Tooves for NRL CEO?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would be happy with Shane Richardson ... he was successful at Cronulla, Penrith and Souths ... knows the game backwards and what it needs from juniors to the NRL ... People didn't want Arko or Qualye either ... but they were the men for the job .....

Biography

Shane Richardson is the longest serving executive in the NRL, and one of the most successful and influential figures in the competition. Currently CEO of the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Shane also serves on various NRL Committees including the Collective Bargaining, Salary Cap and Restructure Committee.

In 1993 Shane moved from Queensland to take up his first role in the National Rugby League with the Cronulla Sharks where he stayed for five years before accepting a position in the UK Super League with Hull FC, becoming the only Australian to ever be appointed to the English Super League Board.

Shane returned to Australia in 2002 as CEO at Penrith and was part of the team that took the Penrith Panthers to their 2003 premiership win, the second only in the history of the club, after they had won the wooden spoon in 2001.

In 2004 he accepted his current position with the Rabbitohs and has successfully implemented business plans to ensure the clubs stability and security. The Rabbitohs now have the most members of any club in the NRL and are the only Sydney club to make a profit. An engaging, well respected and extremely talented speaker, Shane speaks of his leadership within the NRL, and the challenges of heading up an elite level sporting organisation.
F#ck me Richo, last thing we need is an almost retired administrator to put his snout in the trough

If your looking down that path then Coyne would probably be your bet
Definitely...CEO of EML (Employers Mutual Limited) which is way larger than the NRL could ever be!!! Over 1300 employees, involved with mega dollar insurance works etc.
Plus has history as an NRL Commissioner before resigning due to the Singapore incident.

I would absolutely love this... but i doubt it will happen and if he would want the job altogether.
I suggested it in another thread, but really I was half joking. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love it, but anyone that has talked to Tooves for longer than ten minutes knows he wouldn’t be able to play the political, backstabbing, bullshiit game that comes with the job. He is his own man, and yeah, he might hold it together for the first cpla board meetings, then he’d end up knocking out the scumbags (I’m all for that), but unfortunately I feel the game has become so corrupt, that a man of principles and honesty such as Tooves could not survive.

Definitely...CEO of EML (Employers Mutual Limited) which is way larger than the NRL could ever be!!! Over 1300 employees, involved with mega dollar insurance works etc.
Plus has history as an NRL Commissioner before resigning due to the Singapore incident.
Great resume. But, I still have nightmares of him winning game one SOO ‘94.

I would be happy with Shane Richardson ... he was successful at Cronulla, Penrith and Souths ... knows the game backwards and what it needs from juniors to the NRL ... People didn't want Arko or Qualye either ... but they were the men for the job .....

Biography

Shane Richardson is the longest serving executive in the NRL, and one of the most successful and influential figures in the competition. Currently CEO of the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Shane also serves on various NRL Committees including the Collective Bargaining, Salary Cap and Restructure Committee.

In 1993 Shane moved from Queensland to take up his first role in the National Rugby League with the Cronulla Sharks where he stayed for five years before accepting a position in the UK Super League with Hull FC, becoming the only Australian to ever be appointed to the English Super League Board.

Shane returned to Australia in 2002 as CEO at Penrith and was part of the team that took the Penrith Panthers to their 2003 premiership win, the second only in the history of the club, after they had won the wooden spoon in 2001.

In 2004 he accepted his current position with the Rabbitohs and has successfully implemented business plans to ensure the clubs stability and security. The Rabbitohs now have the most members of any club in the NRL and are the only Sydney club to make a profit. An engaging, well respected and extremely talented speaker, Shane speaks of his leadership within the NRL, and the challenges of heading up an elite level sporting organisation.

From memory he had a fair track record with AGC finance early in his life, while overseeing easts in brisbane. He is a footy tragic first and foremost.was always very club centric, and always prepared to help. He has been at solid clubs and understands the lay of the land and the inequity which is the NRL.

There's Tony Mestrov, in charge of Greyhound Racing NSW , and played for us, chance if he wants the job

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing Tooves as the new NRL CEO ... I hope not actually. Personally I'd prefer whoever gets the job is someone with experience who doesn't have any affiliation to any of the clubs.

And that is nothing against Tooves at all, but the accusations of bias towards Manly would be thick and fast like they were when Arko was league boss (although truth be told, Arko was probably the fairest league boss I can remember. People just didn't like it because he came from and openly still supported Manly).

No, I honestly think that the NRL needs someone independent and not someone who previously ran or came from one of the clubs.

That's OK, we love them hating us, and we hate all of the rest as well, as for Richardson, a big no, he did SFA when he was there last time, it was a case of jobs for the boys, no wonder there's no money left in the kitty.

That is one view ... the other is that he did do the job he was commissioned to do ... he produced, from reports, a professional and extensive paper and recommendations .... however GreenTurd in his wisdom said thank you and ignored them ... and as for the money, if the NRL under GreenTurd were to offer stupid money .... only a fool wouldn't take it ... Richo is no fool ...

Probably better to just continue with a care taker C E O with some reasonable familiarity with the operation and general administration there and try to get it right and especially with the present unsettled situation. When names such as Gould and Bennett were mooted recently then Tooves would have seemed a more suitable alternative but when names like Mestrov are also possibly available , seems like an even more preferable type candidate then with extensive administrative experience . Have done very well to have V 'Landys . as a key official now , important opportunity to get someone else with proven ability there to compliment him . A big No to Richo , too much super league baggage and general baggage .

If they find a new CEO what are the chances that Abdo would leave. Unless you are an old timer filling in whilst a replacement is found, you would have to be a bit disgruntled at not getting the gig full time

Richo is an old-school league dinosaur, sure he knows the ropes and how to manoeuvre in club politics but I highly doubt that is what the NRL needs right now.
As for Coyne, when he resigned from the commission it was reported he didn't have the support of all the clubs even to remain as a commissioner. So hard to see how he could operate effectively as CEO, at least at this point in time.
Tooves strikes me as ideal for a spot on the board, but I agree with others who say he's not really a serious CEO chance.
See how the bloke goes who's acting in the job now. If he can avoid stuffing up in this dire emergency he's probably got the job!

Broken record here. Tony Mestrov. He used to play for Souths as well. That should settle the Russell Crowe hugfest part.

He's had a couple of CEO gigs already (NSW Hockey as well as NSW Greyhounds). He took over a little after the Greyhounds were all but decimated as a sport in NSW.

SMH quote:
"It was in the weeks and months after he dived into arguably the hardest gig in Australian sports administration, resuscitating an industry which was just about read the last rites."

Knows how do deal with a $h!T situation. Thank God we're not in a $h!T...... Oh wait. Hang on a sec.

Could also slap the betting companies back into line as him and V'landys have that insight into sports that are almost entirely reliant on betting. NRL has been chumming up to the betting companies under "THETURD". There's no need to go down that path.

Played in the UK. Was COO at the Titans as well. Can't accuse him of being partial to Manly. That said, the League seems to do better under leaders affiliated to the Sea Eagles in the past.

WE DON'T CARE.

V’landys has got a get-out clause in his other job. It would allow him to take over as NRL boss from November. Sounds good to me.

He said he has been a CEO for many years and doesn't want the job. Seems he would like to put his feet up for a spell after he sorts out this years comp. Unfortunately...he appears to be exactly what we need. Maybe he will call the shots from the sideline for a while. That's ok too.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6