Top 10 players with something to prove

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Overrated, under pressure, swapped clubs, next big thing – we name the top 10 players with something to prove next NRL season, with 10 honourable mentions for good measure.

Read More

How would you like Tony Williams and Dave Taylor in the same side? They could be the most damaging pair of backrowers ever, but more likely, the biggest disappointments. Both can be highly destructive when on their game. Their coaches respectively must be infuriated with them at times.

I wonder if Tony has an ongoing injury problem?

Overrated, under pressure, swapped clubs, next big thing – we name the top 10 players with something to prove next NRL season, with 10 honourable mentions for good measure.

TONY WILLIAMS (Bulldogs)

You know the story: T-Rex looks like Tarzan (after 10 years of drinking protein shakes and pumping iron) and plays like Jane (albeit with hairy, tree-trunk legs). Except for that one time back in 2011, when Williams was the most destructive player in the game. What happened to that guy? The NRL misses him greatly.

LUKE BROOKS (Wests Tigers)

The next Andrew Johns. It’s a horribly unfair tag for a teenage kid to carry but it gives you some idea of just how talented budding halfback Brooks is. How will he handle the hype – especially when he is expected to command the fortunes of a lowly team?

CHRIS SANDOW (Eels)

What role Sandow will actually play this season for the Eels, who knows? The cheeky and hugely-talented halfback has had bigger things on his plate recently, though he has rejoined his team for pre-season training.

GARETH WIDDOP (Dragons)

Can talented Englishman Widdop play – really play? All indications suggest the answer is a resounding yes, and St George Illawarra certainly thought so by offering him a meaty contract, but playing as the junior partner in a Melbourne spine featuring Aussie Test champions Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith is a plum gig.

BEN HUNT (Broncos)

It has been a long time since Allan Langer at Brisbane and the beloved memory of Darren Lockyer is fast being engulfed by concern for the current Broncos outfit. In the playmaking stocks, fringe half Ben Hunt is suddenly the man main after the exits of experienced halfbacks Scott Prince and Peter Wallace, and highly-regarded five-eighth Corey Norman.

DAVE TAYLOR (Titans)

The talent of the “Coal Train” has notoriously been in inverse proportion to his work ethic. Again this year, NRL fans wait with bated breath to see if this will be the season in which Taylor – Allan Langer trapped in a WWE wrestler’s body – becomes an unstoppable force.

JAMIE SOWARD (Panthers)

Former NSW five-eighth Soward doesn’t buy the line that he has anything to prove to anybody, having won a premiership with the Dragons and played Origin with the Blues. But as the old saying goes, you’re only as good as your last performance – Soward’s form was so dire during last season that he exited the Dragons mid-term to the howls of fans who thought he was not putting in, having already been told he was not in the club’s plans for the future.

ADAM REYNOLDS (Rabbitohs)

South Sydney general Reynolds has proven he is an excellent NRL halfback – but is he more? Is he the man to deliver the Rabbitohs a first premiership since 1971, is he the player to fill the NSW No.7 jersey and end Queensland’s Origin dominance after eight years?

SAM TOMKINS (Warriors)

Flying England Test fullback Tomkins has declared he wants to test himself against the best in the NRL, and be tested he shall. The prevailing mood on fan forums has been that the pint-sized custodian could be in for a rude shock, with his raft of achievements in the English Super League buying him little street cred.

ANTHONY MILFORD (Raiders)

IF you’ve watched this teenage superstar play, you’ll have an idea of why Canberra fought tooth and nail to keep Milford from the clutches of Brisbane. With the ability to play in the halves and fullback, Milford was offered the best part of $1 million a season to stay with the Raiders, yet has ultimately signed a three-year Broncos deal from 2015.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Will Hopoate (Eels)
Ben Barba (Broncos)
Jamal Idris (Panthers)
Willie Tonga (Eels)
Eric Grothe Jr (Sharks)
Kade Snowden (Knights)
Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers)
Sam Williams (Dragons)
Luke Keary (Rabbitohs)
George Rose (Storm)

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/top-10-players-with-something-to-prove-in-2014-11923/#ixzz2s4Qs6Rna

mozgrame said:

Read More

How would you like Tony Williams and Dave Taylor in the same side? They could be the most damaging pair of backrowers ever, but more likely, the biggest disappointments. Both can be highly destructive when on their game. Their coaches respectively must be infuriated with them at times.

I would like to see them both under Bellamy. He will get the best out of them, so much potential just wasted.

Eagle Rock said:
mozgrame said:

Read More

I would like to see them both under Bellamy. He will get the best out of them, so much potential just wasted.

Yeah, they would both go well in a side that is cheating.

Our own Jason King should be on that list as well . We need a big injury free year from him big time considering all the experienced prop forwards that we have lost

Our stars have nothing to prove. And our youngsters carry little expectations (apart from their own). The pressure is all on other teams.

castle eagle said:
mozgrame said:

yeah, he's done a heartilage.
happened early 2012 & looks to have never healed

In t-Rex's defence it was always Des and the more brainless media that talked him up. I have never heard him give himself a wrap.

He is simply not a "footballer" he can't read the game and he simply doesn't understand it or what is happening. I always thought Des was writing chqs the poor big boof couldn't cash.

On the field he reminds me of an old saying.....if you keep your head whilst everybody around you is losing theirs .... you obviously don't understand what's happening.

Alan said:
castle eagle said:
mozgrame said:

In t-Rex's defence it was always Des and the more brainless media that talked him up. I have never heard him give himself a wrap.

He is simply not a "footballer" he can't read the game and he simply doesn't understand it or what is happening. I always thought Des was writing chqs the poor big boof couldn't cash.

On the field he reminds me of an old saying.....if you keep your head whilst everybody around you is losing theirs .... you obviously don't understand what's happening.
To all the people that think that T Rex cant play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuTOjwRWOvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lztKkkOF9A4

I don't think the issue with T-Rex is that he can't play. He has ability (although his reading of the game left a lot to be desired), and I think that's what frustrates people so badly. He went through a patch late in 2011 when he was the most destructive forward in the comp.......we know what he can do, but those days are interspersed with games where he just doesn't seem to want to do anything. Or seem slightly interested.

T-Rex mightn't be saying he's great, but when you earn the dough you need to back it up.

Alan said:
castle eagle said:
mozgrame said:

i've read interviews where he has said that he knows he needs to step up and do more ( both in 2012 & again last year).
i'm not disputing his ability & any opposition would be in trouble if he can consistently play to his ability, but i'm glad we didn't waste money on keeping him last year.

BOZO said:
Alan said:
castle eagle said:
mozgrame said:

To all the people that think that T Rex cant play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuTOjwRWOvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lztKkkOF9A4

in the interests of balance please post the other 78 minutes of each game

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Let sleeping dogs lie.

sleeping dog...t-rex at the doggies .. very good.
However the discussion is relevant given his name was raised in players with something to prove.

Idris (Panthers) v Titans should be good. (The real reason Idris left and where it started from) was a night out for the Titans boys last year where Idris told Bull Bailey that he should have retired, and he was just an old Bull now:-/....absolutely no love lost between the pair (hence Idris pissing off.)

3 minutes 51 seconds sums up his career highlights. Far outweighed by hours of nothing.

Big body that seems to be constantly injured.

wombatgc said:
Idris (Panthers) v Titans should be good. (The real reason Idris left and where it started from) was a night out for the Titans boys last year where Idris told Bull Bailey that he should have retired, and he was just an old Bull now:-/....absolutely no love lost between the pair (hence Idris pissing off.)

Actually I'm with Idris on this one, I think Bailey should have retired 3 or 4 years ago.

mozgrame said:
Read More

Someone talking sense finally. Yes, TRex suffered that serious back injury in a SOO. Went down inexplicably & stayed down. Had all the earmarks of Ruptured Discs. ! Has never been the same since.
He should not be playing at all. And its great. What a waste of Bulldogs money.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4