URGENT!! Brookvale Oval Funding - You have 4 days

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Christol74

Reserve Grader
Hi all,

Once every 3 or 4 years politicians turn on their hearing aids for a short period of time in a phenomenon commonly referred to as the lead up to an election.  What they hope to hear is nothing but the sound of their own voices. What they fear is the dreaded sound of a loud and angry group of voters demanding answers because they have to respond. Only once during this election campaign has the question over the neglected home ground of the Manly Sea Eagles been raised and it brought an immediate response from mike baird who managed to silence the issue without committing to anything. "I'll do my best" is political speak for  'Your not getting what you want but please shut up until after the election'

I believe this is the last chance for brooky and I urge every Manly Fan to call, email, and/or meet with councilors and politicians and demand an answers to the following questions?

At the last State election The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles lobbied and recieved $6million in funding from the State Labor government. Since then there has been four years of stalling tactics with community consultations , breakfast meetings and lies. Over the past four years the Federal Government has provided over $1billion dollars in funding for sports grounds around the country through the Regional and Local Community Infrastructure Program and there is only one reason that Brookvale oval missed out.

THE COUNCIL NEVER SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION AND NEITHER DID THE STATE REPRESENTATIVE MIKE BAIRD.

The Federal Labor Government would have liked nothing more than to join the State Labor government and fund the Brookvale Oval upgrade, a project that the Federal member for Warringah failed to deliver in 16 years. It did not happen because there is no way that the Liberals were going to allow a Labor plaque on such an important project to the people in the safest Liberal seat in the country.

The past four years has been smoke and mirrors and if you dont believe me ask them yourself. The only projects that Warringah council applied for was those put forward by the Greens and Labor approved every one. They have had four separate opportunities to submit a proposal for funding Brookvale and they refused to do it. In fact the only person to raise the question as to why they were not going for the Federal funding was the greens councillor most opposed to the development.

There is a council meeting tonight where Warringah Councilors will confirm their motion from last month to keep secret their plans for acquisitions and developments in the area until 8 weeks after the State Election. Who are they representing? Themselves or the State and Federal Liberal and Greens parties? It is certainly not the people who live on the peninsula.

This the last chance to make noise. Ask the councilors, ask the Liberal and Labor State canditates and ask Kenneally and O'Farrell. Otherwise it will be at least 8 years before any upgrade will be happening at Brookvale and i doubt we will still be there if that is the case..

http://203.221.217.132/council_then/documents/20110301extram.pdf

I think our best hope for a stadium upgarde is a fully functional Independent Commission.  We need that to happen and then for them to take up the fight for us.

What are the email address for the councilors, the Liberal and Labor State candidates and Kenneally and O'Farrell?

Fluffy link said:
Well written
Yes, well written by someone who sounds like a card-carrying member of that pathetic schmozzle of a Labor Party that have dudded NSW for the last 16 years with their very own 'smoke and mirrors' routine.

For a start, Abbott's party has not been in office federally since 2007. So it's a bit hard for him to find the money whilst he is not in office. But he has promised money over the last two federal campaigns and he nearly won last year. He also secured funding for the lighting in 2005. Without that lighting, we might already be playing out of another venue.

Where is your evidence that Labor, at the federal level, would have spent the money in a blue ribbon Liberal electorate? 'At least 8 years before any upgrade'? What, you expect that nothing will happen (to Brookvale Oval) until the next Sussex Street nonentity leads a revitalised ALP to victory in 2019? What makes you so certain they will be back so soon?

The Council is merely spending funds to get the ground back to a suitable baseline that more or less accords with the Park's Plan of Management. The onus is on the Club - to get smart about how they lobby for funding. And the smart thing would be not to have at least one senior Club official standing at the back of an auditorium heckling key members (like the new treasurer) of the next state government. The smart thing would be to observe how St George-Illawarra have secured funds, particularly for Kogarah. Seek small amounts (say $2-3 million) that  can be spent during an electoral cycle, that the local member can hold up as an achievement before going to the next poll, then seek more small amounts during the next electoral cycle. Those small amounts inevitably lead to larger amounts and can have a snowballing effect across different levels of government. Just look at what is happening to Kogarah.

I'll agree Phantar that the suggestion that a Labor plaque on a development in a blue-ribbon Lib seat wouldn't be allowed is rubbish.

But please don't stand up for Warringah Council. There are councillors who are dedicated to assisting the Sea Eagles and Brookie, but there has also been a faction that have done everything possible to destroy the place. They have delayed the use of funds, applied the funds to just maintenance activities, have put up 'community consultation' surveys with the sole purpose of kicking the Eagles out and using the property for a communal vegie garden.

I doubt that the Sea Eagles would even be allowed to singularly or jointly become involved in applying for funds for the Council owned property.

The anti-Brookvale Council mob are anti-Manly, anti-Football and anti anything that disturbs their little nirvana a few times a year. I am disgusted by their actions, not because I am a supporter, but because they are pushing ridiculous agendas that are rarely related to providing amenities or services to rate payers.

BTW I strongly support the redevelopment of Brookie to include any number of needed community facilities under Council control and to be commercially viable.

Phantar link said:

The smart thing would be to observe how St George-Illawarra have secured funds, particularly for Kogarah. Seek small amounts (say $2-3 million) that  can be spent during an electoral cycle, that the local member can hold up as an achievement before going to the next poll, then seek more small amounts during the next electoral cycle. Those small amounts inevitably lead to larger amounts and can have a snowballing effect across different levels of government. Just look at what is happening to Kogarah.
Phantar, you sound like a card-carrying member of that pathetic schmozzle of a Liberal Party that have dudded their electorates in  Manly, Warringah and Pittwater for many, many years with their very own 'smoke and mirrors' routine.

Your suggestion of asking for small $2m-$3m lots each election is NOT the Kogarah or STG-I model.

Kogarah received $25m in Federal funding, $13m in the last grant.  And STG-I received an additional $29m in funding for their Wollongong stadium.  That's $54 million dollars, not $2m to $3m per election cycle.

You make a huge issue of Abbott provide $1m towards lighting at Brookie.  Well big deal, that's just 2% of what has been provided for St George in recent years.  That $1m is the TOTAL contribution of the Libs, Federal and State, in living memory.  Even Labour have provided $6m to Brookie in these ultra safe Liberal areas.

It's time for the Libs to lift their game.

Phantar read the last paragraph, thats the main point to the whole speil.

Ask the lot of them.

But if you really want change a vote for that pathetic schmozzle labor party in order to make the seat marginal will achieve far more than anything else.

Best idea ive heard was odd houses vote labor, evens libs.

Either that or next time you give Tony a reach around ask him why he only spent $1 million on brookie during his entire time in goverment?

Christol link said:
The Federal Labor Government would have liked nothing more than to join the State Labor government and fund the Brookvale Oval upgrade, a project that the Federal member for Warringah failed to deliver in 16 years. It did not happen because there is no way that the Liberals were going to allow a Labor plaque on such an important project to the people in the safest Liberal seat in the country.

Can you also please explain how you know the Federal Labor party would have "liked nothing more than to join the State Labor government and fund the Brookvale Oval upgrade".

Can you also please explain how the Liberals, while in opposition, covertly stopped the Labor government from doing something that was Liberal party policy without any publicity whatsoever?

We all have our political allegiances, but please try to keep it real.  If Federal Labor wanted their plaque on Brookvale oval they would have it.  There would be nothing the Libs could have done to stop them.

Well argued MadMarcus, but on a trivial issue.  Big picture, now is the time to be heard, now is the time to pressure the Libs to act when they take office.

No squeaking, no oil.

Phantar link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=187045.msg326401#msg326401 date=1300834734]
Well written
Yes, well written by someone who sounds like a card-carrying member of that pathetic schmozzle of a Labor Party that have dudded NSW for the last 16 years with their very own 'smoke and mirrors' routine.

For a start, Abbott's party has not been in office federally since 2007. So it's a bit hard for him to find the money whilst he is not in office. But he has promised money over the last two federal campaigns and he nearly won last year. He also secured funding for the lighting in 2005. Without that lighting, we might already be playing out of another venue.

Where is your evidence that Labor, at the federal level, would have spent the money in a blue ribbon Liberal electorate? 'At least 8 years before any upgrade'? What, you expect that nothing will happen (to Brookvale Oval) until the next Sussex Street nonentity leads a revitalised ALP to victory in 2019? What makes you so certain they will be back so soon?

The Council is merely spending funds to get the ground back to a suitable baseline that more or less accords with the Park's Plan of Management. The onus is on the Club - to get smart about how they lobby for funding. And the smart thing would be not to have at least one senior Club official standing at the back of an auditorium heckling key members (like the new treasurer) of the next state government. The smart thing would be to observe how St George-Illawarra have secured funds, particularly for Kogarah. Seek small amounts (say $2-3 million) that  can be spent during an electoral cycle, that the local member can hold up as an achievement before going to the next poll, then seek more small amounts during the next electoral cycle. Those small amounts inevitably lead to larger amounts and can have a snowballing effect across different levels of government. Just look at what is happening to Kogarah.
[/quote]

Unbelievable. For your information and also for the person who emailed me, if I had the choice I would not be voting at all this weekend, they are all useless.

I have been a Manly fan since I was about 5 years old when I met Les Boyd at the Easter Show after he had just come over from wests. The rest of my family were/are mad Wests supporters and my father had been involved with them from the days they played at Pratten Park Ashfield. Needless to say, my decision did not go down well. 

If you take the time to go back and read the forums on the 'bang the table community consultation' you will see that I have been saying this for a long time and despite putting this question to the council on many occasions have never received a response.

I sell construction equipment and the public sector is a major buyer so I stay informed regarding who is getting funding, especially from the recent Federal stimulus packages. Given that the council was spending money on 'consultations' trying to determine who should fund the Brookvale upgrade, I was astounded that they did not bother to apply for Federal funding given that over $1bil was handed out. 

The Federal Government, regardless of who is in power, does not just decide to fund a local project, it is not their job to know what every community requires. They set up appropriate funding programmes which require local government to apply by submitting detailed proposals on what the money is for, the Local v Federal spend percentage, delivery timeline, community benefit etc etc. This was never done and it was also pointless for Tony Abbott to stand in parliament after the 2007 election and ask Labor to honour his last minute election commitment to Brookvale. It is one thing to request money but someone needed to actually follow it up with an actual official application. It is on public record in the council meeting minutes that the question of applying for the funding was raised and ignored, all I want to know is WHY?

Look it up for yourself. Below are links to the appropriate funding programme that should have been used, they can't say they didn't know about it because they applied for three projects and got funding for all of them. If you doubt the motives you only need to look at the bike paths. There is Federal funding readily available for these projects yet Warringah council instead decided to take 10% off the local road budget instead to appease the green side of the council.

Maybe it will all work out after this weekend, but history says otherwise in this very very safe seat. In any case, who's interests are Warringah council representing?

http://www.regional.gov.au/local/cip/index.aspx

and count the other sports field projects here-

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/esp/files/RLCIP_550_31082009m.pdf

I'm in QLD so no longer have to worry about voting down there. Good luck to you. Both parties are full of scumbags. But NSW is totally screwed, cost of living is through the roof and wages aren't rising to meet it.

it costs you an arm and a leg to do absolutely anything and surely something has got to give there eventually

Look, you all know what side I am on. I don't think Christol is a card carrying member of the Labor Party. However, I do believe there are some facts that could be incorrect in the initial post. In saying this, the whole idea of the post, as Fluffy said, is spot on. ALL governments need to get off their arses and do something. The council have held back and have been absolutely disgraceful. State need to be given a chance. We have 48 more hours of Labor in this state. Once the Libs are sworn in then we can move forward with getting more funding from the state. As for federal, I have no idea why we received no funding under Howard. The only explanation I can give is that its a safe seat. However, with it being such a safe seat, Iemma still gave us money, so that shouldn't mean anything. When it comes to fedal we have no chance for funding for at least another 2 years unless Labor get off their arses and help us out. That won't happen with a Victorian in the leadership.

So my point here is, as much as there were some things that I disagree with in Christols post (I could go on for ages on what I disagree with but this has been mentioned in the past), the overall idea of the post is spot on. I just think everyone needs to relax and watch what happens over the next 4 years.

48 hours everyone...48 hours

Whats wrong with Labour?
Atleast their party leader knows her policies
Abbott only knows a great football team

Edit: That said labour nsw has to go

Fluffy link said:
Phantar read the last paragraph, thats the main point to the whole speil.

Either that or next time you give Tony a reach around ask him why he only spent $1 million on brookie during his entire time in goverment?
I did read the paragraph - hence my comment about the '8 year wait'.

Not sure about the 'reach around' though. You obviously know more about that stuff Fluff. Maybe you were reliving the good ol' days, down at the local convent school, with the parish priest?

I'll pass on your regards to Tony's brother, Roger....

Post  automatically merged: [time]1300951869[/time]

Christol - no one is doubting the stuff you raise about the how the Council goes about seeking funding. My point is the Club needs to adopt more sophisticated techniques in acquiring funding and shape outcomes in its favour, not necessarily Council's favour.

With apologies to Donald Trump, you could call it 'The Art of the Deal'. That could be intepreted as becoming smarter in their dealings with Council to shape outcomes more decidely in our favour.

My issue is your assertion that nothing will happen to Brookvale Oval for another 8 years. When that is not true.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1300958144[/time]

Rey said: Phantar, you sound like a card-carrying member of that pathetic schmozzle of a Liberal Party that have dudded their electorates in  Manly, Warringah and Pittwater for many, many years with their very own 'smoke and mirrors' routine.

Response: Well considering they are about to smash Labor into potential oblivion in this state for years to come, that schemozzle must be doing something right.

They have been out of office for 16 years. Please explain how they could have had more influence on events, particularly when they have had a clear minority (of seats held) for the bulk of that time? For the record, Labor have been in office in NSW for 48 of the 66 years since WW2. 

And if you think the human face of Opus Dei and her cohorts are doing a good job, vote for her.

King said: Your suggestion of asking for small $2m-$3m lots each election is NOT the Kogarah or STG-I model.

Response: Go back to when they started the push to reinvigorate Kogarah as their Sydney home base , approximately 10 years ago. How much did they get then? Nothing like what they are getting now. And the money they did get, was for the sort of things that are being done at Brookvale now. Understand where I am coming from Mr Misinterpreter?

Kaiser said: Kogarah received $25m in Federal funding, $13m in the last grant.  And STG-I received an additional $29m in funding for their Wollongong stadium.  That's $54 million dollars, not $2m to $3m per election cycle.

Response: Thankyou Scoop. I have a straw handy. Can I start sucking eggs now?

Caesar said: You make a huge issue of Abbott provide $1m towards lighting at Brookie.  Well big deal, that's just 2% of what has been provided for St George in recent years.  That $1m is the TOTAL contribution of the Libs, Federal and State, in living memory.  Even Labour have provided $6m to Brookie in these ultra safe Liberal areas.

Response: True. But the Coalition have not been in office federally since Nov 2007. Bit hard for them to spend much money. However if Abbott had won last year, we would be looking at approximately $22 mil spent on Brookvale since circa 2003 by about 2013 - from Council, State and Federal governments (and differing persuasions) in that period.

Try again Peers.

Work that one out. You obviously have plenty of time on your hands. Give you a clue, its the middle name of a former Manly player.

Working hard?

Post  automatically merged: [time]1300995953[/time]

Manly: held by Independents from no circa 1991 until 2007.
Pittwater: held by Independent Alex McTaggart 2003 (if not somewhat earlier) -2007.
Warringah: federal seat.
Perhaps you meant Wakehurst? State seat held by Brad Hazzard?
Please go back to the drawing board.

Presumably you're not from the area - not knowing that level of detail Rex. I could go on, but should be able to pick up on my theme.

With a name like that, maybe you're really a Canterbury-Bankstown boy?

Here Rex, here boy!

"Response: Well considering they are about to smash Labor into potential oblivion in this state for years to come, that schemozzle must be doing something right. "

Yep, it takes a lot of self control to stay in opposition for 16 years and wait for the government to implode.

Maybe Manly should adopt the same tactict, play crap for 16 years hoping that at teh dally M's (where no manly player would be in the running) that there is a major catastrophe and everyone is killed.

Fluffy link said:
\"Response: Well considering they are about to smash Labor into potential oblivion in this state for years to come, that schemozzle must be doing something right. \"

Yep, it takes a lot of self control to stay in opposition for 16 years and wait for the government to implode.
Maybe Manly should adopt the same tactict, play crap for 16 years hoping that at teh dally M's (where no manly player would be in the running) that there is a major catastrophe and everyone is killed.

;D

Fluffy link said:

Nah, we ditched the Bears tactics when the Northern Eagles folded.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4