Todd Greenberg signs new NRL rules for 2014

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
happily manly raises a good point re faked injury being used now to slow the game down. That a Leg cramp results in stopping play has always been my pet hate. If the player is not bleeding or obviously concussed play on I say.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
The pursuit of speed, speed, and more speed by the Powers That Be will lead to a very boring game in the end. High scores? Sure. A gripping and engaging contest? Not so much.

Spot on. The shallow thinking perceives fast as better entertainment. But football is meant to be a hard tough contest not all about speed. Touch footy is though.

Cliffy said:
happily manly raises a good point re faked injury being used now to slow the game down. That a Leg cramp results in stopping play has always been my pet hate. If the player is not bleeding or obviously concussed play on I say.

Spot on. Nothing in these changes addresses the big problem from 2013 which was players stopping the game with an 'injury' to get a replay and a penalty. I guess speeding the game up doesn't apply on the tough decisions admin have to make.

If a player is so badly hurt he can't get up to play the ball then surely he should be removed from the game and assessed by a doctor. After all, player welfare and safety is very important these days.

The new quick tap rule is going to cause a heap of grief.

The game should be a balance between attack and defence. It'll turn into NYC stuff. The defence has to get 13 players in position in order to be effective. The attacking side just needs one.

Stopping cannonball tackles is fine. There are enough injuries without allowing defenseless players to be targeted by cheap shots.

Will these changes in any way impact on SBW's NRL clearance to off load forward passes? Will the referee call held on SBW, or will they still as in 2013 have to wait until SBW lets them know he won't be offloading this time? Todd? Todd? Anyone?

http://www.nrl.com/clock-to-stop-under-rule-changes/tabid/10874/newsid/75996/default.aspx

Rule and interpretation changes for Telstra Premiership, Holden State of Origin, AAMI City-Country and Holden Cup:

So Anzac test match is what rules? NSW and QLD Cups are what rules?

http://www.nrl.com/clock-to-stop-under-rule-changes/tabid/10874/newsid/75996/default.aspx
35616_20_1.jpg

Rule changes announced by the NRL are designed to deliver more thrilling finishes in 2014.

Lol! They picked the one photo they shouldn't! It shows how little they understand. So an inch further and this is now worth 20m restart plus 7 tackles!

I can't see the need for the game to be 'sped' up. Why the hurry? AFL games go on for hours as do the American game. Why the NRL see the need to have the game go at speed is weird to me. I actually like a slow game so my opinions weren't heeded by Todd.

Most of what has been changed is rubbish and has TV in mind more than the fans. There should have been two changes only and neither has happened.

1. Captains Challenge to stop the incessant referee stuff ups.
2. The elimination of a kick for touch for penalties, except for foul play. Too often nit picking penalties back to back decide games.

The one rule I would have liked changed was cutting down on the interchange...but these rules may have the same impact. I'm all for speeding the game up. I want to get the little quick blokes back in the game without the constant worry of being belted into oblivion by a 120kg monster. I hope it will make for far more spontaneous play and less scope for coaches to structure boring plays.

Can there please be as rule to Stop Refs giving away quick repeat penalties to the opposition team to even the game up. How many times does this change the momentum and the games outcome..... What am I saying, unbiased adjudicator's would never do that!

Why not a captain's challenge for the video ref to see that it is OK?

Why not give a 2 minute warning and allow three timeouts to be called as well?

Why not allow players to wear metal helmets? We already allow forward passes so we should just go all the way with the NRL oops NFL.

Rusty Cage said:
Can there please be as rule to Stop Refs giving away quick repeat penalties to the opposition team to even the game up. How many times does this change the momentum and the games outcome..... What am I saying, unbiased adjudicator's would never do that!

It's call the Captains Challenge.

I think these rules are a step in the right direction, but don;t go far enough. The time clock should stop when the play stops, and when kicking for goal.
Critics will say that this will make the game too long. OK. Then shorten the 'actual' game to 60 minutes, but we'll see far more in the 60-minutes of actual play than the current way the 80-minutes is administered.

NRL risks becoming its own code

January 26, 2014
Steve Mascord
Rugby league columnist

While most of the rule changes announced by the NRL for the coming season are intelligent and helpful, the sport is becoming increasingly different to the one played elsewhere in the world.

In fact, the NRL must be close to being, technically, the third code of rugby. After all, now that rugby union is professional, the only things separating it from league are rules.

Click here to read the full article.

I see these rule changes as a smokescreen. On the surface they appear to speed up the game, and they will, but speeding the game will lead to more tries and points being scored. More tries equals more breaks in play and more opportunities for commercials

At the last TV deal , much was said of the need for more structured stoppages to increase revenue. These rule changes will do that. The game we grew up with is fading faster than a Myers docket

Captains will be given an opportunity to speak to the referees as players leave the field for half-time.

I hope they televise this with audio...as I reckon it'll be hilarious to see 2 captains try and get 40 mins of complaining to the 1 ref in the time the ref runs off.

Watch out Tooves. They might define that as criticism.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/too-late-for-new-laws-say-nrl-coaches/story-fnca0von-1226813359041

Coaches met at Rugby League Central in Sydney yesterday to be taken through the new rules and interpretations and most said the changes should have been announced earlier.

The rule changes were announced only last Sunday - two weeks before the first NRL trial games involving 12 clubs begin on February 7-9.

"Surely it's got to be a more timely, methodical and transparent process than it is," Manly coach Geoff Toovey said.

Summing up about the cannonball and third man tackling below the knees being a penalty.

The referees are supposed to be calling held earlier.

BUT if the referee doesn't call held in time, then the tackling team can get penalised if there is ANY contact below the knee from a 3rd man.

So if the referee is too slow to call held the same official can then penalise your team for a 3rd man tackle.

No wonder captains aren't allowed to talk to referees!

Brilliant NRL. Just brilliant.

If there are two men in the tackle but one is losing hold and is slipping down the ball carrier's body. Just as he is passing below the knees, but still has some hold, a 3rd player comes in at chest level to also tackle. Does this constitute a 3rd man below the knees tackle? Should it be a penalty?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4