Trivia Time - Easy question

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I had to look up if Wombat had kicked any other field goals. Turns out he got his first in the final round game of 1978 vs Rorters at the Sports Ground in Manly's 20-10 win. He got the one in the GF replay and then kicked one more in 1979 at Brookie vs Souths in a 15-4 win. Custom Match List - Rugby League Project

1978 was a weird year for field goals as Johnny Gibbs kicked one for a 1-0 lead over the Sharks in the semi final at the SCG. Try that in 2020 and the NRL media and NRL integrity unit would be all over the team.
I'm pretty sure I recall that Gibbsy one.
And I'm pretty sure it would have been his one and only FG too...

I had to look up if Wombat had kicked any other field goals. Turns out he got his first in the final round game of 1978 vs Rorters at the Sports Ground in Manly's 20-10 win. He got the one in the GF replay and then kicked one more in 1979 at Brookie vs Souths in a 15-4 win. Custom Match List - Rugby League Project

1978 was a weird year for field goals as Johnny Gibbs kicked one for a 1-0 lead over the Sharks in the semi final at the SCG. Try that in 2020 and the NRL media and NRL integrity unit would be all over the team.

Well the way Wombat was kicking goals at the time - poorly, Gibbsy must've thought we needed all the points we could get.

Actually mum I'm mopping the floors.
Kevin Junee probably wouldn't consider himself too lucky there either.
In Graham's case, I don't think playing for the dragoons will increase his chances...

Poor old Kevin Junee. Played 10 seasons at Easts (1964-73), endured times when they were hopeless, then finally they come good and get to a Grand Final only to be knocked over by Manly. He then joins us in 1974 after we'd won two in a row ... and Easts promptly go back to back in 74' and 75' (not that we were bad, we just didn't win the premierships those years). He re-joined them in 1976 and only played one more game primarily due to the emergence of a young Kevin Hastings. And Easts took until 2000 to get to another GF and 2002 to actually win one again.

Edit: you could also say that his kid had no luck either. Switched codes from union to join the then name changed Sydney City Roosters in 1995. They missed the Finals that year (9th), bombed out of the 1996 Finals in straight sets (losses to Manly and St George), lost to Manly in the 1997 Prelim Final, the year he suffered an injury and basically lost his place in the side to Jack Elsegood. Then they were knocked out in the Quarters in the first year of the NRL in 1998. He then went back to playing union before retiring in 2001.

Talented father and son, but no luck when it came to winning a premiership.

Last edited:
Poor old Kevin Junee. Played 10 seasons at Easts (1964-73), endured times when they were hopeless, then finally they come good and get to a Grand Final only to be knocked over by Manly. He then joins us in 1974 after we'd won two in a row ... and Easts promptly go back to back in 74' and 75' (not that we were bad, we just didn't win the premierships those years). He re-joined them in 1976 and only played one more game primarily due to the emergence of a young Kevin Hastings. And Easts took until 2000 to get to another GF and 2002 to actually win one again.
Yeah it's a tale of premiership woe.
Meanwhile, Johnny Mayes whom he swapped with, scored 3 consecutive premierships.
73 with us, 74/75 with those mighty roosters teams.
Nonetheless he was a Kangaroo and retired with a great reputation that stands to this day.
He was also the 74 season leading try scorer with 20 while playing with us so he achieved plenty...

I remember seeing the highlights video of the 1989 season. Towards the end of the minor round Balmain played Penrith at Leichhardt where about 2 minutes into the game Benny Elias kicked a field goal. Rex Mossop in commentary loved it while Graeme Hughes and Ian Maurice questioned the point of doing it.

Yeah it's a tale of premiership woe.
Meanwhile, Johnny Mayes whom he swapped with, scored 3 consecutive premierships.
73 with us, 74/75 with those mighty roosters teams.
Nonetheless he was a Kangaroo and retired with a great reputation that stands to this day.
He was also the 74 season leading try scorer with 20 while playing with us so he achieved plenty...

His 1974 season total of 23 still stands today as the second highest ever in a season by a Manly player. Beaver and Snake both got to 22 in a season which is the closest anyone has been at Manly since Blakey scored 27 in 1983.

His 1974 season total of 23 still stands today as the second highest ever in a season by a Manly player. Beaver and Snake both got to 22 in a season which is the closest anyone has been at Manly since Blakey scored 27 in 1983.
Ok 23 it is.
Even from memory that sounds right.
And let's not forget that the comp only ran 24 rounds in 74.
Not sure about 83 but Blakeys 27 is a huge amount by any standards.
Except maybe Brian Bevan's...

Ok 23 it is.
Even from memory that sounds right.
And let's not forget that the comp only ran 24 rounds in 74.
Not sure about 83 but Blakeys 27 is a huge amount by any standards.
Except maybe Brian Bevan's...

22 rounds in 1974 @:p But Manly did finish 2nd in the minor round and played 2 Finals games so yeah, 24.

26 rounds in 1983, plus we played 2 Finals games to make 28. But Blakey only played 24 games during the year.

Blakey averaged 1.125 tries per game in 1983. I don't know how many games Kevin Junee played for us in 1974. Over the two years he was with us he played with us, Junee played 38 games (3 Finals) our of a possible 49 games (44 minor round, 5 Finals). He scored 21 tries in the 1974 minor round and 2 in that years Finals. He scored 6 tries in 1975 and none in the 2 (out of 3) Finals games he played that year.

Ironically, Kevin Junee's final game for Manly was a 28-13 loss to Easts in the 1975 Prelim Final. Poor bugger, joined Manly and Easts promptly go back to back. Re-joins Easts and Manly win 2 out of the next 3.

Last edited:
Most career first grade field goals for Manly? Fill in the blanks below.

57 - ?
30 - ?
20 - ?
18 - ?
11 - ?
9 - Matt Orford
8 - Phil Blake
7 - Rick Chisholm
7 - Michael Monaghan
6 - Cliff Lyons

Not too sure of the order but would throw in D C E , Bob Fulton , Ridgey , maybe O " Oconner , Melrose and Whiz Martin as well . Not too sure on the last three though

Not too sure of the order but would throw in D C E , Bob Fulton , Ridgey , maybe O " Oconner , Melrose and Whiz Martin as well . Not too sure on the last three though

You've named three of the top five.

These are of the players who kicked a field goal for Manly:

BATTY, Allan / BATTY, Bob / BLAKE Phil/ CHERRY-EVANS, Daly / CHISHOLM Rick / DAY, Ken / DORAHY, John / EADIE, Graham / FERRIS, Jason / FIELD, Craig / FULTON, Robert / GIBBS, John / HEGARTY, Steve / HODKINSON, Trent / JONES, Fred / KRILICH, Max / LITTLEJOHN, Jack / LYONS Cliff / McDONALD, John / MARTIN, Steve / MAYES, Johnny / MELROSE, Tony / MONOGHAN Michael / O'CONNOR, Michael / ORFORD Matt / PHILLIPS, Luke / PIERCE, Daryl / RANDALL, Terry / RIDGE, Matthew / SHEARER, Dale / STANTON, Frank / THOMPSON, Alan / VAUTIN, Paul / VEIVERS, Mick / WARD, Dennis / WILLIAMS, Graham

BATTY, Allan / BATTY, Bob / BLAKE Phil/ CHERRY-EVANS, Daly / CHISHOLM Rick / DAY, Ken / DORAHY, John / EADIE, Graham / FERRIS, Jason / FIELD, Craig / FULTON, Robert / GIBBS, John / HEGARTY, Steve / HODKINSON, Trent / JONES, Fred / KRILICH, Max / LITTLEJOHN, Jack / LYONS Cliff / McDONALD, John / MARTIN, Steve / MAYES, Johnny / MELROSE, Tony / MONOGHAN Michael / O'CONNOR, Michael / ORFORD Matt / PHILLIPS, Luke / PIERCE, Daryl / RANDALL, Terry / RIDGE, Matthew / SHEARER, Dale / STANTON, Frank / THOMPSON, Alan / VAUTIN, Paul / VEIVERS, Mick / WARD, Dennis / WILLIAMS, Graham
Wow that "s challenging . some pretty handy kickers there .I"ll also throw in Bob Batty , and Dennis Ward [ but maybe Rowdey Shearer has kicked more then i would have assumed .

Wow that "s challenging . some pretty handy kickers there .I"ll also throw in Bob Batty , and Dennis Ward [ but maybe Rowdey Shearer has kicked more then i would have assumed .

You got the five - DCE, Batty, Ridgie, Bozo & Ward. Now you need the order.

Most career first grade field goals for Manly? Fill in the blanks below.

57 - ?
30 - ?
20 - ?
18 - ?
11 - ?
9 - Matt Orford
8 - Phil Blake
7 - Rick Chisholm
7 - Michael Monaghan
6 - Cliff Lyons
Firstly, well done @manly al for getting the players.

Well I know Bozo kicked the most, and DCE's kicked 20, so I would say the order is:
Bozo, Ward, DCE, Batty and Ridgie

Thought that Batty might have been ahead of Ward . Maybe even Ridgey ahead of Ward . Seems a staggering amount by Bob Fulton T B H , just a freakish p;layer all round .

Fred Jones kicking a field goal , I "d like to see that .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4