• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
there is an article floating around that has the refs when a side gets to far in front in penalties one of the refs calls Trent and they start to even the penalties up.
They think its made a come back under a different guise in the past two weeks.

It'd be what supporters have long suspected.

To me it's borderline match fixing - a lot of points are scored after a penalty.

This was fairly common a few years back, but I think because it was cottoned onto they stopped with this call (however not with the practice of doing it)

I don't have Sports Ears but a mate of mine does and I listened to a little bit of a Manly V Cowboys game in Townsville one night.

You may remember the game, Manly were ahead and the Cowboys stormed back in the last 20 to almost take the game away from us.

Well at about the 60 minute mark my mate goes to the dunny and says, want to have a listen for a bit....so I did.

Ref ....after just blowing a penalty to Manly..." how many's that now" (to the video ref)....Video ref Manly 12 Cowboys 4....Ref "oooh ok"

The next 8 straight penalties brought the Cowboys from being well down to almost taking it away from us, delivering to Foxports an "exciting game" and delivering a 13-12 Penalty count (we managed one right at the death when Thurston did something stupid and went off at the ref),

Now tell me that's not match tampering!!

I have said this before but I am getting VERY disillusioned with the game as a result of this.

Read this article the other day about 'Trent'. I was unaware it occurred a few years ago but i have no doubt the refs still do this kind of thing to adjudicate the game in a way that 'they deem fit' - which is why we see so many bizarre and unbelievable decisions from them. Its obvious in most games that they are just evening the penalty count up and not making decisions on who is dominating play.

I hate the refs equally as much as the Storm and Doggies nowadays. These guys ruin so many games because of their poor decision making and are in the spotlight too often. They need to remember their place. Just because they are on the same field as the likes of Choc, Killer, Snake and the Foz does not mean they are stars too, they are just refs. These jerks cant forget that.

tookey said:
Link to the article?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydneys-john-sutton-struggling-with-burden-of-rabbitohs-captaincy/story-fni3fh9o-1226856203332

TRENT’S COMEBACK

There used to be a top secret referees code called Trent.

Whenever one team got too far ahead in the penalties, the referee would get the call “Trent” down his earphones from the video box.

All of a sudden we’d see the penalty count even up.

It seemed like Trent made a comeback in Melbourne on Saturday evening.

Penrith was leading the count 6-1. Then, all of a sudden, it went the other way. Melbourne got the next 10 penalties to two.

How could one team go from being so disciplined to giving away so many penalties?

It was a joke. They did not deserve to lose that game.

Mark from Brisbane said:
The next 8 straight penalties brought the Cowboys from being well down to almost taking it away from us, delivering to Foxports an "exciting game" and delivering a 13-12 Penalty count (we managed one right at the death when Thurston did something stupid and went off at the ref),
Now tell me that's not match tampering!!
I have said this before but I am getting VERY disillusioned with the game as a result of this.
As are many many others, and praps this is one contributing factor in this year's low attendances.
Souff's two consecutive losses to Manly won't help matters, and many many fans are disillusioned with the low standard of refereeing, the un-consulted changes to the rules, the high price of tickets, the crap facilities at grounds, the lack of responsiveness by the NRL to long term one club players and many other issues in the game.

It seems to 'all about the TV' these days, and i cant see this changing or improving. The power is where the money is and visa-versa.
Ch Nein's broadcasts of their matches are disgraceful, and still perceived as weak fronts for gambling websites etc. Betting companies are making A PROFIT, there's no point in indulging them.

it is obvious with sports ears that the refs are dodgy.

You can here times where they call out a player as offside and they player gets involved yet no penalty for example

My current favourite is the ' Markers square' call. There are a few teams that are clearly not square nearly every play, with the second marker pushing the first marker the direction they must go once the ball is played. But the issue is they are standing to the left and right of the play when the ball is played, never penalised (I'm looking at you Bulldogs).

I nearly died when we got pinged last week without the benefit of the 'markers square call' something that was afforded and ignored by the pride of the league earlier in the match.

I heard that on MMM early last week apparently there was claims that this squaring up of penalties thing had happened in the Manly & Storm game.

Brissie Kid said:
I heard that on MMM early last week apparently there was claims that this squaring up of penalties thing had happened in the Manly & Storm game.

I have said in other threads, I was an avid attendee at games (Jane Try Stand Gold Pass) and I watched almost every game every weekend. Because of the dismal state of refereeing I don't go to any games and I don't watch any games live. The only time I watch is a replay of the Manly game if we win. So far this season I have watched one game and I skipped all of the ads.

I am so disillusioned that I can't possibly overstate it.

HappilyManly said:
tookey said:
Link to the article?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydneys-john-sutton-struggling-with-burden-of-rabbitohs-captaincy/story-fni3fh9o-1226856203332

That's actually a pretty big accusation, in print. One wonders why there hasn't been any howls of protest from the nrl, the refs association, or any of the corridors of nrl power.

The only comment I heard was some ref saying about a year ago that they don't even know what the penalty count is...and it wasn't in reference to this accusation.

Or is all that will happen is that the ref's now use a different name?

After the 'darkest day in aussie sport' it seems the administrators simply do not wish to imagine that it's easier for the criminal element to get 1 ref to control the outcome of matches, than it is to get a whole team to do it.

*cue investigation quote*

Melbourne's penalty comeback against us in round 1 and Penrith in round two is evidence enough for me.

The game is over officiated, which makes it painful to watch.

When you have 20 penalties being blown it destroys what is meant to be a free flowing, open game to a stop start frustrating non spectacle akin to netball.

This seems to happen so often it has become expected by all. How many times have we heard commentators at half time talk about how possession WILL even up and then see it actually happen? Seems like a lot to me.

The thing is it makes no sense for possession to even up. If Team A has 60% possession in the first half that is no reason to think Team B will have the greater share after halftime. If anything I would expect the trend to continue as Team A should keep doing what they were doing (assuming they are winning) and Team B are the ones who will be fatiguing from extra defence and also likely to be feeling scoreboard pressure, both of which should make Team B more likely to push the rules and give away more penalties. If anything I would expect a lopsided penalty count at halftime to become more lopsided as the game goes on, or for Team B to sort themselves out as the game goes on and 2nd half penalties to be pretty even, with possession evening up the least likely scenario. For mine, the reason this doesn't seem to happen is either Team B get extra leeway because they are behind on the scoreboard/penalty count, Team A gets policed more harshly because they are ahead on the scoreboard/penalty count, or most likely a combination of the 2.

So how come Manly usually don't get the square up penalties and tend to be on the wrong end of the count? The theory doing the rounds last year was that both Grand Finalists were intentionally giving away penalties to protect their line. Watching the games that seems more plausible for the Roosters than Manly because they seem to give them away at relatively convenient times. My guess would be because (a) we are often in front on the scoreboard despite having less penalties (to be fair this woul be the case for the Roosters too), or (b) the refs want us to lose.

The only thing I disagreed with in Tooves' 10K rant last year was the bit about the lopsided penalty count being a problem in itself. There is no reason penalties should be handed out equally if one team is more disciplined than the other. In summary though he was dead right - THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INVESTIGATION!!!!!

I reckon the penalty try in the GF was awarded purely due to repeated deliberate penalties given away by the Roosters in the first prelim and the GF.

It's more than obvious. Watching livestream gives you a few extra highlights too.

In the Auckland 9's had a ref saying in one game "oh they are chance of it here, I'll hold off on the calls"

What else could that mean but I'll give them every go at winning the game. Ridiculous that they can't just call it as it is.

These holding down penalties are the absolute worst for being evening up calls

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6