Turning points and thoughts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
*19min: Watmough ruled being inside the 10 metres from the kick even though he had no involvement at all in the play
*39min: Jamie Lyon panics and kicks the ball 10 rows into the Grandstand after a great play from Menzies,Bani and Orford
*52min: Manly had a try dissallowed after bani scored in the corner then Manly get a penalty, the ref could have extended the advantage
*64min:Cuthbo bad read lets a knight stroll past him and Lyon to make it 12 - 6
*77min:Josh Perry (STUPID,STUPID,STUPID) leading 12-6 with 3 min to go and he headbutts Wicks to give the knights a penalty 20 metres out, we win that scrum and kick we should win

Just heard Des on the news say we just gave 2 comp points away

Des will be forced to make changes
Vaealiki didn't come back after HT not sure why, Perry will be cited

Hall or Wells in for Perry
Lyon to centre and BLOOD the Kid Foran from the under 20'

Changes I would want Des to try for next week

01.Stewart
02.Bani
03.Bell
04.LYON
05.Robertson
06.FORAN
07.Orford
08.Kite
09.Ballin
10.King
11.Watmough
12.Stewart
13.Menzies

14.Hall
15.Cuthbertson
16.Le Strange
17.Wells
18.Mauro

so drop Williamson,Perry (suspended),Bryant,Vaealiki

The Watmough disallowed try was fair enough. It's just stupidity on the part of Watmough for not staying outside the 10m when he had to know he was in front of the kicker (by about 3 or 4m by my guess). So no excuses there

Same with Bani try, I thought the video ref got it right. It wasn't a case of when the advantage should have been played because there were two infringements in the movement. So going back to the original strip penalty was correct IMO.

Agree on Lyon and Perry though. WTF Lyon was thinking (or not thinking more to the point) I do not know. As for Perry he needs a good kick up the backside for a brain explosion like that when we are in the lead and in possession. I suspect he'll get a rest courtesy of the judiciary anyway

Perry will get off on a technicality. He wasn't looking at Wicks. He was just forming the scrum (or that is what they will say).
Willow has to go.
Lyon back to centre.
Vaeliki back to UK.
Hall in for Slow-Mo

Chip & Chase link said:
The Watmough disallowed try was fair enough. It's just stupidity on the part of Watmough for not staying outside the 10m when he had to know he was in front of the kicker (by about 3 or 4m by my guess). So no excuses there

That doesn't sit well with me. If Choc was inside the ten metres it was by inches, and he clearly had no affect on the play and wasn't attempting to either. He just f*cking stood there.

Technically, by the absolute letter of the law, it was perhaps a correct decision (but even then....only just), but f*ck me dead it's a stupid bloody law.

It's hard to judge but I reckon it was more than a few inches, look at the 10m grid on the ground and the ball was spilt on our side of their 20m line and Choc was on or past (Newcastle side of) the 30m line. Granted he was off to the left a bit but I still reckon he was inside 10m.

He might not have affected the play at the point where the ball landed but he decided to back up Ballin on the inside after he took the ball so he did participate in the play as such.

Frustrating, but they have been pretty consistent on this rule over the last few seasons and generally apply it to the letter of the law. Anyway that wasn't the reason we lost the game.

Fair, fair. Who cares, it's a sh*t rule when applied like it was last night, and you're right - it wasn't the reason we lost. We had plenty of chances to win the game. But I'd still liked for it to have been a try so that at least we could have said that we played horribly but managed to come away with the two points.

supposedly Vaeleki was seeing double vision at half time and that is why they took him off. Perry will be out for a couple of weeks if he gets fined.

so IF vaeleki is out i wonder who they are going to replace him with. Maybe Lyon in the centres or Beaver who knows.

But it will probably be the Koala in the PL who comes to the centres and Lyon stays at 5/8. I'm beginning to wonder why we paid 400 odd k for this "gun" player who i think a player of around the value of 200k could have easily filled, that extra 200 spare could have saved monas or burns even.

I'm not going to be too pessimistic it is only the 2 game.

Just finished DL last nites game and here is
the Lyon kick
vn06sp.jpg

zk4ikw.jpg

1zxmfll.jpg

BE, from what I've seen of Kieran Foran, he's still a year, if not two away from first grade. I don't want to blood him too early when he's clearly not ready yet.

Not having seen the original footage of the incident, it's hard to tell with those pictures whether the ball was way over Bani's head or if it was a mile in front of him. If it was way in front of him then obviously he just mis-timed Bani's run or that Bani wasn't expecting it. If it was way over his head then he deserves a boot up the backside.

Definitely went over Bani's head. It was a poor kick, but the right option. It showed me that finally Lyon is at least THINKING like a five-eighth. Last year Lyon would've either chucked a hospital pass to Bell or stepped inside and been tackled. His kicking game is sh*t, but at least he is trying. He is working with a kicking coach so that will improve over time.

That said, I've had 24 hours to calm down about it. At the time I wasn't impressed with the kick at all....

sorry BE, foran is miles too young, I read that he could still be playing sg ball, he's built like burns, but bit leaner, they would run big boppers at him all day

has to be jason wells, time to play him, he can kick a ball a long way

I thought Lyon's kick was the right option. He just didn't have the skill/finesse to carry it out.

My impression at the time was that their centre would have tackled Bell before he could pass or he would have crabbed had the ball gone through the hands. If the kick goes to Bani its an easy try.

I agree, that kick was the right option & well spotted by Jamie. The execution was bad but that wouldn't matter if he was trying more stuff like that becase the odd one would come off right.

It was an improvement from Lyon from the previous week.

Yep i thought it was the right option as well, hands would have negated the space that Bani had, but execution wasn't good.

If it had have come off, maybe it would have been the start of the confidence he needs to get going

In the first half Bell's blindside play on the fifth should have been a try, but he couldn't hold it. Those things you just have to hold.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4