Turbo back.. at centre

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
More interest for me is which side
His fend is a weapon
He can chase and steal a bomb

Cant see him and dce working defensively , not initially
Turbo gets a lot of early ball at 1 , still be a desire to make that happen from within. Wonder how on field its managed

At fullback he seems to be lonely when chasing our bombathons. Our kicking game isnt noted for high % of attacking kicks of any quality.

You would think master kickers having turbo, oku and saab to bomb to is a target but we kinda had that anyway and zilch

Playing on the left outside brooks suits toms run but his paasing game isnt skillful or deft, effective however. Could be a gene miles style if centre

Splitting defenders with pace and strength works at centre and thats his go. Generally have less time at centre to position and pass to runners than at fullback . Interesting to see how he goes

Maybe a dynamics switch from within to couple a positional switch

Toms defence this year is more about attitude.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Taulau needs to be the other centre. Push Garrick to wing where he belongs. If he doesn't like it then go. As it is we can't afford a winger on centre money and a centre on elite marquee fullback money.
There seems to be some conjecture that Garrick will return in the centres.

Is Fatboy Slim really that obtuse?

Marto1970

Reserve Grader
If Koula shoulder is ok I will be putting him back at fullback and rest Hoppa we will need him again before the season is finished
1 Koula
2 Saab
3 Turbo
4 Garrick /Talau
5 Talau/Garrick

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
Id drop Saab way before Tommy 2 lau on form. But I'm think Garrick the one who hasn't cemented their spot.
I reckon Garrick stays due to his kicking and leadership role - not saying I agree with it. And yeah I agree I’d prob drop Saab before Talau.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
I really hope that Tom can have a prolonged run without getting hurt.

I just hope having to defend regularly against big edge runners doesn't just shift the focus from leg injuries to upper body. He's prone for pec and shoulder injuries too.

But that's just the pessimist in me. Fingers crossed, as I really love watching him play footy.
Wherever he comes back he needs to just go f$&@ it, and play at 100% and get the injuries out of his head. If he gets injured again then maybe he thinks about giving it up. I’d rather see him give it 100% than holding back to protect himself.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
If that’s true,what was the point of playing Hopoate there while Tom was out?Surely it would of been more beneficial for Koula to get more miles in the legs at FB.Personally,I think it’s a waste having Tom play in the centres,but we’ll see how it works out
I’m ok with it if it means bringing Lehi through. Been less than impressed with Koula this year. Although aside from a couple mistakes his speed def created some chances v Brisbane.

Doubt it but maybe Lehi goes to 14.

Carl

Reserve Grader
We could potentially have a top 13 with:
  • A centre playing fb
  • A centre playing wing
  • A fb playing centre
  • A wing playing centre
  • A centre playing second row
  • A half playing hooker (I know that's a stretch but what the hey)
  • A prop playing lock
Not saying they are bad choices or that a player is born with a number on their back that they can't change. Just amusing to think about.

More seriously, I think ppl get too hung up on a player's position. I don't think there should be fb money and centre money and wing money. If your centre contributes more to the team than your fb, why not pay him more? If a guy is better on the wing than at centre, why not pay him appropriately and play him on the wing?

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
That’s more an option to keep him in the team than what will actually happen. Despite news reports I still think lehi will be fb. Makes no sense to have played him there and Koula at fb these past weeks.
*Koula at centre I meant.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
If that’s true,what was the point of playing Hopoate there while Tom was out?Surely it would of been more beneficial for Koula to get more miles in the legs at FB.Personally,I think it’s a waste having Tom play in the centres,but we’ll see how it works out
Not saying I agree with it but maybe they thought we’d be weakening one position (centre) to strengthen another (fullback). That is, we needed Koula’s defence in the centres and had a decent fullback replacement. Maybe they looked at what was available and thought, let’s just get our best available on the field and find them a position. Now that Tom’s back, the same is happening. These are our best players but Tom needs to be eased back, so let’s make it all fit somehow.

Just a theory. I agree that it means we now have to get Koula some reps at fullback that he could already have under his belt.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
We could potentially have a top 13 with:
  • A centre playing fb
  • A centre playing wing
  • A fb playing centre
  • A wing playing centre
  • A centre playing second row
  • A half playing hooker (I know that's a stretch but what the hey)
  • A prop playing lock
Not saying they are bad choices or that a player is born with a number on their back that they can't change. Just amusing to think about.

More seriously, I think ppl get too hung up on a player's position. I don't think there should be fb money and centre money and wing money. If your centre contributes more to the team than your fb, why not pay him more? If a guy is better on the wing than at centre, why not pay him appropriately and play him on the wing?
Yep my view is pick your best 17 players each week and find positions for them.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
Not saying I agree with it but maybe they thought we’d be weakening one position (centre) to strengthen another (fullback). That is, we needed Koula’s defence in the centres and had a decent fullback replacement. Maybe they looked at what was available and thought, let’s just get our best available on the field and find them a position. Now that Tom’s back, the same is happening. These are our best players but Tom needs to be eased back, so let’s make it all fit somehow.

Just a theory. I agree that it means we now have to get Koula some reps at fullback that he could already have under his belt.
Haha pretty well beat me to it and in a more articulate considered way. lol

Simonmyers11

First Grader
For me, Hoppa is a natural fullback. His overall read of the game, his positioning in defense, and natural instincts put him ahead of Koula. He will only get better in attack with more confidence and size.

Koula does not have the same game awareness or positional play. He is a weapon on the edges and a solid defender, keeping Garrick in a position he doesn't seem to excel as well at compared to the wing seems strange.

Scoring points really isn't an issue with Manly at the moment, it's more edge defense and having centre's that have the confidence to trust their inside player and not come in, but also the speed to slide and tackle on one on their outside.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
For me, Hoppa is a natural fullback. His overall read of the game, his positioning in defense, and natural instincts put him ahead of Koula. He will only get better in attack with more confidence and size.

Koula does not have the same game awareness or positional play. He is a weapon on the edges and a solid defender, keeping Garrick in a position he doesn't seem to excel as well at compared to the wing seems strange.

Scoring points really isn't an issue with Manly at the moment, it's more edge defense and having centre's that have the confidence to trust their inside player and not come in, but also the speed to slide and tackle on one on their outside.
Nailed it.

Haven’t noticed you posting the last couple months?

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
14 10 4 118 24
15 10 5 77 24
15 9 6 161 20
15 8 7 64 20
14 8 6 60 20
15 7 7 28 19
15 7 8 21 18
15 8 7 -8 18
15 7 8 -47 18
14 7 7 -50 18