Video bunker confirmed for 2016

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
The Australian Rugby League Commission has approved the implementation of a Central Command Centre for video referee reviews, starting in the 2016 season.

Head of Football Todd Greenberg said the new centre, which will be a first for Australian sport, will be based at NEP Australia at Australian Technology Park in Eveleigh, Sydney.

He said the centre, which will utilise Hawk-Eye Innovations video review technology and be supported by Telstra's Digital Video Network platform, will be "a game-changer for Rugby League".

It has the potential to halve the time taken to review a decision – and deliver more accurate results, Mr Greenberg said.

"We have been through an exhaustive trial process because this is so important for our fans," Mr Greenberg said.

"Now that it has been approved by the Commission we will begin work on the facility so it is up and running in time for the start of the 2016 season."

Mr Greenberg said the centre was designed to improve "accuracy, efficiency, consistency as well as transparency" of the decision-making process.

"Our video referees will be using state-of-the-art technology," Mr Greenberg said.

"We will control the vision, and the improved technology means we will be able to make informed decisions much quicker.

"Our video referees will have access to multiple camera angles and playback control for all reviewable decisions. Touch screen interfaces, zoom functions and split screens will further enhance the decision making process.

"Recent trials have shown that video referees can review decisions in an average of about 40 seconds when they have relevant angles and enhanced video review technology available at their fingertips.

"That's half the current average time our video referees take to make a decision – and that will be our target next season."

Mr Greenberg said the Central Command Centre would be introduced in conjunction with a reduction in interchanges and the introduction of a shot clock to achieve the NRL's objective of more game continuity.

"Those three key changes are all part of our strategy to make the game more continuous and deliver a better spectacle for our fans," he said.

"Ultimately, it has the potential to help us make the right decisions – and to make them quicker.

"But more than that, this system will allow us to be more transparent and transform the fan experience in partnership with NRL broadcasters through the live explanation of decisions to fans.

"I cannot overstate this – we will get more decisions right.

"And we will take significantly less time to reach those decisions."

Mr Greenberg thanked NEP, the world renowned broadcast solution provider who will house the new facility, Hawk-Eye Innovations who will provide the video review technology as well as Telstra, who will provide the digital video network connectivity platform to deliver this Australian first initiative.

http://www.nrl.com/video-bunker-confirmed-for-2016/tabid/10874/newsid/90491/default.aspx

I Wonder how Hawkeye will help.
Going to laugh so hard iF there is a massive blunder in the first week, aslong as it doesn't cost manly a win :p

With all this whizz bang technology will they now be able to rule on forward passes?
Also, with the poor on-field ref be able to signal NFI or still have to guess between Try or No-Try?

So innovative! So NHL ten years ago!

Coaches challenge (NHL) used for the first time last night....and then again tonight.

In both instances the coach was correct and the goal had to be reversed.

fyi y'all.

Also...the tmo at the rugby world cup can rule on forward passes! And the ref's doesn't need to say try or no try.

Again fyi y'all (not nec directed at loooooobs)

"I cannot overstate this – we will get more decisions right."

hahah Toddy, i think you just did.

All those angles, touch screens, zooms and hawk eye and they still can't call on forward passes ... $#@!

To be safe we better employ the use of some satellites too Toddy, then you can project chicken time onto the entire field from space! imagine what you can charge the colonel for that!

Coaches challenge (NHL) used for the first time last night....and then again tonight.

In both instances the coach was correct and the goal had to be reversed.

fyi y'all.

Also...the tmo at the rugby world cup can rule on forward passes! And the ref's doesn't need to say try or no try.

Again fyi y'all (not nec directed at loooooobs)
Look forward to all this being implemented circa 2030!

With all this whizz bang technology will they now be able to rule on forward passes?
Also, with the poor on-field ref be able to signal NFI or still have to guess between Try or No-Try?
They will never use the video ref for a forward pass, due to the angle of the camera, if the camera was following the play and overhead, then maybe.
The ball can be passed before a line and caught after a line and still be a good pass as long as it left the hands in a backward motion, the ball is allowed to travel forward without it being a forward pass.
Having said that, most short passes from dummy half are forward.

I'm pretty sure I saw a bomb brush that ****ing annoying overhead camera during the GF...

To me it's a bit like my apparently now shamed VW. As long as the thing works (and it does) don't bore me with the details.
Same here. Get the decisions right and don't carry on about how you do it.

Great news,now all the rubbish decisions can be made in the one spot.Another over spent, over rated idea this administration think will work based on a sport that is nothing like League.This system needs to work for Greenturd and Smith to survive,thankfully I suspect there will be problems

The longest press release ever. Can we seal the room for good once Todd and the refs are in it?

So now they will just come to the wrong decision quicker than they do now

i watched the Seattle v Detroit Nfl game the other day and they had a major blunder and they quoted that the bunker was unable to over rule the line judge
My point is that a referee will always make a bad call
Just less replays and get on with the game
I'm sure these blokes who run the game are just trying to justify there position

I remember reading about a revolutionary idea whereby you divide the referees by half, keeping the very best to individually referee each game, and put the remaining obviously still talented referees on the sidelines thereby lifting the experience of the current linesmen. You then give these linesmen added responsibilities like calling forward passes and assisting the referees.

I think this concept was in a book from around 1959 titled "Rugby League: Refereeing in the Sixties".

Bunker is a utter waste of money. Won't even fix Toddy's timekeeper standing on a chair to see Brookie corners! LOL!!!

Best model was using in-goal touchies in mid 1990s. Fast decisions & almost 100% correct.

They will never use the video ref for a forward pass, due to the angle of the camera, if the camera was following the play and overhead, then maybe.
The ball can be passed before a line and caught after a line and still be a good pass as long as it left the hands in a backward motion, the ball is allowed to travel forward without it being a forward pass.
Having said that, most short passes from dummy half are forward.

What about knock ons then...they have to judge its gone forward

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4