Toovey and Kite

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
CAMBO said:
... If we win the comp the media will start talking about tooves...
They should Cambo, especially with all the new players he's brought in - but let's wait and see.
I'm sure an element will simply trumpet that he inherited a champion roster. (And then probably start questioning our salary cap bona fides!)

When Hasler left I will admit I was worried. I had probably bought too much into the one man club saviour myth.

But of course the truth of the matter is that Hasler did not make Manly, Manly made Hasler.

The likes of Toovey and Kite are the sinews of this great club. People used to think that we were only good because we were rich (Silvertails) but we were rich because we were good. The Bulldogs attempted to buy some of our culture, the transplant is not looking that healthy.

HE is big and hardened but emotion got the better of Brent Kite on Wednesday.

The Daily Telegraph was speaking with Kite about his last game for Manly at Brookvale Oval this Sunday when tears welled in the big bloke's eyes.

"I can be a basket-case emotionally," said Kite.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sea-eagles-backrower-brent-kite-flys-for-the-sea-eagles-on-brookvale-oval-one-last-time/story-fni3gnk1-1226710875455

Sea Eagles backrower Brent Kite flies for the Sea Eagles on Brookvale Oval one last time:(
DEAN RITCHIE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH SEPTEMBER 05, 2013 1

Kite's tears perfectly illustrated exactly how much passion he holds for Manly.

After winning two premierships and playing three grand finals for Manly over a nine-year career, Kite will play out his career with Penrith, the team he confronts this Sunday afternoon.

Manly has made the finals every year Kite has played at Brookvale. It's no coincidence.

"I feel like I have been part of the ride just as much as anyone," Kite said.
"Don Singe (head strength and conditioning trainer) always says a lot of people want to take credit but the real thing is that a lot of guys have chipped in.

"I hope I played my part, I think I did.

"It's been a great ride. I am getting emotional right now just thinking about it.

"It has been a real happy period and fond memories over the decade."
Told his tears showed passion for the club, Kite said: "I have tried not to think about this (last game at Brookvale) too much because I know what I am like.

"I am likely to be a mess and the boys will give me heaps because I am basket-case emotionally.

"Manly will always hold a special place for me and my family. Mum says she will support Penrith for two years but, after that, back to Manly.

"Obviously there will some friendships to be made out at Penrith but this place will always be 'up there'.

"This came around really quick. It’s starting to hit home. It will be a bit sad, that’s for sure.

"But it's good to leave the joint in a place where they are contenders. It is a happy club and a club players want to come to."

Kite has been a true powerhouse at the club. He has played 216 games for Manly, winning 134 for a 62 per cent win ratio.

He has played 10,545 minutes for Manly, running for 23,419 metres. Kite has also made 5024 tackles and 2852 runs.

For all his memories at Manly, not much could beat the historic 40-0 win over Melbourne in the 2008 grand final.

Kite was also named Clive Churchill Medal winner.

"History shows it doesn’t happen," Kite said.

"To be able to celebrate and have it sinking in for the last 20 minutes ... we were able to celebrate every extra try we scored.

"It was really special.

"Winning it (Churchill Medal) was the icing on the cake. I look at that game and think how many guys played close to their best."

Manly coach Geoff Toovey added: “It's Brent's last home game and everyone hopes it a memorable one.

"He has been a great asset to the club over many years."

Manly will also celebrate this Sunday the career of Joe Galuvao, who spent the past four years at Brookvale.

Manly's Jamie Buhrer (ribs) may play this Sunday although Brett Stewart (hamstring) and Anthony Watmough (knee) are likely to be back for week one of the finals.
-------------------------------------------
I'm shedding a few tears already :(
Hope Kitey bags one more Premiership ring in 2013 :angel:

Strong justification for a salary cap change that players who have played for the one club in their selected 25 players, should be granted gratis status after reaching seven years. That means that their salary should not be counted as part of the salary cap as a loyalty clause. If we had that, we could have held on to Menzies a year or two more and Kite for his final two years

I agree with Bearfax. These guys should be able to finish their careers at a club they have been at for a long time.

Bearfax said:
Strong justification for a salary cap change that players who have played for the one club in their selected 25 players, should be granted gratis status after reaching seven years. That means that their salary should not be counted as part of the salary cap as a loyalty clause. If we had that, we could have held on to Menzies a year or two more and Kite for his final two years

Agree also bearfax.

The NRL needs to bring back some loyalty for players and supporters to the game. Kite doesn't want to go and I dare say we didn't want to let him go either but for the salary cap.

We may want Tooves recognised more than he does but mark my words he will be recognised as we march towards a premiership.

While on regonnition,I think we are far to hard on Joey at times and may not or do not want to recognise his contribution.

Watch some training sessions,talk to the players about Joey and you will find him in the thick of things.

His involvment is not restricted to backs,and he is equally running and working with forwards on different plays that all are designed to the field position and timing as we plan to swing wide.

Observing little scrums and think tanks sessions between Killer,KF and DCE on the training paddock and then raising back over to the forwards to practice and coordinate thier first phase plays tells me that the team value his presence.

With the toughest half backs in history leading our team and one of the smartest half backs in history helping run us around with the two best current playmakers makes me think that we are looking good and just want to yell
GO MANLY,so I will
GO MANLY

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Ill-miss-Manly-fans-the-most-Kite/83734

Watch Kitey's interview, clean shaven and looking good :angel:

Masked Eagle said:
How about the headline of the telegraph article. Kite hasn't been a backrower for about 10 years!

Do you actually expect a telegraph journalist to have actually watched Manly play? How would they still be able to write **** about us if they knew how well we actually play?

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Tooveys-take-on-2013-finals/83788

For those that don't get the emails, Tooves take on the finals.
Great to see Toovey making himself available.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4