Turbo charged career

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
G'day all,

I haven't been here in a while so hi.

I got thinking today, with respect to Tommy. What does next year look like for him? You commonly see a player have a Dally M year and then his form drops off. Barring further injury I can't see it happening to him. I'm definitely looking through maroon coloured glasses but he just looks to be a class above everyone else. What does the rest of his career look like? I can see domination for years to come. He just looks to do it too easily.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts last year were that we needed to take some pressure off Tom by getting some more speedsters in the side so it wasn't always up to Tom to finish all the breaks. We managed that with Saab (that's an understatement) and also Garrick.
Tom's steely determination he showed this year makes me confident he won't be easing off the throttle but we really need to keep strengthening the side to take full advantage of the next 2-3 years.
The Bullwinkle signing suggests that is exactly what we are doing.
I see top 4 next year and beyond. Thanks Tom, happy days.

G'day all,

I haven't been here in a while so hi.

I got thinking today, with respect to Tommy. What does next year look like for him? You commonly see a player have a Dally M year and then his form drops off. Barring further injury I can't see it happening to him. I'm definitely looking through maroon coloured glasses but he just looks to be a class above everyone else. What does the rest of his career look like? I can see domination for years to come. He just looks to do it too easily.

What are your thoughts?
I will never forget Ruben smashing the shiit out of Tommy’s hamstrings on his way back to the paddock on FOX. I was yelling at the TV at the time, get the Fuuck off him, you’ll snap everything. Well seens as I have absolutely no qualifications in sports science, it worked a treat, and Tommy went on to carve the competition to pieces, in 15 rounds.
So my thoughts are for Ruben to keep on smashing Tommy’s hamstrings pre-game, and for he, himself to go on and keep breaking the point scoring record.

How can it possibly get better than this year's effort? It probably shouldn't over the next few years at least as improvement across the park from all players is required if manly are to make the final dance.

Free of injuries, I expect Turbo to continue this year's form into next season. For the team to progress, other players need to improve. This year's finals experience will be invaluable for everyone.

IMO, more potency is needed in the centres, e.g. Walker. Davey & Bullemore will strengthen the forwards and hopefully, young players like Burbo, Koula, Tuitavake & Sione Fainu have opportunities to play both NSW Cup & NRL.

Actually, I think Fittler has laid down a challenge for Turbo to improve next season. In this review of Manly's season, he says Turbo's season was not fully successful because he failed to win a GF.

Last edited:
How can it possibly get better than this year's effort? It probably shouldn't over the next few years at least as improvement across the park from all players is required if manly are to make the final dance.
He can play more games than this year! Seriously what he achieved this year for Dally M and Origin likely won’t be seen again from an individual. By far the most dominant season of any one player I’ve ever seen.

The only comparable season by an individual I’ve seen is Jarryd Hayne in 09 when he carried Doesn’tmatta to the GF. While Hayne’s career (and life) went south afterwards, I think this is just the beginning for Turbo.

When you consider guys like Thurston, Smith, Johns, Slater and co. were able to sustain their form over many years, it’s not inconceivable to think that Tom can at least get somewhere close to repeating this season’s feats but (a) I don’t think it can topped and (b) a lot will depend on the contributions of the remaining 16 players in the team.

He seems an out and out champion, rather than a ‘flash in the pan’ type (of which Hayne and Barba could be described as). I’m basing this off Tom’s career thus far. Although 2021 is his best season to date, he was considered an out and out superstar 3 seasons ago with injury being the only reason he has not hit the heights of this season earlier.

When you consider guys like Thurston, Smith, Johns, Slater and co. were able to sustain their form over many years, it’s not inconceivable to think that Tom can at least get somewhere close to repeating this season’s feats but (a) I don’t think it can topped and (b) a lot will depend on the contributions of the remaining 16 players in the team.

He seems an out and out champion, rather than a ‘flash in the pan’ type (of which Hayne and Barba could be described as). I’m basing this off Tom’s career thus far. Although 2021 is his best season to date, he was considered an out and out superstar 3 seasons ago with injury being the only reason he has not hit the heights of this season earlier.
Exactly this! A lot of people have been saying his numbers are inflated because of the rules this year, but I’ve seen him post the same numbers one time particularly against the Dragons 2 years back.

Tommy suits the new rugba leege.
It will take most teams a few years to catch up and level out the field a bit.
I think with an attacking nine he will go even better.

He seems an out and out champion, rather than a ‘flash in the pan’ type (of which Hayne and Barba could be described as).
Jarryd Hayne a flash in the pan type? You're a hard marker!

Hayne: Awards & Accolades

Dally M Rookie Of The Year 2006
Brad Fittler Medal 2007, 2008, 2014
Dally M Winger Of The Year 2007
Dally M Fullback Of The Year 2009, 2014
Dally M Player Of The Year 2009, 2014
RLIF Fullback Of The Year 2009
RLIF Player Of The Year 2009
RLPA Player of the Year 2009
RLW Player of the Year 2009, 2014
Peter Frilingos Memorial Award 2010
Dally M Representative Player Of The Year 2014

2021 Cooma jail bitch of the year awards are only a month away also.

He was the RLW player of the year in 2009, 2014?
Isn't that the women's award?;);)

He seems an out and out champion, rather than a ‘flash in the pan’ type (of which Hayne and Barba could be described as). I’m basing this off Tom’s career thus far. Although 2021 is his best season to date, he was considered an out and out superstar 3 seasons ago with injury being the only reason he has not hit the heights of this season earlier.To me, what sets Tom apart from the Hayne and Barba types is his humbleness, even when we were flogging teams and he was scoring tries for fun he rarely went over the top with chest beating lairishness ( is that a word?).
Agree @ Snake, what sets him apart from the Hayne and Barba types is his humbleness and lack of lairishness ( is that a word?).
When he scored there was was no chest beating or "Hayne Planes" even when we were flogging teams and he was scoring for fun.
Lets get back to business, go back to the goal line to reset and do it again.
Sure he celebrated but it seemed like it was all business this year, especially after the Corso/shower setback, it's like he knew that wasn't what elite players do.

I think he's set the bar for himself and the team, they know if they can do their jobs he can make them look better and ice the cake.

Agree @ Snake, what sets him apart from the Hayne and Barba types is his humbleness and lack of lairishness ( is that a word?).
When he scored there was was no chest beating or "Hayne Planes" even when we were flogging teams and he was scoring for fun.
Lets get back to business, go back to the goal line to reset and do it again.
Sure he celebrated but it seemed like it was all business this year, especially after the Corso/shower setback, it's like he knew that wasn't what elite players do.

I think he's set the bar for himself and the team, they know if they can do their jobs he can make them look better and ice the cake.
Great point you’ve made. He played with humility and appeared to be team focused rather than arrogant. That’s certainly a quality that puts him well ahead of Barba and Hayne.

Great point you’ve made. He played with humility and appeared to be team focused rather than arrogant. That’s certainly a quality that puts him well ahead of Barba and Hayne.
Not to mention on the right side of the law.

Can we please desist from mentioning comparisons with Hayne? The man is a convicted rapist. As for the other bloke, his character is also on the murkier side.

Not to mention on the right side of the law.

Can we please desist from mentioning comparisons with Hayne? The man is a convicted rapist. As for the other bloke, his character is also on the murkier side.
The guy I was responding to mentioned the 'Hayne Plane' in his post. Sure, Hayne is a flog but pretending that his exploits on the football field never existed is just PC cancel culture; I find it overly precious. People have written books on Ivan Milat, Charles Manson, etc. It's not morally corrupt to discuss a person, simply because they're a criminal. No one is condoning Hayne's actions...but he did play football and he did have a good season in 2009; so what?!

Injury wasn't the only reason but probably limited the speed of his development as a player.

I wouldn't say i was overly impressed with Tom's first few seasons----Tom did have impressive moments though which showed his potential.

Tom never took control and owned the team like he did this year, would drop his head in frustration when things went against him or the team, instances of defensive flaws(and targeted) low to the ground in relation to tackles on the line or retrieving balls off the ground.

Often Tom was happy to just chime in out the back and not own the game at the line or first receiver like this year-----yes this part of his game would of developed faster and gained more confidence without the injuries to impose himself in games but nevertheless i don't think his previous years can count as "outstanding" years.(what i mean is i will not be counting the previous years when we look back in a few decades time as part of the years Tom dominated)

Tom now needs 5-7yrs of dominance in the game from now on to leave his mark as one of the greats, it's also not just his natural abilities that have to be on constant display, Tom needs to keep improving his craft and footy IQ to take himself and Manly to the next level constantly and not just rely on his natural talents.

This is what set Smith,Slater and Cronk apart from the rest which elevated both Melbourne,Queensland and Roosters to near unbeatable levels, talent alone in the "professional" era is never enough.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6