Wasted talents

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi, the place he could have risen, imagine him at full pelt in 2009 and 2010, yes, he has played some rep footy but imagine, without injury, what he would have really been. After 2008, he was going to dominate!! It is so cruel his injuries. No disrespect to him at all, frigging tragedy as would have gone past Slater.

the list before us was guys who never were going to make it, Brett was about to hit the pinnacle and has been cruelly cut down, he was 24 and about to run riot in his career, prime time, just about where Inglis is. Don't think we will ever have a fullback who could score tries like him again. He is a genius when fully fit. Maybe the term "wasted' isn't fully correct, however the injuries have wrecked his career. Look at him training the other day, you could see he was struggling, it's terrible!

He is not wasted but majorly setback would be a better term. Matty Bowen is starting to get back to his best but it takes time and the same will apply with Snake.

Darren said:
Kiwi, the place he could have risen, imagine him at full pelt in 2009 and 2010, yes, he has played some rep footy but imagine, without injury, what he would have really been. After 2008, he was going to dominate!! It is so cruel his injuries. No disrespect to him at all, frigging tragedy as would have gone past Slater.

the list before us was guys who never were going to make it, Brett was about to hit the pinnacle and has been cruelly cut down, he was 24 and about to run riot in his career, prime time, just about where Inglis is. Don't think we will ever have a fullback who could score tries like him again. He is a genius when fully fit.

He still very well could reach those heights, he is only 26 ffs. Thank god the people within the club don't give up so easily. Roosters would be happy they stuck by Minichiello as well.

How many years of footy did Ben Kennedy miss before joining us ?

Torana, just beat me to it as I edited, trust me, I want Snake back firing, we are big time with him at the 1.

For sure Kiwi, let's definitely hope he is another mini, injury free he is a genius and his talent can't be coached, he is a freak. Winning a premiership will only happen if he is on the park for us.

In 10 years time if Brett doesn't get back to anywhere near his old form because of injury, we will remember him as a genius who lit up Brookie only to see him cut down in his prime. Legend!!

When I think wasted talent I don't think of players who got injured. I think of players that preferred the drink or maccas etc than putting in the hard yards and realizing their talent.

Craig Field was the worst waste of talent at Manly. I can still picture the awful game he played in the semi against Canberra in 98. The other one was Jason Ferris.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

Duff said:
Chip and Chase said:
You gotta think that Johns could have been better if he wasn't a druggo.

Or maybe "drugs" really aren't that "bayad, mmkay".
Maybe as long as you're fit & healthy and can do your job, what you do on your own time is your own business.

I wasn't make any judgement calls. However I doubt you could be classed as completely fit and heathly if you are playing after being on benders and dropping disco biscuits on a regular basis. Imagine if he had say Junior Pearce's attitude to training and fitness.

Duff that's bull**** and deep down you know it.
Drugs are bad. What you do on your own time is your own business but to down play their negative aspects is in my opinion irresponsible.

They may make you feel good but that makes you ignore their negative aspects. My past is my past but they are high on the list of things I regret.

Kids read this forum and I would hate for them to read this and think that on some level drugs are ok.

/rant

Daniel said:
Drugs are bad. What you do on your own time is your own business but to down play their negative aspects is in my opinion irresponsible.

They may make you feel good but that makes you ignore their negative aspects. My past is my past but they are high on the list of things I regret.

Kids read this forum and I would hate for them to read this and think that on some level drugs are ok.

/rant

You and me both (Pot/Snowcones)

I'm going to put a few tragedy cases here.

Adam Ritson : I feel would have made Webcke look like a reserve grade prop had he not broken his neck.

Sonny Fai : Could have been SBW all over again(and admit it SBW was a good player). Fai I feel was a season a way from being a staple in both the Warriors and Kiwis forward packs.

Terry Newton : even though he achieved the lot (grand finals, Challenge Cup, Tests for Great Britain) until he tragically hung himself after being done for 'roids. This guy could have offered his new side a lot of experience (I don't care what you say even if he was a drug cheat suicide is a waste of a life)

Garry Purdham : brother of Rob Purdham (Harlequins player) who was tragically gunned down last year

Daniel said:

/rant

Sorry Dad.

It's not bull****. Joey was a great.
Things need to be kept in perspective.

As was said earlier, it's not like he was shooting up smack.

With the topic of this thread, you can hardly count one of, if not the greatest players of all time as anything to do with wasted or unused talent.

Jason Ferris was good for us. I well remember him in the dark days. he was always enthusiastic amongst a bunch of no talents (Beaver aside)

Duff said:
Daniel said:

/rant

Sorry Dad.

With the topic of this thread, you can hardly count one of, if not the greatest players of all time as anything to do with wasted or unused talent.

To truly believe drugs are anything other than bad for you is just lunacy and again to downplay their affects on a public forum where kids have open access is just irresponsible.

Duff said:
Daniel said:

/rant

Sorry Dad.

If the general consensus is Joey is the best player of all time and you don't believe he is, than by definition you consider Joey to be overrated.

Ben Kennedy was been included in our greatest team at our 60th anniversary celebrations. Not something that too Manly supporters disagreed with, and whilist I think he was outstanding for us in his 2 years I don't agree with his inclusion, ergo I think he's overrated.

Owen craigie for sure. i play for central charlestown with him and the skills he has is incredible. despite his lack of fitness and pace he makes alot of defenders look stupid

All the members of this site - we could all be first grade coaches far surpassing the likes of Hasler, Bellamy & Bennett.

We all know more.
:)

Jerry1 said:
All the members of this site - we could all be first grade coaches far surpassing the likes of Hasler, Bellamy & Bennett.

We all know more.
:)

Agree. It would be unfair if this sites members were unleashed. Any of us could coach manly to 20 straight premierships but that would be unfair to the fans of league.

Fullback - Shannon Nevin - should have never signed with the Tigers after playing so well for Manly.
Wing - Paul Hauf - Tall Fullback or Winger looked usless but managed to play for Australia then teams worked out he couldnt bend down to grubbers and he disappeared from Rugby League.
Centre - Kevin Yow Yeh - was at Balmain and looked like a star but couldnt handle City life and moved back to Qld only to die while in custody of the Qld police
Centre - Darren Rodgers - hugh wraps when Manly got him from the Bears but injury finised his career.
Wing - James Matthews - Illawarra/Roosters player who rep for City before being killed in a car accident on Christmas eve 1992.
5/8 - Jason Martin - somehow this guy got Dally M rookie of the year at Norths then moved to Newcastle & Cowboys never reaching the same heights. Think he also tried singing at one stage.
1/2 - Rick Chisholm - one of the best debut ever seen and ripped the Sharks apart only to fade away
Lock - Geoff Selby - looked to be a star but lost his life in a car accident
2nd Row - Sonny Fai - wrecking ball in NYC and was taken way to early.
2nd Row - Ian Barkley - came to Manly with big wraps and faded away after too many injuries.
Prop - Garrick Morgan - from Rugby and never looked like a 1st grader.
Hooker - Ben Alexander - would have been bigger than his brother and played for Australia.
Prop - Adam Ritson - Could have been anything.

Notables
Tesesa Lavea - another Rookie of the year then never did anything again. Now playing Rugby in France.
Andy Goodway - Manly got this from England for big money and he failed.
Jim Leis - Debuted for Wests in 1980 and played for Australia that year and left West for the Bulldogs only to move onto the Sharks a few years later and was lucky play about 25 games for both Dogs & Sharks.
Brett Papworth - Another failure from Rugby who suffered many injuries over 3/4 seasons with the roosters and was lucky to hhave played 5 games in that time.
Jacin Sinclair - another who had so potential but never really kicked on.

From Manly - Gene Ngamu, Jamie Olejnik, Les Boyd, Craig Field, Johnny Gibbs, James Leuluai, Kevin Iro, Luke Dorn, Kevin McGuiness

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6