Toovey says Manly ready to fly again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Toovey says Manly ready to fly again

By Joe Barton, 20 Feb 2013

It’s hard to imagine a more disruptive pre-season than the one Manly have faced but if coach Geoff Toovey is worried, he isn’t showing it.
In the past month alone Manly have been mentioned in the Australian Crime Commission’s report into performance-enhancing drug use in sport, had their sports science department audited and come under the spotlight of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.
But Toovey is unwavering in his belief that the Sea Eagles have nothing to hide, and for that reason argues the whole process has been a walk in the park compared to his first pre-season at the helm last year.
This time 12 months ago Toovey was still reeling from the loss of the vast majority of the Sea Eagles coaching staff, including head coach Des Hasler, recruitment officer Noel Cleal and assistant coach Kelly Egan who all joined Canterbury.
“Last year there was a traumatic change to the usual,” Toovey says.
“We lost a lot of coaching staff, almost all the coaching staff…
“This year it’s been very much a case of a consistent environment. It’s been a much smoother ride.”
The drugs-in-sport controversy hasn’t been the only distraction to the Sea Eagles.
They also lost fringe first graders Vic Mauro and Liam Foran to English club Salford little over a month out from the season – in addition to major off-season losses Tony Williams (Canterbury), Dean Whare (Penrith) and Parramatta-bound pair Darcy Lussick and Daniel Harrison.
It forces extra pressure on the club’s aging roster, with depth likely to be tested, but Toovey pointed to a pair of Gen Y stars who he will be calling on to lead the Sea Eagles out of trouble in 2013.
Gun halves pairing Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans are still in their NRL infancy with just five years experience between them but Toovey expects the duo to take giant leaps this season under the tutelage of full-time assistant Andrew Johns.
Foran struggled mightily with injuries in 2012, while Cherry-Evans battled form issues but Toovey is confident those problems are behind them.
“I think with Cherry in particular I suppose it’s the old story that people have worked his game out a little bit but his game is evolving and you’ll see improvement from him every year – from both our halves,” Toovey says.
“They’ve had great pre-seasons. Kieran in particular missed a lot of last pre-season (through injury). He’s fighting fit and ready to go.
“Those two in particular I think will have great years.”
That would go a long way towards eradicating Toovey’s biggest gripe from his debut coaching season – losing winnable games.
As a player the 168cm Toovey was a tenacious competitor who refused to concede an inch, whether that meant throwing his body in front of a 120kg front rower or barking into the ear of a referee.
As a coach he is no different and he simply couldn’t accept the number of games Manly gave up against lesser-favoured opposition.
“Last year we probably lost games that we were expected to win,” he says.
“We were coming up against teams that were lower on the table than us and we didn’t produce our best.”
Toovey also believes the Sea Eagles are well-placed to deal with the loss of Williams given the damaging back-rower missed almost half of the regular season through injury and suspension last year.
His minutes, and role, will likely be shared by surprise NSW Origin debutant Jamie Buhrer and impressive recruit Justin Horo (Parramatta).
“Whilst we will miss a bit of impact we think the players that have come in will add a little bit of different variety in our game.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/02/20/toovey-says-sea-eagles-ready-to-fly-again/

I disagree with the comment - "It’s hard to imagine a more disruptive pre-season than the one Manly have faced".

Brookie4eva said:
I disagree with the comment - "It’s hard to imagine a more disruptive pre-season than the one Manly have faced".
Yeah, I reckon the pre-season before this one would be pretty hard to beat.

I don't think it's been that disruptive really,we were cleared of performance enhancing drug taking & as for losing a few players well most of the sides go through that.

I think it's disruptive more when injuries come into effect.

Brookie4eva said:

I think Joe has forgetton about the 2009 pre season

You think our boys would be used to a disruptive preseason buy now lol.

Tooves will have them ready to go. Bet he would love a quiet preseason though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4