Walker absolute Key to 2020 Success

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Dylan Walker has had his critics, but credit where it's due....
He has improved out of sight at 5/8, where his ball skills especially were top notch in the finals of 2019 and though in slushy conditions round 1 vs Storm could not be judged, his performance vs Roosters round 2 were positive.
Walker threw some nice long flat cutout passes to stretch the Roosters on early tackles and then straightened the attack through the middle, aiming his big forwards at their little halves Flanagan and Keary to bend the line setting up the next attack.
He took the run option a few times also poking his head through the line and looking dangerous.
The ONLY area's I feel he can improve is the kicking game and most importantly support play, as Manly have a heap of players who provide second phase and if Walker can join forces with Tommy pushing up around the ball a bit more, there could be massive dividends.
Only a while back looking for that special 6 to compliment DCE and there was reason for this, but the way Walker has improved recently, super excited and confident he could be up with the most important Manly player in 2020 to bring back the Success we all want.
What's the thoughts Silvertails....is Walker who is a star centre a long term at 5/8 or just a fill in ?
Or is the kid with the world at his feet Schuster, a show in 2020, or a slow build to be saved for 2021.

I've never been a Walker fan but I may be wrong as he is constantly praised on this Forum. He doesn't get involved enough for my liking.
I have predicted that before the season is out Schuster will be our 5/8 and Walker will probably be one of our centres.
Would have agreed, but there won't be enough development opportunity for young players now. NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg cancelled. Only experienced first graders will be considered, unless clubs are desperate.

I agree pretty much with everything you've said @maxta. As for long term, I think it will depend on the development of Schuster. Walker has the ability to stay there long term, but you wouldn't want him blocking Schuster's path if he looks like realising his potential.

Walker is doing his job well but would explode running off a skillful ball player putting him into space. So its a win / win for us either way. I expect to see Schuster get a run before too long. Injuries may well make that decision. Exciting times ahead.

most importantly support play, as Manly have a heap of players who provide second phase and if Walker can join forces with Tommy pushing up around the ball a bit more, there could be massive dividends.

^ This ..

His kicking game is adaquete and a good enough foil for cherry, you probably only want him kicking 2 out of 10 , as its nothing special. I think he could become dangerous as a good kick and chase of his own short kicks, and the low percentage stuff , anywhere on the field if he gets a few chances on last . He finishes sets off ok as a defensive option generally. Our wingers dont compete much though

he is not the man to lead us around in the first 10 or 15 minutes of games although he appeared to , in the opening rounds.

Another mini off season will do him good to reflect . With all outside backs fit its the teams best option

If we had a better 5/8 option he’d be in the centres , much as when Foran came around Lyon moved back there.

Early days for Schuster but it might happen.

I agree he is definitely a key man. Whether that be as our 5/8 or as a double strike centre combo with Suli. Either way we need him to fire. I have such high hopes for Schuster and I have no doubt he can and will handle 1st grade this year.
I see Levi as another key man, Fainu suits our style of play and Levi has massive shoes to fill. Im hoping for a breakout year for a few of our players and the sky is the limit

I disliked Walker when he joined us. He was rocks and diamonds as a centre, which I believe was down to attitude. However, I have seen a big shift in said attitude since his return from his "no fault" hiatus, he saw the writing on the wall and has taken more ownership of the team ever since. I believe he re-signed with us for unders knowing he would get first crack at 5/8 and wanted to prove how valuable he could be going forward. With focus and effort he might just end up being a fan favourite.

Walker is the classic flawed star. He was killing it in first grade as a mere 18 year old, played for Australia, then in trouble with party drugs or something around the time he joined us, since then he has punched a door and gone to court on domestic charges. Yet he has a nice smile and a good turn of foot and his teammates love having him helping to stir up the opposition. If he sticks around (which it looks like he will) he has the ability to become part of Sea Eagle folk lore.

I watched some manly highlights of 2011 lately and the one main thing ive noticed is that Snake, Foz and Dce were always, always there when breaks were made, as were players like killer, glenn stewart, roberston when an opportunity presented itself. We are improving our support play and confidence but thats key for 2020 to keep developing. By mid season we need to see some big combos develop on our edges, with plenty of options to go back to the middle from the likes of trbo, dce and walker when big breaks are made. Then by end of season our short kicking game needs to develop combos and pressure as well. We just need more of snake and foz's instinct, and think we'll find it as the combos grow this year.

I think he will be out 5/8 till one of the others play well in Reggie's and well enough to push Walker back to the centres and unfortunately Parker will be squeezed out , Walker is a better centre than Parker it's whether the others are a better option at 5/8 than Walker

People seem to overlook the fact that as far as 5/8's at Manly go right now, the general pecking order seems to be - Walker, Croker, Cust and then Schuster.

Des seems quite happy with Walker's progress at pivot. And given that the NRL side is likely to be the only Manly side playing for the rest of the year, it will take an injury toll a-la 2018 before Schuster, as talented as he is, will get a run in first grade in 2020.

Walker is the classic flawed star. He was killing it in first grade as a mere 18 year old, played for Australia, then in trouble with party drugs or something around the time he joined us, since then he has punched a door and gone to court on domestic charges. Yet he has a nice smile and a good turn of foot and his teammates love having him helping to stir up the opposition. If he sticks around (which it looks like he will) he has the ability to become part of Sea Eagle folk lore.
He is one of the best blokes you’d ever meet. I met him at the fan day and he is an absolute champion. My kids and I absolutely loved him. Wishing him a massive season And hoping he kills it. Go Walks!!!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8