• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Daly Cherry-Evans has laughed off suggestions he played a hand in the sacking of former Manly coach Geoff Toovey.

Manly chairman Scott Penn last month claimed "significant changes in the football department had to be made" to keep the star halfback at the club, but Cherry-Evans says his decision to stay had nothing to do with Toovey's future as coach.

"It was a very big misconception thrown out there but I guess that's what the media does," he told Sky Sports Radio.

"It could have been Geoff Toovey, it could have been Des Hasler, it could have been Craig Bellamy.

"It didn't bother me who was coach, I just wanted to stay there and play with my teammates and enjoy this beautiful lifestyle."

Cherry-Evans, who initially penned a deal with the Gold Coast before signing a lifetime deal with the Sea Eagles, also said he expected a better season at the club now the contract dramas were over.

"I've definitely probably got a different mindset this season," he said ahead of the Manly's opening-round home clash with Canterbury on Friday night.

"I can probably worry about my job in the side a bit more rather than life away from rugby league."

Penn last month hinted the club opted to change the majority of their football staff, including Toovey, in an effort to see Cherry-Evans renege on his Titans deal after five-eighth Kieran Foran also signed with Parramatta.

"It was an indictment on the structure we had at the time," he told Fairfax Media last month.

"We weren't giving Daly and Kieran the hope we were going to be the long-term successful organisation we wanted to be.

"That's pretty damning when you can't retain your marquees because they can't see where the club is going."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...nly-sea-eagles-daly-cherry-evans/?cmp=twitter

So what was Penn hoping to achieve with his statements ?? Just trying to deflect blame ?? Seems strange he'd throw DCE out there as being the catalyst for change, yet DCE says he had no such thoughts.

If you take a look at footage of DCE's press conference after he re-signed,as he walks into the room,the first bloke he goes up and gives a pat on the back and a big smile is Tooves.Plenty of times last yr the 2 were seen in jovial moods together.The Penn's are just continuing to throw Tooves under the bus.Most fans have moved on,why can't they and Zorba do the same?

So what was Penn hoping to achieve with his statements ?? Just trying to deflect blame ?? Seems strange he'd throw DCE out there as being the catalyst for change, yet DCE says he had no such thoughts.

Yeah, not good . Penn needs some media training !!

It was dumb to throw your only Lifetime Contract Player under the bus irrespective of Chez' relationship to 2v :confused:

Chez had 18 months of Media assault on his perceived responsibility for Gifty's leaving. Then the Owner gives an unsolicited piece on how Chez is also the one to blame for 2v's sacking - WTF @:mad:

Why not blame Foran, if you are insipid enough to defer an unpopular 'business decision' to a Player ? @:rolleyes:

#StrongerTogether

Who cares it's living in the past....always have Tooves a personal favourite but let's move on to 2016...get with the times ....& support Barrett.
A new coach with fresh ideas & a great playing roster adds to exciting times, so don't let negative press that died last year burden a promising 2016....do they not try & find a way to railroad our season Every year....predictable...but no deal.

Who cares it's living in the past....always have Tooves a personal favourite but let's move on to 2016...get with the times ....& support Barrett.
A new coach with fresh ideas & a great playing roster adds to exciting times, so don't let negative press that died last year burden a promising 2016....do they not try & find a way to railroad our season Every year....predictable...but no deal.

At the same time, you have to embrace your history. Toovey most certainly got the results (despite all my complaining about his out wide defensive structures, and his metres after impact policies, and our speed in the play the ball).

Des Hasler brought back that heavyweight feeling we had back in the mid 90's. Toovey carried that on. There is a reason players like Lewis Brown say they were jealous/envious of us, and feel humbled at an opportunity to play for us.

History and culture are very important. I think that's also why teams like Titans struggle to attain talent.

The part of the interview they didn't quote was when Chez said he told Toovea to his face that he didn't care who was coach. I'm sure he meant that as a reassurance but if I were coach, there's a good chance I wouldn't feel the love so much.
Different creature is our DCE.

The part of the interview they didn't quote was when Chez said he told Toovea to his face that he didn't care who was coach. I'm sure he meant that as a reassurance but if I were coach, there's a good chance I wouldn't feel the love so much.
Different creature is our DCE.

Nah mate. It's the age. It's why throughout history people class group's as baby boomers, Gen Y, Gen X and all that. Fact is, in today's day and age, it's not so much about the jersey, the community, the fans and the colours. It's about how much they can get, as fast as they can get it, with the world revolving around them.

Not sure if that will work out for them post football, but hey, whatever works.

I know I try and fight that culture. I just won't and refuse to accept it (even though it's happening all around us, and getting worse).

i just saw Bozo in Narrabeen and I think he has assumed Tooveys mantle and Manly's Most Grumpy...

At the same time, you have to embrace your history. Toovey most certainly got the results (despite all my complaining about his out wide defensive structures, and his metres after impact policies, and our speed in the play the ball).

Des Hasler brought back that heavyweight feeling we had back in the mid 90's. Toovey carried that on. There is a reason players like Lewis Brown say they were jealous/envious of us, and feel humbled at an opportunity to play for us.

History and culture are very important. I think that's also why teams like Titans struggle to attain talent.
Why are you twisting my post to try make it sound like I want to forget the proud Manly history.
Most would clearly see the post was implying to forget the he said/she said stuff in relation to throwing DCE under the bus in relation to Toovey....the toovey/Hasler culture had zero to do with my post, simply stating the media or whoever will try to destabilise Manly before a footy is kicked - don't be stupid enough to feed them basically. ....think you are jumping on anything in retaliation to my opinion on another thread where you jumped the gun stating a player leaving Manly with a guess went wrong.....personally happy to let those things slide, though can 100% see why Rex & a certain father were not happy....leave it at that hey.

Why are you twisting my post to try make it sound like I want to forget the proud Manly history.
Most would clearly see the post was implying to forget the he said/she said stuff in relation to throwing DCE under the bus in relation to Toovey....the toovey/Hasler culture had zero to do with my post, simply stating the media or whoever will try to destabilise Manly before a footy is kicked - don't be stupid enough to feed them basically. ....think you are jumping on anything in retaliation to my opinion on another thread where you jumped the gun stating a player leaving Manly with a guess went wrong.....personally happy to let those things slide, though can 100% see why Rex & a certain father were not happy....leave it at that hey.

I agree with you completely about moving on, and the media trauling historical events to destabilize the place.

But those events certainly had ramifications, and those were that Toovey, and most of his staff were sacked, and half the playing group got moved on. People can certainly move on, and embrace the cultural change - I think it's really exciting - But they don't have to forget. Especially when reminders like this article keep being produced.

What I was saying in my earlier reply, is despite that, Toovey still maintained that heavyweight culture around the place, that Des left as his legacy.

I did comment to yourself, because yes, you took the opportunity in another thread to adamantly suggest my opinion was wrong. This article also relates to a player that was shopping himself around publicly. Look at the types of press it creates. Look at the weaponry it provides these blokes with. Comes down to etiquette and professionalism.

I wonder, what will you say, if Liam Knight does sign with The Roosters? Especially considering your suggesting "my guess went wrong". Has it? You sound pretty certain is all.

I actually do get some direct feedback in relation to player movements by a friend directly involved in the process Ryan...& tbh my mail was far different than yours as far as signed, sealed , delivered however...like any quality junior coming through there is obviously expressions of interest.
In relation to Knight, mine is 3rd hand info & the posts by papa Knight which I thought were very fair under the circumstances , will have far more accuracy than what I know about this particular youngster.
At the time you originally posted in a certain way he was gone, I chose to simply ignore it....I like your legitimate love of the club & don't get kicks out of ambushing or ganging up, however imo, I stick by Rex having good reason to be pi**ed off & Papa defending his flesh & blood on this forum.

I actually do get some direct feedback in relation to player movements by a friend directly involved in the process Ryan...& tbh my mail was far different than yours as far as signed, sealed , delivered however...like any quality junior coming through there is obviously expressions of interest.
In relation to Knight, mine is 3rd hand info & the posts by papa Knight which I thought were very fair under the circumstances , will have far more accuracy than what I know about this particular youngster.
At the time you originally posted in a certain way he was gone, I chose to simply ignore it....I like your legitimate love of the club & don't get kicks out of ambushing or ganging up, however imo, I stick by Rex having good reason to be pi**ed off & Papa defending his flesh & blood on this forum.

No, fair enough. Taken on board. I don't think I delivered the message very well. I hope I explained it better in my last post in the Liam Knight thread.

My info on Knight has less certainty than a pair of white undies after eating Indian and watching the Evil Dead, so I'll have to take your work for it mate ;)

Groan, here we go again, yet another thread that is just one big long...............................

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7