Voss on Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Why we love our footy: Voss
Wed 05 Aug, 2015, 9:30am
By Andrew Voss, NRL.com

image.ashx

Manly's Tom Trbojevic is a superstar of the future. Copyright: NRL Photos.
The young players lighting up the NRL Telstra Premiership, the Australian making a massive impact in the Super League and calls to use the sin bin more.

Why we love Rugby League at the moment?

That's easy. Valentine Holmes and the Trbojevic brothers.

I have now seen enough of Holmes to declare Cronulla has a potential NRL superstar in their ranks who is going to entertain us all for at least the next decade.

We first caught a glimpse at the Auckland Nines last year; then it was half a dozen matches late in the season.

But the highlights package of Holmes in 2015 up to last Saturday's blinding effort against the Warriors is five star.

Remember this is the kid who nailed the dropkick conversion from the sideline to send the Auckland Nines final this year into extra time.

And over at Manly you have a couple of local juniors, who like Holmes, are certain to be prominent figures in the NRL for the next 10 years.

Jake at prop gets better every week with quality and quantity in his workload. And Tom isn't just knocking on the door for regular first grade selection, he's damn near taken it off its hinges Des Hasler style!

And for Sea Eagles fans, how exciting is it to know that there are another two younger Trbojevic brothers showing enormous promise in the juniors?

As I said in commentary on Fox Sports last Saturday night, I struggle to spell their name but I love shouting it out as Tom sprints away to score a try. I've never been so certain of identifying a player who will top the 100 try milestone in his career.

What do we read into Brisbane's loss to Manly?

I reckon the answer comes on Friday night.

I think the size of the loss to the Sea Eagles is what delivers a question mark. The Broncos were totally outplayed, looking out of sorts from the opening minutes in Gosford.

But the loss is only their 4th of the season, and they are still top of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

How they bounce back at Suncorp against the Bulldogs will let us all know if the defeat was just a blip on the radar or evidence of a side with a few problems to sort out.

Adding merit to the Manly performance was that Brett Stewart played no part in the second half.

I still don't know if the Sea Eagles will make the playoffs, but I am convinced no side in the NRL would want to face them in the finals based on their form against Brisbane.

I used to like when Fox would have Gordie and Andy Raymond on Saturday night games.

Voss has the last laugh if Foxtel get the NRL rights in 2018. Kicked off 9 after being assassinated by Hadley, (who coincidentally got his job.........) thrown a life line by fox and now looking like he'll be the main man by 2018 while the arseholes at 9 line up at the CES.
Sounds good to me

Haha CES, showing your age there Pablo!

Ooh, nah... Never liked the way he consistently mis-pronounces a player's name, without ever checking he's got it right. And loud, too...HeighNington...HEIGHNINGTON...! Read it again buddy, there's no "N" in it...

Ha, i like how he gets excited! Abc radio grandstand do a good job, plus the commentator on tripple m for the Monday night games - he goes alright as well

Simple fact is that the Fox game callers currently leave Rabs for dead. Sometimes you just gotta tap a legend on the shoulder and let go.
Rabs is ok, It's Gus that ruins it. Gould doesn't realise his job is to commentate, not to pontificate.

Rabs is ok, It's Gus that ruins it. Gould doesn't realise his job is to commentate, not to pontificate.
Forty years ago at Redfern oval I met both Rex Mossop and Ray Warren, in all honesty Rex was a gentleman who was only too happy to talk football to a couple of young blokes on the other hand Ray Warren was up himself and spoke down to us as lesser beings , I've had no time for him since, I'll be a happy man when he retires the Parramatta loving ds.

They all suck...

but I think Warren Smith is the best of a bad bunch because at least he just calls the "action"; that is after all the whole point of calling the game.

I don't mind if the special comments relate to how a try or play was structured together and what a team can do to either get back in the game or close it out...instead they just talk nonsense, blow smoke up a few players arses (Inglis anyone?) or complain about the rules/referee.

I only care about the game itself and what's happening on the field, but it feels like a Daily Telegraph article is being read over the television whilst I am watching the game.

i don't mind any of them commentating on the game but what s#!ts me is the constant 'ads' on ch9 for other tv shows.
one minute they are talking about the game & the next they are telling us about a show that is on later in the week.

Forty years ago at Redfern oval I met both Rex Mossop and Ray Warren, in all honesty Rex was a gentleman who was only too happy to talk football to a couple of young blokes on the other hand Ray Warren was up himself and spoke down to us as lesser beings , I've had no time for him since, I'll be a happy man when he retires the Parramatta loving ds.
I know a woman who used to work for a bookie at Randwick. She was telling me about various characters she'd see on course. She said the same thing about Warren, her exact words were "He walked around like he had a stick up his arse "

they just talk nonsense, blow smoke up a few players arses (Inglis anyone?) or complain about the rules/referee.

I only care about the game itself and what's happening on the field, but it feels like a Daily Telegraph article is being read over the television whilst I am watching the game.
Sad but true

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4