V'Landys wants crowds back by July 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ellakasmar

Reserve Grader
If V'Landys can pull this off - then wow!!

Hoping for capped crowds starting with paying members and sponsors with an aim for July 1 to begin. He mentioned a stadium like ANZ may be capped at 20,000 people, but Kogarah may have a maximum of 5,000. Though he did say these numbers are not definite at all and calculations would have to be done.

Regardless, I am SO excited to even have the possibility of being back at the footy this season. I was thinking, I am sure our cases around round 1 (15th March) were more prevalent then than they are now. So give it five more weeks with hopefully no hiccups and lets get this show on the road!

Peter V'landys hopes for NRL crowds to return by July 1

On the eve of rugby league’s season relaunch, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has made a stunning admission that spells excellent news for footy-starved fans.

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
May 24, 2020 3:00pm
Close
With the NRL’s highly anticipated return now just days away, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has revealed his next huge mission: To get paying members back at games by July 1, and sponsors even sooner.

V’landys made the stunning admission to The Daily Telegraph that will come as a massive shot in the arm to footy-starved fans.

While clubs have copped some backlash for asking members to keep up their financial support through the COVID-19 shutdown, V’landys said now he wanted to reward them for their loyalty.

Asked if he had a specific date in mind when he thinks crowds will return, V’landys didn’t hesitate: “I am going to aim for July 1 to see what we can do.

“We want the sponsors in there as quickly as possible.

“You are allowed so many people so we will start looking at that with the biosecurity measures in the coming weeks.

“And I am not saying capacity crowds. I have to stress capped crowds. That is one way you can reward the members that have stuck firm.”

While V’landys has been questioned and even ridiculed for his dogged determination to get the game back up and running, he said he always had a plan to open the game back up to the fans.

“There was a lot of things in my head when I went with the 20 rounds (schedule),” he continued.

“One was to make the competition credible. Two to go as late as possible into October so we can get a grand final with a crowd and then State of Origin with a crowd. That was always in my head.

“And touch wood and thank God so far I have predicted accurately. I said we’d be able to stay in Queensland. I said we’d stay in Victoria. I said we wouldn’t need bubbles.

“So everything we have said has come to fruition.

“The last puzzle now is the crowds.”

Asked about how many members would be allowed to attend games, V’landys added: “It depends on the ground and how far you can distance them.

“In ANZ you might be able to get 20,000 with social distancing, whereas somewhere like Kogarah you might get 5000. I am only guessing these figures, but it is absolutely on the radar. That is the next challenge.

“But I want to reward the members of the clubs. That is who I want to reward. As I have said many times, people who give me loyalty I give it back in spades.

“Those members who have stayed loyal I will be rewarding.”

Under the revised draw round eight starts on July 2 and the NRL already has venues locked in until the end of round nine.

So obviously the NRL will still have to work the details on how this can happen fairly given most clubs will have more members than potential available tickets.

For instance at a club like South Sydney with 28,000-plus members they might have to take it in turns to attend the home games initially, or the NRL might split the fans from both rival clubs.

But what V’landys has proven previously is that he will move mountains to make the seemingly impossible possible as he did with getting the NRL back so early, so members have every reason to trust his intentions now are genuine.

V’landys added: “I have to be careful to say they are capped (crowds) and with social distancing. But once pubs and clubs are in full swing there is no reason why we can’t.

“Again, we are going to look at the statistics. But if between now and the end of June the infection rate stays where it is, well, I can’t see any reason why not.”

On the eve of rugby league’s season relaunch, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has made a stunning admission that spells excellent news for footy-starved fans.

Subscriber only
|
May 24, 2020 3:00pm
Close
With the NRL’s highly anticipated return now just days away, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has revealed his next huge mission: To get paying members back at games by July 1, and sponsors even sooner.

V’landys made the stunning admission to The Daily Telegraph that will come as a massive shot in the arm to footy-starved fans.

While clubs have copped some backlash for asking members to keep up their financial support through the COVID-19 shutdown, V’landys said now he wanted to reward them for their loyalty.

Asked if he had a specific date in mind when he thinks crowds will return, V’landys didn’t hesitate: “I am going to aim for July 1 to see what we can do.

“You are allowed so many people so we will start looking at that with the biosecurity measures in the coming weeks.

“And I am not saying capacity crowds. I have to stress capped crowds. That is one way you can reward the members that have stuck firm.”

While V’landys has been questioned and even ridiculed for his dogged determination to get the game back up and running, he said he always had a plan to open the game back up to the fans.

“There was a lot of things in my head when I went with the 20 rounds (schedule),” he continued.

“One was to make the competition credible. Two to go as late as possible into October so we can get a grand final with a crowd and then State of Origin with a crowd. That was always in my head.

“And touch wood and thank God so far I have predicted accurately. I said we’d be able to stay in Queensland. I said we’d stay in Victoria. I said we wouldn’t need bubbles.

Asked about how many members would be allowed to attend games, V’landys added: “It depends on the ground and how far you can distance them.

“In ANZ you might be able to get 20,000 with social distancing, whereas somewhere like Kogarah you might get 5000. I am only guessing these figures, but it is absolutely on the radar. That is the next challenge.

“But I want to reward the members of the clubs. That is who I want to reward. As I have said many times, people who give me loyalty I give it back in spades.

Under the revised draw round eight starts on July 2 and the NRL already has venues locked in until the end of round nine.

So obviously the NRL will still have to work the details on how this can happen fairly given most clubs will have more members than potential available tickets.

For instance at a club like South Sydney with 28,000-plus members they might have to take it in turns to attend the home games initially, or the NRL might split the fans from both rival clubs.

But what V’landys has proven previously is that he will move mountains to make the seemingly impossible possible as he did with getting the NRL back so early, so members have every reason to trust his intentions now are genuine.

V’landys added: “I have to be careful to say they are capped (crowds) and with social distancing. But once pubs and clubs are in full swing there is no reason why we can’t.

“Again, we are going to look at the statistics. But if between now and the end of June the infection rate stays where it is, well, I can’t see any reason why not.”

You gotta say, PVL is a breath of fresh air in this game after a decade or more of..........well, absolute ****!!

Last edited:
Why not, he has pulled off everything so far and is miles ahead of any other sport, except racing, which surprise surprise, he heads. All I can say is thank Christ we at last have a professional, passionate and intelligent head of our code after the past 20 odd years of fukctardery.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has poured cold water on ARLC boss Peter V’landys’ plan to get crowds back into stadiums by July 1, saying the NRL isn’t even on the list of industries the government is considering for reopening.

Subscriber only
|
May 25, 2020 1:22pm
Close
It is “too soon to speculate” whether crowds would be allowed in to NRL games from July 1, the state’s Chief Health Officer says.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the government was not yet considering ARL Commission chairman Peter V’Landys’ plan to get spectators back to stadiums.

“We’re working our way through the list. And that’s not on the list as yet,” Berejiklian said on Monday.

Dr Kerry Chant said the government would need to work through concerns about large crowds and groups mingling with others.

“We are considering every organisation’s needs and are happy to work with them on looking at how to create that COVID-safer environment,” she said.

With the NRL’s highly anticipated return now just days away, V’landys revealed his next huge mission: To get paying members back at games by July 1, and sponsors even sooner.

And The Daily Telegraph can reveal which fans are first in line to secure their tickets to games.

The NSW govt made similar comments to this when PVL was canvassing the 28 May recommencement - -- it seems its never over til its over with him. What stupendous leadership.
They also said in the same sentence that they arent considering it but then went on to say they are considering every organisation's needs. Dribblers

This appears to be the biggest downside of our draw, if crowds are eventually allowed to return this year, 5 of our last 7 games are away, so we will have less opportunity attend. Wonder if we would consider moving games to accommodate more members. Brookie could only hold 5k with social distancing and that's presuming they could work out how to enforce it on the hill, whereas Homebush could hold 20k all with reserved seating. Wish the SFS was still there as that would probably be the best compromise. Anyone know how to find out how many of our 12k members are ticketed?

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has poured cold water on ARLC boss Peter V’landys’ plan to get crowds back into stadiums by July 1, saying the NRL isn’t even on the list of industries the government is considering for reopening.

Subscriber only
|
May 25, 2020 1:22pm
Close
It is “too soon to speculate” whether crowds would be allowed in to NRL games from July 1, the state’s Chief Health Officer says.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the government was not yet considering ARL Commission chairman Peter V’Landys’ plan to get spectators back to stadiums.

“We’re working our way through the list. And that’s not on the list as yet,” Berejiklian said on Monday.

Dr Kerry Chant said the government would need to work through concerns about large crowds and groups mingling with others.

“We are considering every organisation’s needs and are happy to work with them on looking at how to create that COVID-safer environment,” she said.

With the NRL’s highly anticipated return now just days away, V’landys revealed his next huge mission: To get paying members back at games by July 1, and sponsors even sooner.

And The Daily Telegraph can reveal which fans are first in line to secure their tickets to games.

Gladys is doing a "Western Australia" on our crowds!!

I think someone might be getting a slight case of The Messiahs.
Hospitality and the Arts would need a full opening before this was to happen. And don’t forget, the entire Italian outbreak originated at a big soccer game.
Not that I’d reject a personal invitation to motor on down the road to Central Coast Stadium to sit by myself and watch our boys!

We have a Grand total of 5 serious cases in the whole of Australia .... the past 2 days have seem 4 new cases and 3 new cases .....

If these figures continue to drop over the next 4 weeks ... it will be almost impossible to put forth a rational arguement for continued isolation ....

The test will be the first 2 weeks of pubs and restuarants re-opening and if there are any major blow outs of new cases .... but in the absesce of that .... Sir Peter will get his way ...

We have a Grand total of 5 serious cases in the whole of Australia .... the past 2 days have seem 4 new cases and 3 new cases .....

If these figures continue to drop over the next 4 weeks ... it will be almost impossible to put forth a rational arguement for continued isolation ....

The test will be the first 2 weeks of pubs and restuarants re-opening and if there are any major blow outs of new cases .... but in the absesce of that .... Sir Peter will get his way ...
Except in Queensland where Plucka Duck is acting like an Ostrich , head stuck firmly in the sand!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6