Travis Burns Article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
ADAM LUCIUS
21feb06

FORMER barman Travis Burns has emerged from a congested pack to declare he is the man to wear the Sea Eagles' vacant No 6 jersey in next month's premiership opener against Canberra.

Burns was highly impressive in Manly's 44-14 trial loss to the Roosters on Saturday night and has edged ahead of Michael Witt and Michael Monaghan in the race for the five-eighth berth.

Not even a one-match suspension for a dangerous throw on the Roosters' Ashley Harrison is likely to halt the 22-year-old's charge.

Coach Des Hasler will use a number of players at pivot in next Saturday's trial against Wests Tigers but may be prepared to gamble with Burns against the Raiders.

The rookie five-eighth has put on 6kg over the off-season and is a handy goalkicker, further enhancing his chances.

Asked if he was ready to take the step up to the NRL, Burns replied: ``For sure. That's the one I want. This is my year. I spent two years in (Jersey) Flegg at Cronulla and a year in Premier League with Manly so it's time to give it (first grade) a good shot.

``I've been happy with the way I played in both trials and they know what I can do so I'll be ready if they pick me.''

Hasler confirmed he was happy with Burns's contribution in Saturday night but said it was far too early to confirm positions ahead of the season kick-off.

``He's worked hard for it and has put in a big off-season but the side's a long way from being settled,'' Hasler said last night.

``We've only played one trial so far.''

Hasler will choose his strongest possible side to meet the Tigers, who will be desperate for a strong hit out in their only trial against NRL opposition.

Prop Jason King will return from suspension for the Sea Eagles while Ben Kennedy and Steve Menzies will both play after sitting out the loss to the Roosters.

Im not sure if he is up to it every week yet

Burns was okay - he certainly commits the defenders but he made a few errors. I thought he was fair rather than brilliant. As a True Supporter of the club though I am happy to go with the coach!!! :lol:

Travis was built like a brick outhouse at the start of last year. If he has put on another 6 kgs and with experience under his belt this could be a big year for him. He has just turned 22 so it is now up to him to deliver. I will see if I can catch up with him tonight.

His name is Lucius and it is not only him pushing Burns. The Manly Football Manager (well known in the media) seems also to be pushing him.

Whether this is how Des feels is another thing. His suspension this week (and at least two last year) won't help his case!

Adam gets his info from Zorba, Zorba was also pushing Travis' barrow on the radio on Sunday morning.

Sometimes I think that Zorba thinks he coaches Manly not Des.

I would much prefer Ballin got a crack at hooker rather than Burns at 6. If Burns plays 6 most likely Monaghan will play hooker, leaving Ballin in PL.

Totally agree Blunty, Ballin deserves a crack in front of Burns based upon their rrspective efforts on the weekend.

if the decision between Monas & Burns is a close one, would the club throw Monas in PL in the hope he gets pissed off and asks for a release?

would free up some much needed money for next season.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4