[Resurrected] Turbo injury, healthy, injury, healthy, and dancer - updates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

What round will Turbo return

• Round 5

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Round 6

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Round 7

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Round 8

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Round 9

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Round 10

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Round 11 or later - too fricken late

Votes: 25 32.5%

• Total voters
Can see why he wants to play Origin - testing himself against the best and getting paid for it.

And oh yes still getting paid by Manly for missing the club games over the origin period.

Its a win win for Tommy.... but as others point out a lose lose for Manly

To be completely honest, when i read that about Turbo not standing down, it pissed me off. He comes across as greedy and all about himself. Not a team player. He owes us. We paid him 3mill for what?? 4 games in 3 years?

I'm torn on it tbh.

1. He's a great player who has every right to continue playing rep footy as long as they pick him. I mean, who are WE to demand he focus on Manly? Apparently players get paid $30,000 per game, per year they play. Therefore, it's a tough call to ask him to give up playing for his state, and forego $90,000 per year.

2. He has missed a lot of Manly games granted. One stat I'd like to know, is how many of those directly correlate to State of Origin? Don't forget, there's also salary cap dispensations (which our club didn't take advantage of), to compensate players clubs.

So given the amount of money he'd be giving up, the experiences and joy of fighting for our state, along with the NRL "offering" cap dispensation in the event of injury, I have to actually say:

I'm fine with him playing rep footy.

When Jamie Lyon first attempted to stand down from origin he was threatened with suspension as he wasn't over 30 and hadn't played more than 10 years in the NRL. Even if Tom wanted to retire or make himself ineligible for rep duty I don't think he is allowed to. He could probably have a chat with Freddy and ask not to be picked but he can't officially stand down.

Tom resting up for a Massive 2024, loves Manly and a Super bloke who is doing his best to be 100% and not far off being ready for full training to be ready for next season.

Pretty sure Tom's injuries have all occurred playing for Manly with the exception of this year, so no real justification for this. This puts to bed the whole 'we pay his salary' argument.

Why should Tom give up a once in a lifetime opportunity to represent his state as much as possible in the short window available to him just because Manly can't get their sh*t together? If the entirety of our club rely solely on one player to make the finals, then we are the ones who will be oweing him for sticking with us his whole career.

He may be the difference between contending and winning a premiership, but we are so far off that it would just be an unnecessary burden to ask of a great, loyal bloke who will most likely never get to win a comp.

Fine go play Origin. But what happens next year when he gets injured again in Origin. I bet those saying they're fine with it will change their tune when it happens again.

Fine go play Origin. But what happens next year when he gets injured again in Origin. I bet those saying they're fine with it will change their tune when it happens again.
No doubt he will be injured for most of the season again, just doubt playing a game or 2 for the Blues will have anything to do with it

No doubt he will be injured for most of the season again, just doubt playing a game or 2 for the Blues will have anything to do with it
Imagine if we got all 24 games out of him at 100% his ability. That would be worth what he's getting paid BUT it just won't happen.

Tom is young enough to take a year of representative football without it hurting his career. Lets face it sitting on the sidelines injured isn't helping his career or Manly. It will do him good to have a year break from rep football. Time to put the club first who have supported him through his long absences.

Thank you @Brookie Bob

Tom on his day is the undisputed number one player in the game terrorising teams with his amazing tries in his number one fullback position

Those that say to keep him in cotton wool and play his at centre
Are only keeping him from playing in his most destructive position where he is like a roaming Fierce flying Eagle setting up and scoring tires and his defence at the back is Eagle rock Solid
keeping some one in cotton wool does not make them any more resilient

The Number one Player in the Game
2024 will be his best ever Formidable Year
1694137791538.png

I also agree that we don't need to put Turbo in cotton wool. Some of us are advocating placing him in centre for greater overall team balance and performance. He can still play his destructive best with a roaming centre role like he did for NSW. He can change sides, go sniffing around the ruck, basically chime in anywhere he sees fit [see what I did there] as it's one of his key attributes.

Moving Koula back to fullback for the next couple of seasons could unlock more of his potential and allow him to build combinations with the other spine members. Most importantly, by taking Turbo out of fullback and grooming Koula for the position, we are mitigating against the damage on team performance when we keep losing that critical spine position every time Turbo goes down injured. Continuity and combinations amongst the spine members is a critical aspect to team performance. If Turbo continues to struggle with injuries in the centres, he is still a big loss, but the team can better adapt with the spine intact.

When Jamie Lyon first attempted to stand down from origin he was threatened with suspension as he wasn't over 30 and hadn't played more than 10 years in the NRL. Even if Tom wanted to retire or make himself ineligible for rep duty I don't think he is allowed to. He could probably have a chat with Freddy and ask not to be picked but he can't officially stand down.
You reckon that's what Ponga did? A quiet word to not pick him coz he would be in the same boat you would think.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8