Triple M has won the right to broadcast up to five matches a round this NRL season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
A REVOLUTION is about to strike rugby league's airwaves after Triple M won the right to broadcast up to five matches a round this season.

Although the NRL is yet to announce its new radio deal, industry sources have confirmed Triple M, 2GB and ABC will retain coverage.

But the amount of games broadcast on the FM network will increase dramatically as Triple M seeks to wrest broadcast supremacy from 2GB.

Triple M's coverage has been restricted to Monday Night Football over the past two seasons.

Now it will provide live commentary on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday nights, as well as Sunday afternoons.

While the NRL has awarded the rights, no announcement will be made until Triple M and 2GB negotiate a deal to divide the full round's coverage.

Content director Jamie Angel said each caller would try, where possible, to split the two Friday night games.

Advertisement

"But there will be occasions where we want to call the same match and that might end up happening," he said.

Triple M is also likely to call 3pm Sunday afternoon matches, with 2GB set to broadcast the earlier clash.

"We want to take rugby league to a more contemporary radio market, just as we have done with the AFL," Angel said.

"Our Monday night ratings have been extremely successful. We've won just about every category under 60 years of age."

Triple M has also won the right to call State of Origin and finals matches, giving fans a three-way choice to tune into the season's biggest games.

But until the deal is officially signed, the station cannot hire new callers and experts commentators.

Angel said Triple M has already started talks to re-hire last year's experts - including Peter Sterling, Andrew Johns, Ryan Girdler, Nathan Hindmarsh, Adam MacDougall and Gorden Tallis.

The network also wants to keep promising commentator Dan Ginnane.

But Andrew Voss, who no longer works at Channel 9, has not been approached as yet.

RE: Triple M

Revolution...So when would the likes of Sterling, A Johns and Tallis get time to commentate.....Dan Ginnane is a drop kick.....They really should just play music.

Frogz said:
Revolution...So when would the likes of Sterling, A Johns and Tallis get time to commentate.....Dan Ginnane is a drop kick.....They really should just play music.
Surely these guys should get the nod over those boring deadbeats from the abc.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Frogz said:
Surely these guys should get the nod over those boring deadbeats from the abc.

I Guess PSE, but I dont listen to ABC at all....But your are sometimes stuck with these dribblers on MMM, cause thats the station I listen to and like their music...

I am probably bias cause I hate yurning on to MMM and all they do is talk from midday Friday

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4