Top 5 NZ Manly players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Only 3 really stand out for me. In no particular order, Foz, Matai and Ridge.
Great players.

Jax24 said:
The style of that early 90s team, probably due to Lowes coaching was a adlib style of play very similar to the Warriors today. They were a exciting team to watch, who played entertaining Footy.

Lowe had his impact but Manly have always played that way since the early 1980s at least.

Phil Blake and later Cliff Lyons would have been dropped at some other clubs for the risky way they played.

Brissie Kid said:
Jax24 said:
The style of that early 90s team, probably due to Lowes coaching was a adlib style of play very similar to the Warriors today. They were a exciting team to watch, who played entertaining Footy.

Lowe had his impact but Manly have always played that way since the early 1980s at least.

Phil Blake and later Cliff Lyons would have been dropped at some other clubs for the risky
way they played.
Yeah, no doubt. I agree that Cliffy and Phils style of play was risky. If anything you just reinforced my reason as to why NZers like Manly as their 2nd team. As i stated they played adlib, risky style of Footy which Is the NZ style of play. Obviously Manly played a similar style before and after Lowe. I was just mentioning him as a reason why NZers liked Manly with him being a Kiwi coach.

Id have to say my top 5 would be in no order Ridge, Foran, Matai, Williams and Innes.

bones said:
A British themed team:

2 David Myers
3 Bob Fulton (born in London)
4 John Devereaux
6 Mark Lennon
7 Gary Stephens
8 Ian Roberts ( born in Warrington)
9 John Gray
10 Kevin Ward
11 Phil Lowe
12 Mal Reilly
13 Steve Norton

14 Andy Goodway
15 Hugh Waddell
16 Bernard Dwyer

That fullback is playing for the Dogs next year.

How about the order they played for Manly?
Dazza, Ridgy, Innes, Shoulders, Foz.

Or - on premierships won, currently Matai is leading.

bones said:
In no particular order:

Kieran Foran
Steve Matai
Mathew Ridge
Craig Innes
Darrell Williams

Yep hard to go past these 5 boys.

TWO DOGS said:
Mals said:
bones said:
In no particular order:

Kieran Foran
Steve Matai
Mathew Ridge
Craig Innes
Darrell Williams

Yep hard to go past these 5 boys.

I agree with this also. All great players.

Spot on. I was a huge fan of Innes. Nobody got through him and he could run over the top of defences as well. Of those 5 my favorite would still be Shoulders.

When assessing these players greatness at Manly, I look at a combination of quality, loyalty and premierships.

So for me, Matai ticks all the boxes and sits at the zenith. Ridge for mine gets the award for the highest footballing qualities, but misses the loyalty box and has one less premiership than Stevie. Foran, currently number 3 with a bullet and over time may overtake Stevie.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6