utility role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
We should rethink the utility bench role for 2018.

Nothing against Brown, but we need more impact and less versatility in utility.

With three forwards who play 80 mins (Jake, Frank, Sirro) - and three props on the bench - do we really need a utility who can also play second-row?

We shouldn't replace Api in games unless absolutely necessary.

I think utility should come from:

- Tom Wright
- Jamil Hopoate
- Jorge

Each would offer more impact/ x factor than Brown although not as much positional coverage.

Good way to blood Wright or Hopoate in NRL in short stints, and add more pace (even a goal kicker) to wing position.

Plus, Brown's salary could be spent on upgrading T Wright & other top juniors.

Api could use a stint here and there but when he isnt on the field we struggle for points everywhere. No in all seriousness he does have a lack of quality in his passing late in games, even I can see it through my Api love colored glasses. He shouldnt be turned into what Cowboys do with Granville which is 20 minutes stints on field, he just wouldn't have enough time on the field. In games when we are powering, Api has no trouble with the 80 minutes, but in big defence based games he tends to go about 65 minute mark and thats purely based on the way he defends which is all in and throwing his body around no matter what. Personally Id like to go with a young gun in Fainu off the bench, he could play 20 minutes a game, gain experience. If we have an injury in the halves Api or him can cover that problem. Injury at hooker, Fainu can cover it. Backline injury, Frank can be pushed to centre and one of our centres to the wing.

Fainu, Tanginoa, Hoppa or Paseka for mine. Maybe even Joey Lussick, Api isn't effective for the full 80 just yet although they could improve his fitness over the offseason so we can blood a young player other than a dummy half

Jorge most affective position is wing.
Api goes hard non stop and can run out of puff
We do need a quality utility that makes an impact off the bench and not just fills in like Brown.
We don't need Brown as he is past it . Getting rid of Brown gives some up and coming players an opportunity to excel .

I know Brown has his detractors but he has performed well in this role. 14 needs to be an athletic 9 replacement who can fill in at centre or even the halves at a pinch. Api himself would be great, maybe Cullen. Not Jorge (please please please stop trying to reinvent him, he is great as a kick returning winger who can bulldoze over for a try). I don't know enough about Tom or Jamil to comment.

I don't think Lewis went too bad in the last part of the year but I'm not sure he has the zip required at dummy half.
And I think Api should have a bit of a spell to keep him fresh but I'd limit that to 10min.
Cullen would be my pick to focus on for the replacement 9 in the off season.

I know Brown has his detractors but he has performed well in this role. 14 needs to be an athletic 9 replacement who can fill in at centre or even the halves at a pinch. Api himself would be great, maybe Cullen. Not Jorge (please please please stop trying to reinvent him, he is great as a kick returning winger who can bulldoze over for a try). I don't know enough about Tom or Jamil to comment.
I agree. Brown has a lot of underrated value as a utility. We've had him cover hooker for Api and how about those games where we've had injuries in the backline or the backrow? Brown has been more than a decent fill in.

Le Strange worked a treat for Matt Ballin in the 07-08 seasons, maybe we need to bring up Cullen to play the identical role and just have 3 boppers on the bench ( especially if Sirro and Frankenstein can play 80).

• 👍
Reactions: R3
unless we are dominating Api tires and his passing hurts us big time so someone needs to be there to give him a break.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8