Trialing forum chat next week

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi,

All, next week we will be trialling a game day chat. The thread will still be active like normal but we will be trying a live "shoutbox" style chat which refreshes every 5 seconds.

Each post will be limited in length looking at 300 at the moment, but wondering if amore twitter style 160 would be better and add another element.

I am not looking at having this open constantly, just a little prior to the game and then once the game is finished i will close it off a little bit after.

I am then hoping to look at importing the entire chat into a forum post for archive purposes.

Let me know your thoughts. I would love to see how this is adopted. Bearing in mind that the lack of clicks on the website into and out of threads costs us in terms of advertising revenue but perhaps I will put an auto refresh on the page every 60 seconds or so, or hope that people still click in and out of threads as well.

Would love your thoughts on this.

Dan

Well I think that sounds awesome; as long as the thread is still archived as you say Dan, for further reference like we have now.

I reckon it will greatly enhance the match-chat, as well as making it easier to do both...lol!

Watching and chatting, I mean.

Good luck with it, of course.

yeah, i still want a game thread so people who dont want to chat can use that.

Then later this will meld into that.

The other idea is that I am thinking about placing the chat in the top of that thread, and then that way you have access to both.

Ill figure it out this week. I am just trying to get the code done now so it activates on the game day and 60 minutes before the game, then stays open say 60 minutes after, once that is done, I can figure out the other semantics

I am looking forward to it

This weekend I was stuck away from any tv or wifi so was checking several sites at once to try and get updates - the Match day threads are great if you are watching the game but are pretty rubbish of you want to know what happened

I am going to think about putting a score in there, I just need to make sure it is hidden well enough that people who dont want to see the score dont see it

Ran a quick trial run. The shoutbox will appear 90 minutes before kick off and end 120 minutes after the start of the game, or the scheduled start of the game.

I may increase this for Sunday games or other games, but assume most people will be chatting live not just when watching the game.

I will run a test run in the week whilst people are online and see what everyone thinks before the live trial on the next game.

At the moment it shows

On the forum index page
http://www.silvertails.net/forum
and
in each forum page i.e.
http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Forum-Rugby-League-Forum

but not the threads, i may consider changing this to show maybe just in the game day thread instead.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Score would be great - sbs does it pretty simply for the World Cup - there is an icon which says "show score"

lsz said:
Score would be great - sbs does it pretty simply for the World Cup - there is an icon which says "show score"

Lol I love this sort of feedback I get it at work a lot "oh just put a button in"

A fair bit needs to go on behind the scenes but I'll figure it out

Even part time is more than me...I know enough to know I have no idea about the technology behind what I do (and the smart guys that do it )

Pfffft, who wants to listen to you dribblers during a game?!

Hey dan can you add a button to make it all like hologram-y and stuff?!

Whiny part time techies and their updates that never work!!!!

:angel:

Would you all prefer to have the archive where each post by a person is attributed as a post, or one big post, with all of the chat archived into a single post

so either
Code:
  - great run
     - that should have been a penalty
       - etc
or

Code:
- This is the chat archive
   - All the replies here

RiverEagle said:
Which of those options are easier for you @Dan

At this stage I don't mind either way.

Will give it some thought tho.

it's much of a muchness really, neither is easier than the other, I guess adding them as posts could potentially cause the server to meltdown a little whilst its adding them, but in reality it shouldn't be a big deal, Ill just do it as posts as that will look a bit better and make sense for people reading over it

Ok all done with the archive.
I just need to figure out the live scores now and its ready to go. I may hold off on live scores for now as we can worry about if the trial this Friday is successful.

Bad game for me to trial this with, I can't work from home watch the game on Friday, which normally means I watch on delay

Final Question: Where do you want the chat?

1 - In a different popup style window
2 - In a box above the forums

Either will work just need to know your thoughts on what you prefer

Think the post (Limited to 200 characters) and the posters username should appear all on the one line - like this:

That was no way a penalty and isnt Snake moving fast _ Dan
and in a pop up.
??

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Think the post (Limited to 200 characters) and the posters username should appear all on the one line - like this:

That was no way a penalty and isnt Snake moving fast _ Dan
and in a pop up.
??

Oh it all appears on one kind I mean when we archive it out to a forum post. All good it's written now so every comment you make in the chat becomes a new post

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4