TPA a Manly player thru Silvertails worth a thought

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sin Bin: Parramatta Eels set to benefit from NRL's first fan-funded third-party agreement

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-agreement-20150926-gjvhob.html#ixzz3mtqSpgFh
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Parramatta supporters group 1Eyed Eel is poised to make history after proposing to set up rugby league's first supporter-based third-party arrangement for one of the club's players.

The 1Eyed Eel forum, an online gathering place for supporters to discuss all things blue and gold, has such a following that, for much of its history, it has boasted greater traffic numbers than the official parraeels.com.au website.

The latest venture, called the 1Eyed Eel Coterie, will provide its members with a more direct means to contribute to the team if the NRL rubber-stamps the revolutionary concept.

Advertisement
The idea is for a supporter-run company to be formed, with various levels of membership depending on the financial contributions made. 1Eyed Eel Coterie members would then choose a player to sponsor via a registered TPA, which would require the player to provide value back to the group via means such as promotional appearances or website blogs.

Within hours of the idea being floated, dozens of members had registered their interest, with combined pledges topping $10,000.

Parramatta are supporting the initiative and will provide regulatory advice to ensure compliance with the NRL, but will have no say on the player chosen or on the running of the group. It is understood former NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert, who has been engaged by the Eels to sort through a myriad of issues, is available to ensure compliance with the salary cap and head office directives.

Rather than topping up the salary of a superstar such as Manly recruit Kieran Foran, it's likely the first player sponsored will be a lower-profile fan favourite who would otherwise struggle to garner interest from corporate Australia. However, the concept is still in the embryonic stages and those details will be thrashed out as members begin signing up.

The 1Eyed Eel Coterie comes at an interesting time for the game. Former Melbourne chief executive Mark Evans has been engaged by the NRL on a consultancy basis and one of his jurisdictions is reviewing the controversial TPA system. The NRL is looking to make TPAs simpler - the fact there are currently five types of TPA only adds to the confusion.

It's argued the salary cap isn't a genuinely level playing field because some clubs are more capable of generating TPAs than others. We're hearing one option being considered is publishing the number and financial total of each club's TPAs so that the system is more transparent.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-agreement-20150926-gjvhob.html#ixzz3mtqMOfni
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

10k doesn't push the needle and you need to re-up all the time. Nice concept but no point unless you are talking real dollars.

Wasn't this idea floated around here a few years back during one of snakes contract negotiations?
Something feels wrong about the average Joe from out west, who earns say 60k a year, giving their hard earned money to top up the salary of people already earning more than 10 times as much as them.

Wasn't this idea floated around here a few years back during one of snakes contract negotiations?
Something feels wrong about the average Joe from out west, who earns say 60k a year, giving their hard earned money to top up the salary of people already earning more than 10 times as much as them.
Yeah I agree. And unless they can pool together a hundred k a year for three years, the TPA won't work. 10-20k split over the term of a contract isn't going to push a player one way or another.

The TPA might work when your talking a young junior on base wage 80-100k, but 10k would be laughed at by any senior player manager as inconsequential.

So a TPA for a Gutherson or a Deme or a Knight might actually be of value.

Its all relative.

Anyone can 'pledge' money; doesn't mean they will actually stump up with it.
This is an old idea that won't work.

I don't like the idea of average fans stumping up money for highly paid pros. I doubt there are many that would go for it anyway.

Why?

1) if anyone wants to be a sponsor they can be. There are packages worth as low as a grand I think, or buy a box etc.

2) many of us on this site spend quite a bit already, when you count family memberships, merch, game day. I'm relatively ok financially but really could not justify spending any more on my team.

So I doubt there are many people in between us fans who spend probably too much of the family budget on manly, and those who could buy a box or be a low end sponsor or partner.

We just have to trust the club to spend its dollars as best it can on retention and make the right choices.

Yeah I have seen this idea floated before. The only way it can realistaically work is if you collect money to sponsor a young player on the 80K min salary.

The reality is a majority of players will choose a better playing opportunity than a extra $10K. First grade spot is always more lucrative than a little extra money on an early contract.

Suppose it could possibly work for a retiring player such as Mason who was forced to leave to chase that last contract.

Yeah I have seen this idea floated before. The only way it can realistaically work is if you collect money to sponsor a young player on the 80K min salary.

The reality is a majority of players will choose a better playing opportunity than a extra $10K. First grade spot is always more lucrative than a little extra money on an early contract.

Suppose it could possibly work for a retiring player such as Mason who was forced to leave to chase that last contract.
Seriously if you want to give Mason your hard earned you may as well flush it down the toilet. He refuses to retire because he's **** with money...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...tgage-repayments/story-e6frf3su-1226815753809

Most Parra TPAs don't come good and this will be no exception.

I'm looking forward to reading in a few years about how Parra's favourite local junior is leaving and hates the club because he was stiffed by the fans!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6