Warriors docked 4 points, fined

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan

February 27, 2006

THE New Zealand Warriors have been penalised four 2006 NRL season competition points and $430,000 for salary cap breaches.

The Warriors' breach over the 2004 and 2005 NRL seasons related to total payments of close to $1 million.

Included in the breach are undisclosed payments, unregistered agreements with third parties and guaranteed payments to players after retirement.

The Warriors have five business days to make formal submissions in regard to the proposed penalty.

It is the first time a team has been stripped of competition points ahead of an NRL season.

"We can't have a system whereby clubs can gamble on breaking the rules, knowing that they can solve the issue at the end of the year by simply writing a cheque for a fine," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"Those charged with the responsibility of running a club for the owners, sponsors and fans have to know that they not only risk one season by breaking the rules, but that they can affect a club for years to come.

"The Warriors matter is a serious breach, it is not the biggest we have recorded but it is above anything that has simply incurred a fine in previous years."

Gallop added the co-operation of the current Warriors management had reduced the severity of the punishment.

"It has certainly been mitigated to some extent by the transparent actions of the current management," said Gallop.

"They are to be acknowledged for the professional manner in which they have conducted themselves, but even that cannot completely negate what has taken place.

"I am confident that they will now focus on restoring the confidence of the fans and players who support the club so passionately.

"It is up to everyone to accept that the club has paid a price and that it should now be able to move forward."

AAP

I think they can count themselves lucky. In 2002, the Bulldogs lost ALL of their competition points. The Warriors are only down 2 games.

I think they are very unlucky to lose points. They have come to the nrl and turned themselves in once they found out about it. They are not breeching the rules this year.

The storm had ongoing dealings year after year and didnt lose a point.

Taking points away hurts the fans and the game, its the fine that hurts the club moreso

The fact is they will still be over the cap this year as getting Wiki & Price caused them to go over and they will still be there so i reckon it is a fair decision.

They wouldn't have quite a few of their players had they not cheated and it is only four points, not 20 or so.

Will make it very hard in an even comp though.

If they had a shocking season they could even end on minus points. Now that would be a first!!!!

That would be funny by essentially they have only docked their bye points, not taken away any points earn't by a win.

Yes it will be hard for them but they should have thought about it before they made the offers.

the dogs still had their players the year they won the comp and the fact is they would not have had them otherwise. The storm still had their players for the 3 years they were over without losing points. The dragons still had their players when they were over. Hardly seems fair to me.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6