Toovey hits out over Manly rumours

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey has accused outside influences of "trying to bring the club down" amid further rumblings of player discontent on the Northern Beaches after his side's 21-12 dismantling of the Dragons at Jubilee Oval.

Read More

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey has accused outside influences of "trying to bring the club down" amid further rumblings of player discontent on the Northern Beaches after his side's 21-12 dismantling o
toovey_accuses_hasler_s_bulldogs_of_cheating_121.jpg
f the Dragons at Jubilee Oval.

Just minutes before kick-off reports from Channel Nine emerged that three of Manly's stars - Brett Stewart, Steve Matai and current NSW second-rower Anthony Watmough - had sought releases in recent weeks as the fallout from the decision to not offer club favourite Glenn Stewart a contract continues to engulf the club.

The majority of Manly players brushed the media after the match, though Matai confirmed to Triple M that he had sought and been denied a release from the club in the wake of being offered a reported four-year, $2.5 million deal by the Warriors.

Watmough refused to confirm or deny whether he had sought a release from the final year of his contract with the Sea Eagles, while the youngest of the Stewart brothers is contracted to the club until the end of 2016.

Rumours have hit fever pitch in recent weeks of the club being divided along senior and junior ranks over the departure of the eldest Stewart to Souths next year, with the push to retain Clive Churchill medal-winning halfback Daly Cherry-Evans – who will be one of the most sought-after players in the NRL when off-contract next season – and recent contract extensions for back-rowers Jamie Buhrer and Jesse Sene-Lefao believed to have split the playing group.

Toovey went on the offensive in the wake of his side's fifth win in six starts, though significantly did not give a definitive answer on whether the star trio had asked to leave the club.

"Everyone keeps trying to bring the club down when we're successful and I don't understand it so we'll continue on," said Toovey.

"This year's going extremely well for us and we've got a great group of players and they're playing extremely well. That's what they do best, is play football and hopefully they'll continue to do that.

"I can't confirm or deny... I don't talk about contracts but as far as I know they'll be here next year."

Skipper Jamie Lyon dismissed the continued speculation as "a bit of a beat-up", while Toovey mused that rival clubs must be flouting the NRL's November 1st anti-tampering date for there to be persistent rumours about Manly players leaving the club despite having over a year to run on current contracts.

"I don't know (if clubs are approaching players) but that's the only thing I can think (why) those rumours are out there," said Toovey.

"I don't know if that's legal or not. I believe it's not legal but it's a quality team full of quality players and we're doing our best to continue on having a great season and that's what we'll do."

Matai and Stewart were among the Sea Eagles' best as they repeatedly targeted the Dragons' fragile right edge in the four-tries-to-two win, which was only Manly's second in seven visits to Jubilee Oval.

"We've had difficulty winning here and our record shows that," Toovey said of the win that elevates the Sea Eagles two points clear at the top of the NRL ladder.

"But it was a really tough effort from our blokes. They're a quality side and I thought we defended really well."

Toovey said post-match that Matai, who left the field midway through the first half with a cork, was not a major injury concern, though a suspected medial ligament tear to Dunamis Lui has the young prop in doubt for Manly's trip to New Zealand for next Sunday's clash.
By Dan Walsh
NRL.com

http://www.nrl.com/toovey-hits-out-over-manly-rumours/tabid/10874/newsid/80423/default.aspx

Its simple, the NRL needs ban all contract talks outside transfer windows.

Then put rules in place that the media cannot speculate outside that period.

But the NRL are soft when it comes to the media.

How much truth there is or isn't in the media, there's no doubt there's a massive faction that does want to derail and divide the team and club.

Rugby League though has a history of teams thriving under adversity (including Manly!)

Whilst it's all frustrating and worrying, don't underestimate 2V's ability (along with the senior players) to channel all of that into efforts on the field.

It's happening NOW.

Exactly.
To be honest i wouldnt be surprised if some of this discontent talk has been deliberately blown out of proportion by those close to the side or even by the players in it, purely to create more siege mentality for the side. And we all know what happens when siege mentality kicks in at Manly - we win comps!

I agree Lord.

While there probly is some truth to it all (and the media frenzy is very real) the experience of Tooves and guys like Killer,Snake,Choc and Skivy would all combine and know only too well how to use it to the team's advantage.

We'll know soon enough mate!

I think that Toovey has been the glue that has kept this team together. Players will come and go but Tooves is a beacon for the culture that has been at the club for many years.

I just wish now that things can heal and the club can go on and reward Tooves with a premiership.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4