vs Toigers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I have a few observations about this game. I think there are two things that we need to do that will be key to stopping the Tigers.

1. We have to stop the offload. The Dragons were offloading a lot last weekend and it troubled us. The Tigers' attack revolves around a lot of offloading so it is critical we have intensity in defence, commit several players to the tackle and swarm over them - forcing them into error.

2. Talk. It was noticeable how much talk there was amongst the Tigers on Friday night. They were all yapping away. If Manly are going to play at 110% intensity and dominate in defense then we must at least match their talk and enthusiasm.

Agree with all that.

We know they are going to play a mobile game and try to run around our tired big men, so do we go for a mobile bench so we have less big men, or do we stack it with forwards so that the big fellas can be rotated, avoiding fatigue, and can't be run around so easily?

I don't think we have the problem with "big men fatigue" that other sides have - particularly the Panfers.

Kite has a big engine and King's fitness is much improved. There's no Rose and our backrow is mobile and we have 4 backrowers that are 80 minute players.

Cuthbo has out performed Hall consistently. It would be a travesty should Hall play ahead of Cuthbo, but no doubt it will happen.

Drop Bryant for mine. Hall has some grunt and can go forward. Bryant lacks penetration. Cuthbo has problems with his defense but is valuable for the offloads that he seems to be developing. I would like to see Burns on the bench because his defense around the rucks will be invaluable. Anyway we'll win for sure.

I'm staggered at everyone's confidence in our prospects this Friday TBH.

I see it as a real danger game with the very real potential for embarrasment.

Im guessing it stems from the Rnd 2 result.

The Tigers off loads and fast play the balls were identified prior to that match as the things to watch out for. We matched them in speed of play the ball. We exceeded their offloads by almost double, and we snuck in a greater posession rate.

Strangely there attack had us pinned in our 20 too many times with 2 line drop outs against their zero, but our defence was so good we frustrated them.

A point to note was a turn in game momentum was when Ballin kicked a 40/20. The difference in this game is no Ballin and Burns is replacd by Lyon.

The Tigers had a slow start to the season. their form of recent weeks is far removed from what they dished up on a very wet and slippery day in Round Two.

How much ball did they drop that day? A lot - and I won't hear that it was ALL forced by good defense.

The Tigers had a slow start to the season. their form of recent weeks is far removed from what they dished up on a very wet and slippery day in Round Two.

How much ball did they drop that day? A lot - and I won't hear that it was ALL forced by good defense.

Their form in Rnd 1 was good with a 18-16 result against the drizzle and i dont expect them to be vastly superior to that this week. They had an almost identical error rate to us that day but had twice as many penalties, piggy backing them downfield. Our defense was the primary reason for that win.

And I dont see their form in the last few rounds as dramatic in comparison to early on in the year either. In fact they have lost 3 out of their last 6.

As long as des reads your tactics we will be fine.

Maybe you should send him a copy just to make sure.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Their form in Rnd 1 was good with a 18-16 result against the drizzle and i dont expect them to be vastly superior to that this week. They had an almost identical error rate to us that day but had twice as many penalties, piggy backing them downfield. Our defense was the primary reason for that win.

Is that stats or perception?

I have been impressed with the Tigers' urgency and ability to play ad lib football in recent weeks, where our defence (apart from last week) has slipped (or been worked out).

I am worried about this game - I don't think it will be a walk in the park and we need to have our heads screwed on.

It's aways very difficult to win against the 'toigers' at Leichhardt, but we did. We did it with Benjii in their team plus that dickhead Hodges at the back. They're both missing, which cuts down their slippery mobility at the line. Granted they have been going OK recently, but against who? If you forget those two diabolical games we had recently, and look at the excellent defensive patterns last week, and over the season, we're home. What we have to do is hold the line and not rush up. Ease of the panic button, no stupid penalties for Clark to see, and play controlled footie. They have a small pack and rely on Farrar to scoot up the middle. Hall and Bryant, if they both play, will have to be smarter in their lateral defense and if Cuthbo gets a run he'll have to lose the arm slaps. I'd be happy with Burns or Ballin in rpalcing either of those three. Matai has to play smarter. Maybe this will be the game for Lyon to cut loose. Robbo to have another blinder.

Is that stats or perception?

I have been impressed with the Tigers' urgency and ability to play ad lib football in recent weeks, where our defence (apart from last week) has slipped (or been worked out).

I am worried about this game - I don't think it will be a walk in the park and we need to have our heads screwed on.

Both stats & perception. The stats were 16-15 errors and the penalties were 10 to 5 the Tigers way. I just dont see this game as a danger game. It will be a contest and I am not over confident, but I still reckon the odds are slightly in our favour.

Last home game for a while. We have some renewed enthusiasm born out of last weeks effort. I dont put too much stock in it, but the whole overrated tag is a bloody good thing for our motivation. And dont forget, they had Hodgson & Marshall playing in Rnd 2.

Farah playing half is good for us. He is very dangerous from dummy half and not as effective at half. They are mobile and need to be bashed by our big men in both attack and defence. Our defence out wide is generally very good. They shift the ball quickly to change the point of attack and it is important that we move laterally. A fit Beaver strengthens us in this department. Watmough and Stewart should do damage. They struggled to contain Pritchard and Puletua last week but both ran out of puff. We most control their momentum late in the half when they mobile forwards get a run along, as the big men tire. Field position is important too - though they can attack from anywhere. They will make mistakes if pressured.

We should be up for this one -

If nothing else the boys should be fired up for this game. 2nd most overated team, Lyon most over rated player, big win last week. We have a lot to play for. If we loose this one, we are no hope for the competition. We would be pretenders.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4