Vale Nick Yakich

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Had the pleasure of watching Nick and his brother Fred in the 60's ... condolences to the family ...

Nick played 76 games for manly and scored 52 tries ... a strike rate of 68% ... bloody good in any era ... he also played 3 games for NSW ... and was selected in the Australian team in '66 .. but never debuted because he couldn't unseat Cleary and Irvine on tour ...

Last edited:
Had the pleasure of watching Nick and his brother Fred in the 60's ... condolences to the family ...

Nick played 76 games for manly and scored 52 tries ... a strike rate of 68% ... bloody good in any era ... he also played 3 games for NSW ... and was selected in the Australian team in '66 .. but never debuted because he couldn't unseat Cleary and Irvine on tour ...
Thanks Woodsie, but ever so slight correction - he toured NZ in 1965. He must have played some minor games (but as you say no tests), because he is listed as an international.

Saw him once or twice going out at Warriewood on a ‘ski. That was late ‘79.

Both just a sidg
I'm old enough to remember Fred and Nick on the wings for Manly. Both were the type of exciting wingers that you rose to your feet whenever they had the ball.
VALE.
Both just a smidgen before my time, never saw either play first grade, but certainly remember both names in the rugby league magazine.

Like some of you older supporters I loved watching Nick and Fred Yakich. They were among the first players I remember watching when I started watching the game and I loved sitting on the Hill (20 metre line northern end). Looked forward to seeing them every week. Those two and others from that era were the group that I most cherished over the years, Martin, Day, Veivers, Morgan, Tennant, Stanton, Bradstreet, Jones, Batty, Hannigan and a young bloke called Fulton. The late 60s. Great days. Thanks Nick for being a significant part of my teenage years..

Bit before my time. But it's great to hear the older crew (I say that respectfully) reliving their memories of him.

Fred was also a PE teacher at my school Barrenjoey High School in the late 70's

Fred moved around a lot from all accounts. Narrabeen (boys?) High, Cromer early to mid 70's then Barrenjoey late 70's. I remember watching both brothers play in the late 60's. I vaguely recall seeing both brothers together in my HS days at Cromer. Did they look like twins?

Vale Nick.

I had the pleasure of both seeing both Nick and Fred play and also, as recent as last year, playing bowls with them both at the late North Manly Bowlo.

Nick was a true gentleman (as was Fred a true character). Fred contended that Nick was accredited with a few of his own tries as "they got it mixed up!"

Nick was extremely fast, but this legs not always sound. A true clubman, brought to our Club, with his brother Fred, by the great Arko.

I am very saddened by this news. RIP Nick.

Like some of you older supporters I loved watching Nick and Fred Yakich. They were among the first players I remember watching when I started watching the game and I loved sitting on the Hill (20 metre line northern end). Looked forward to seeing them every week. Those two and others from that era were the group that I most cherished over the years, Martin, Day, Veivers, Morgan, Tennant, Stanton, Bradstreet, Jones, Batty, Hannigan and a young bloke called Fulton. The late 60s. Great days. Thanks Nick for being a significant part of my teenage years..

would have been sitting close to you Bearfax .... I remember getting in early to watch some mates in Thirds playing one Sunday afternoon, I think we were playing Norths, Mick Veivers and his wife and baby and his mother-in-law were sitting on a blanket in front of us ... Mick left do do something and while he was away a pack of loud swearing grummets came and stood close by, they were going off, anyway Mick came back and his wife must have said something coz he strolled up to the lads and told them it was not on to swear around the women folk and he hoped they would stop .... not another peep ... great days watching great (mostly), local boys playing ... the Yakich bros were great as were all the others you mentioned .... & don't forget Mighty Mouse ... very Tooviesque ... small and tough

Fred moved around a lot from all accounts. Narrabeen (boys?) High, Cromer early to mid 70's then Barrenjoey late 70's. I remember watching both brothers play in the late 60's. I vaguely recall seeing both brothers together in my HS days at Cromer. Did they look like twins?

Vale Nick.
Yes, it was Narrabeen Boys when Fred was there. I feel old......

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8