v'landy 'cap exemptions to buy good players'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In today's episode of what could possibly go wrong....

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys wants NRL clubs to actively target Wallabies stars – and they will be given a financial incentive to do so.

V’landys has revealed an audacious cut-price Wallaby plan to counter Rugby Australia’s intentions to chase the best players in rugby league.

V’landys is sick of NRL stars being linked to rugby – correctly or through their managers trying to drive up their prices. He is also clearly frustrated by the aggressive approach of his rugby counterpart, Hamish McLennan, who is gaining plenty of traction with his combative style.

“We have been looking at bringing in salary cap exemptions for players from other countries for some time,” V’landys said. “It was about bringing in players from America and other nations. It would also apply to players from other sports. And, yes, other sports includes rugby.

“If a Wallaby or an All Black wanted to come over, we’d look at cap exemptions for sure. We have been looking at this for quite a while, and it’s a good time to revisit this. It’s something I’d like to see come in and come in now.”
An obvious target is rising star Max Jorgensen, although he recently re-signed with Rugby Australia until the end of 2024. However, he is just 18 years old, and Kangaroos and Blues great Laurie Daley has already said the teenager is a $1 million player in league.

Jorgensen trained with the Roosters while a schoolboy, and players were impressed with his athleticism, some comparing him to skipper James Tedesco at a similar age. If he was a discount buy under the NRL salary cap, he would have even more appeal.

There are also a range of former league players in the rugby ranks, and All Blacks galore, NRL clubs could target, from former Storm star Suliasi Vunivalu at the Queensland Reds to Semi Radradra, who scored 82 tries in 94 games for the Eels and is now raking in the cash in European rugby.

Other names include Marika Koroibete, who played 74 NRL games before winning the John Eales Medal in 2019 as rugby’s best in Australia, bullocking centre Samu Kerevi and Izaia Perese, who played two games with the Broncos in his younger years.

If V’landys gets his way, it could also impede rugby’s pursuit of NRL stars. Brisbane’s Payne Haas and South Sydney’s Cameron Murray are just two of the big names rugby bosses have an interest in. They may be forced to divert some of the millions from the 2025 British and Irish Lions tour and 2027 home World Cup into hanging on to their own talent.

(Notice how all of a sudden the Manly players from a couple of weeks ago aren't mentioned?)

Surely it would lead to the best players (and their agents) becoming even more mercenary. Go to rugby for a couple of years for a financial inducement, return to league for a further financial inducement. I would sooner see cap relief given to stop players leaving in the first place, although I'm not sure how this could be policed and all of a sudden the Roosters would have all of their players as rugby targets. Maybe 1 or 2 per team, I dunno. Players come and go, the game survives

Yes I can see a ton of unintended consequences in this idea. Cap relief for particular reasons can be exploited from every direction. A hollow threat in my opinion. Tread carefully Mr V'landys.

Uncle Nick will tell players he is after to sign with rugby.
Off they go for a month and turn around saying they aren't happy to sign a contract at Easts with a rugby relief cap exception.

The NRL need to stop changing various rules every 5 minutes just for the sake of it.

Not a fan of Mr V and his knee jerk rule changes. The NRL needs to be consistent and transparent. We are always going to have players chasing the dollars elsewhere. There is no need to be making exceptions which is just creating more scope for inconsistent decisions. Let it go Mr V.

This is stupid. There are very few wallabies or super 10 players above RL reserve grade standard. It will be a joke if this is used to buy back players that already jumped ship, eg the eels winger playing in france (name escapes me, already forgotten).

PVL is just upset that he is being out muscled in the Rent-a-Quote stakes. The RA chairman is doing a good job of getting rugby in the papers at the moment.

Good grief ... it is shot cross the bows of rugby to say .. pull your heads in ...

Rugby might have the money for couple of big ticket players ...

but rugby league with 17 teams have the money to buy every wallaby and their first born offspring .. there would be only one winner ...

and none of the criticisms I have heard couldn't be taken care of in the conditions ...

Waiting for the inevitable headline soon, Just a Manly Conspiracy so that they can buy back Tom Wright

I will take:

Kerevi
Perese
Petaia
Lolesio
Nawaqanitawase
Savea
Dupont
Bofelli
Steward
Capuozzo
And any of the Barretts

Waiting for the inevitable headline soon, Just a Manly Conspiracy so that they can buy back Tom Wright
Even Andrew Johns said it would be easy to rort - just get your good young players to go to RU for one year, and then get them to return on a deal that is literally subsidized by the NRL.

"Make your cap dollars go further" could be the catch-cry.

The Roosters will make it a new science.

Even Andrew Johns said it would be easy to rort - just get your good young players to go to RU for one year, and then get them to return on a deal that is literally subsidized by the NRL.

"Make your cap dollars go further" could be the catch-cry.

The Roosters will make it a new science.

Never occurred to Johns that all the NRL has to do is say it is only available to players who have never played Rugby League at any level at any club previously ... or have been gone a min of 3/4 years

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4