the ball free and swinging in the breeze with no one to offload to. Then, after accepting the tackle, screaming at our blokes to support him when he runs, veins pumping and threatening to burst in his head and throat. He taught our young blokes heaps. I liked BK. He got Watmough into SOO (and got him back out when Choc snotted him whilst bonding haha!) Aahhhh...the good old days :)

simon_eagle said:
The Who said:

Yes, and I think it's fair to say Choc should replace BK in our Greatest Ever Team - announced in 2006.

Not withstanding the influence BK had on our club, but let's be fair, a stellar Manly career from 2003-present versus one for two seasons?

This, for me. BK was good, influential etc; but
overall Choc's contribution towers above Kennedy.

Should absolutely be in that team and Manly
would not have been the same in the past decade without him!

Choc is the one and only in his own right.
The prototype modern-era forward.

The original and the best.

It's no secret I love Choc, wouldn't swap him for any other player. He's come a long way from those sometime off field antics, he drops the ball and his passes go astray occasionally, but he gives his all in every game and his heart and soul is Manly. IMO he is ahead of BK by a country mile.

Frogz said:
I still cant get over why some think BK was such a legend of our club...42 games V Choc at 258 games and counting.

To have BK in our Greatest Team Ever was a joke really....IMO

Agree, only 42 games is too few to be a legend.

But In only those 42 games he almost single handedly redefined what it meant to be a manly player. Much of what we admire in 'our culture" and in choc was rammed into them by BK.

He will forever have my respect and gratitude and have legendary status at least in my memory.

Hard to compare Choc and Igor isn't it?

Obviously different styles and eras @EagleFromMay1967...but you could easily argue they were equally as valuable to their team.

Never really thought Choc was that naughty anyway @marga but agree he's matured into a good bloke and forward leader for us.
Choc and Beaver are two of my all-time fav forwards ; and there are a whole host of young forwards at Manly now that will learn invaluably from being alongside Choc.

It's footballers like him, and Skivvy to name another, that other guys want to go to war with.

Not questioning BK's quality and contribution @Alan, just sincerely feel Choc's has been far greater.

RiverEagle said:
Hard to compare Choc and Igor isn't it?

Obviously different styles and eras @EagleFromMay1967...but you could easily argue they were equally as valuable to their team.

Never really thought Choc was that naughty anyway @marga but agree he's matured into a good bloke and forward leader for us.
Choc and Beaver are two of my all-time fav forwards ; and there are a whole host of young forwards at Manly now that will learn invaluably from being alongside Choc.

It's footballers like him, and Skivvy to name another, that other guys want to go to war with.

Not questioning BK's quality and contribution @Alan, just sincerely feel Choc's has been far greater.

That's why I said antics @rivereagle. Choc naughty, never. :)

Alan said:
Frogz said:
I still cant get over why some think BK was such a legend of our club...42 games V Choc at 258 games and counting.

To have BK in our Greatest Team Ever was a joke really....IMO

Agree, only 42 games is too few to be a legend.

But In only those 42 games he almost single handedly redefined what it meant to be a manly player. Much of what we admire in 'our culture" and in choc was rammed into them by BK.

He will forever have my respect and gratitude and have legendary status at least in my memory.

Until recently BK was my all time favourite sea eagle (he has been eclipsed by Jamie Lyon in recent years).

I remember 2004 when word hit that we had signed BK, there were mixed reviews, that we'd bought a croc who was always injured. I was optimistic, but wasn't sure. 2005 remains one of my favourite seasons. It just signaled things were changing. We had this Rugby League Legend doing and saying all the right things. He told everyone Manly were title bound. And on the field he was just a colossus (I can think of no other word for him). I knew that a title wasn't far away. It was exciting times.

Before BK we had been rudderless for many years. Sure we had some great players (Beaver obviously) and some talented youngsters (Snake/Choc). But suddenly here was someone that even Beaver looked up to. His signing showed the intent from the Sea Eagles hierarchy to the rest of the NRL that we were now a serious team again.....and it was this intent that allowed us to get people like Matt Orford, Steve Bell and ultimately Jamie Lyon. (not sure if Brent Kite signed before or after BK since they both came in 2005).

42 games might be a little too few to be deemed a legend in most eyes (completely understand). Not me. I will always keep the team of the last 60 years with BK in it.

So safe to say I am one of those that bought into the BK legend. And absolutely unashamedly so.

Fair enough @Killer03. Don't get me wrong tho. I'm not saying BK wasn't pivotal to us re-establishing ourselves, or wasn't great for us.

I loved what he brought to Manly and how he put in.
. We were " rudderless " after and because of the Northern Eagles fiasco......and a combination of factors dove-tailed to propel Manly back to the excellence we're renowned for......including the efforts of Hasler, I hate to admit.
Quality planning, recruitment and preparation
revitalized us, and I'm the first to admit that BK
was neck-deep in that ( and thank him for it! )

Just on the side that Choc's his own man, not a BK clone, and deserves a spot in the greatest
team.

U could probly argue for another half-dozen guys across the board to be in that 17, such are we blessed with great players down thru the years......but for mine Choc should be there.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6