Toovey's seen enough tackling from Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eelcatcher

Reserve Grader
By Steve Jancetic AAP

Manly coach Geoff Toovey knows his side can tackle - he doesn't need them to prove it any longer.

The Sea Eagles were forced to get through a mountain of defence on their own line against Wests Tigers on Thursday night before the tide turned severely as they ran away 26-0 winners.

It was a scoreline anyone who watched the opening 15 minutes would have struggled to believe given the amount of ball the Sea Eagles dropped near their own line - the Tigers' inability to make Manly pay coming back to bit them.
Y
But Toovey said his side couldn't afford to keep coughing up that much possession - particularly with a schedule that includes Canterbury, Cronulla and South Sydney over the coming three weeks.

"It's going to catch up with you eventually," Toovey said of the poor handling.

"Continue to give the opposition ball, I think they're going to make you pay."

Written off as perhaps being too old to mount another title challenge, the Sea Eagles have thrown egg in the face of some critics with their 3-1 start to the season.

Toovey in fact pointed to the experience in his side as being a key during the inconsistent patches of some of their early season games.

"I think it's the application and the mental toughness of the players," Toovey said when asked how his side was able to weather such a defensive storm early in the game.

"We've got a few experienced blokes in the side and they knot they can push through that barrier and that's what we're doing.

"But we don't want to keep doing that because you do run out of petrol."

http://www.nrl.com/tooveys-seen-enough-tackling-from-manly/tabid/10874/newsid/71445/default.aspx

Interesting article, and quite agree with this. Definetly need to work on our attack more.

eelcatcher said:
Interesting article, and quite agree with this. Definetly need to work on our attack more.

Not sure I agree with this.
After this weekend I think we will have the best defensive record after 4 rounds.
Our attack is well & truely up there too though.
At an average of 23.5 points scored per game we are only marginally behind renowed attackers, the Rabbitohs.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2