Tour de France winner Alberto Contador tests positive to steroids

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
September 30, 2010 Three-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador has tested positive to the steroid clenbuterol, a banned substance.

Contador, who won his third yellow jersey at the end of July's three-week epic, announced the news through his personal press officer but blamed the positive test on food contamination.

"Alberto Contador is affected by a doping control at the last Tour de France on July 21, where the substance clenbuterol was found," the message read.

The UCI confirmed in a statement that only a "very small concentration" of the drug had been found and that the case warranted "further scientific investigation" because the Cologne laboratory which detected the substance is known to be able to detect the tiniest traces of drugs.

"The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms which is 400 times less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA (World Anti Doping Agency) must be able to detect," the statement read.

There are a trillion picograms in a gram.

"In view of this very small concentration and in consultation with WADA, the UCI immediately had the proper results management proceedings conducted, including the analysis of B sample that confirmed the first result."

"The rider, who had already put an end to his cycling season before the result was known, was nevertheless formally and provisionally suspended as is prescribed by the World Anti-Doping Code.

"This case required further scientific investigation before any conclusion could be drawn."

Contador is the second cyclist this season to blame a positive test for clenbuterol on food contamination.

China's Li Fuyu, who rode for the RadioShack team of seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, tested positive for the banned substance earlier this season and blamed food contamination.

Used to treat breathing disorders such as asthma, clenbuterol is an organic compound that has short-term effects similar to the stimulant ephedrine, as it increases heart rate, temperature, perspiration and blood pressure.

It has also been used as a "fat burning" weight loss drug, although scientific studies have not conclusively proven the drug's qualities in this domain.

Contador is a grub anyway.  Now he's cheated twice to win this years Le Tour (after running away on a chainless Schleck).  No surprise, his Vo2max scores on some of his uphill runs were impossible without medical help.

Got to say as a fan i am gutted

Yes he was a grub

Yes you thought he might be on something...but i just hoped he was clean

You know i would be surprised if it was not rife in most sports

The issue is the drugs are way ahead of testers

True, which was the subject of my asklowie question although it was so heavily edited that no-one knew what it was about.  When the Danny Wicks case rolls around I wonder if Gallop will be holding his breath.

I dont think Peformance Enhancing drugs would be rife in NRL. For the most part they are use to heal more quickly from injuries.

Recreational drug use however is a different thing altogether.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8