Top 4 beckons

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
After next week we should be in the Top 4, because Storm will smash Souths and we should beat the Warriors. Currently Souths for and against is only marginally better than our own.
And if we do get in, then all we have to do is keep winning. We have some hard games to come but this team has so much improvement left in them it is ridiculous.

We need to win our next 2, Faiders play rorters and the scum.

Why is finishing top 4 such a massive thing?

I get that historically it is an advantage, but this year, with a game at Brookvale, I would rather finish 5th, and play at home, than have to travel to Melbourne. Every game after week 1 is a sudden death anyway, and I'm not a big fan of the week off for Top 4 winners.

It's much the muchness this year in particular, with the policy change.

You only need a 4 game run to win a GF.

I seem to remember the 1995-97 Manly teams all unexpectedly losing a game to a low rank team in the last 4 weeks out from the finals. Then we won 5 or 6 straight in the run to the grand final.

If Manly don't lose another game we will enter the finals having won 8 in a row. It's hard to see any team winning 11 or 12 in a row ending with the grand final.

Even Dessie can't keep Manly in top gear all the way from here until the play offs and then win all of the finals games to reach the grand final. There's going to be an upset loss somewhere. Has to be.

Edit: I was wrong about 1995. Only lost 2 regular season games - Rd 16 v Rorters & Rd 18 v Sharks. Damn that 1995 Manly team was good!

But was right about
Rd 21 1997. Gold Coast 25 Manly 10.
Rd 20 1996. Penrith 18 Manly 14

Last edited:
Top 4 is crucial according to Des as you get a second bite at the cherry. I tend to agree. You might have an off game and have the opportunity to reverse the result or win and have a weeks rest. That's why no team has ever won outside the top 5.

The Storm and most likely Roosters will finish top 2, but the fight for the other 2 spots is fairly open with Manly, Souths and Canberra considering the run home.
On current form, Souths are treading water, but there will be a few twists and upsets in coming weeks.
I don't like the fact we are playing NZ after copping a hammering and knowing they will be out to amend, but truth is, even at 75% should contain Sheck roll them comfortably.

Top 5 games against in each other in last 5 rounds.
Rd 21
Super Sunday
Raiders vs roosters 2pm
Souths vs Storm 4 pm

Rd 22
Storm vs raiders 5:30 Saturday

Rd 23
Raiders vs Manly Sunday 4pm

Rd 24
Battle of Brookvale
Manly Vs Storm 5:30 Saturday

Rd 25
Souths vs Roosters Thursday night.

If we are good enough we will get there it’s in our hands.
If we beat Canberra and the other games we can afford to drop the Melbourne game and still make the 4.

I’m off to do the finals predictor.

Top 4 is crucial according to Des as you get a second bite at the cherry. I tend to agree. You might have an off game and have the opportunity to reverse the result or win and have a weeks rest. That's why no team has ever won outside the top 5.

I think this year's comp is different. 26 points will be the top 8 cutoff I think. That's a low bar.

The top 5 is miles ahead of the rest.
Usually the top 1 or 2 are miles ahead, and unbackable favourites, with the next 5 or so being fairly equal on the next tier.
5th could quite concievably win the comp this year.

Des should quite rightly be priming the players for a top 4 berth, dont want any complacency, s a fan though, top 5 will be enough to give us a red hot chance.

I am just grateful that we have a team that is together and getting stronger. What they have achieved is already a big over achievement and I think they are thriving as underdogs while the Drizzle, Rorters, Vermin and Co get all the plaudits. The Canberra game away will be the decisive one I feel. I think we will be OK and if we progress avoid drizzle park in week 3 of the finals.

That concerns me Des should be concentrating on winning games not taking two bites of Cherry. I wonder how cherry feels about Des biting him
Even once
:)

Why is finishing top 4 such a massive thing?

I get that historically it is an advantage, but this year, with a game at Brookvale, I would rather finish 5th, and play at home, than have to travel to Melbourne. Every game after week 1 is a sudden death anyway, and I'm not a big fan of the week off for Top 4 winners.

It's much the muchness this year in particular, with the policy change.

You only need a 4 game run to win a GF.
If you ask Des he will 100% disagree. The week off is huge going into a GF.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10