Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Carney hasn’t played In the nrl for more than 2 years, and wasn’t the answer at his previous nrl clubs. I don’t understand why people think he will raise our team.

I won't go so far as to say he will raise the team significantly over what we currently have, other than giving us a quality goal kicker. But what he would do is give much needed experience depth in the halves. Outside of DCE, we have Croker, Hastings and probably Tom Wright....all of whom combine for a total of 44 NRL games.....of which Hastings has 43 - 21 of them starting on the bench. That just over 1⁄4 (25.7%) of Cherry's 171 games, and that's before you add his 11 tests and 6 Origins.

Carney would add 166 games of NRL experience (plus 1 test and 3 Origins) plus 46 games in the ESL. He also brings an NRL goal kicking strike rate of 78.32% (289 / 369). Interestingly though, according to rugbyleagueproject he only kicked 8 goals in his 2 years with Catalans and Salford in the Super League so he hasn't been a regular top line kicker since 2014 (the Sharks preferred Michael Gordon as kicker in 2015 - Carney didn't kick a goal in his 9 games that year before recycling his drink got him sacked).

Please note that I don't count either Dylan Walker, Api Koroisau or even Curtis Sironen as halves even though they have played some first grade there. At best they are injury stop gaps and best left at centre, hooker and back row respectively

Last edited:
Carney carves up teammates in scratch match
Samuel Davis, rugby league, The Cairns Post
March 1, 2018 1:00am
Subscriber only
Todd Carney has terrorised his new teammates behind closed gates at Barlow Park, with the star recruit dominating an in-house trial for the Northern Pride as the club ramps up for next week’s Intrust Super Cup home opener.

No cameras or reporters were allowed to attend the scratch match, which is believed to have lasted about 60 minutes on Tuesday night.

But left-centre Brett Anderson said the former Dally M medallist was in scintillating touch, running in two tries and showing elite kicking skills on a wet and humid evening.

“He looks very sharp,” the former North Queensland Cowboy said. “Toddy’s only going to get better each week as he gets to know his teammates too. I think he’ll be massive for us. He’s still a step above Q Cup, that’s for sure.

“If he can stay fit I’m sure he’ll be a handful all season long.”

0c4d057affc1352d6497ae07211ae1c5

FILE PHOTO: The Northern Pride’s Todd Carney playing in a preseason trial game against the Mackay Cutters at Townsville Sports Reserve earlier this month. Picture: Evan Morgan
Anderson, who retired from the Q Cup competition in 2015, reportedly showed his class with several hard runs and rugged defensive work.

“It felt good mate,” he said yesterday.

“It was a little bit slippery with the footy but I think we got something out of it.

“Jordie (Jordan Biondi-Odo) was good. There was some aggressive defence from Troy Kapea and big Will Bugden in tough conditions, which was good to see.”

After captaining the Pride to a premiership in 2014, Anderson said seeing the club return to its former glory had inspired him to return.

“That’s what the year’s about. I want to push for finals. It’s not about personal goals for me. It’s just about trying,” Anderson said.

“I enjoy working under (head coach) Ty (Williams). We’ve known each for a long time and he didn’t really have to twist my arm too much.

“I was pretty close to coming back last year, to be honest.”

Captain Ryan Ghietti missed the match with the flu.

Carney carves up teammates in scratch match
Samuel Davis, rugby league, The Cairns Post
March 1, 2018 1:00am
Subscriber only
Todd Carney has terrorised his new teammates behind closed gates at Barlow Park, with the star recruit dominating an in-house trial for the Northern Pride as the club ramps up for next week’s Intrust Super Cup home opener.

No cameras or reporters were allowed to attend the scratch match, which is believed to have lasted about 60 minutes on Tuesday night.

But left-centre Brett Anderson said the former Dally M medallist was in scintillating touch, running in two tries and showing elite kicking skills on a wet and humid evening.

“He looks very sharp,” the former North Queensland Cowboy said. “Toddy’s only going to get better each week as he gets to know his teammates too. I think he’ll be massive for us. He’s still a step above Q Cup, that’s for sure.

“If he can stay fit I’m sure he’ll be a handful all season long.”

0c4d057affc1352d6497ae07211ae1c5

FILE PHOTO: The Northern Pride’s Todd Carney playing in a preseason trial game against the Mackay Cutters at Townsville Sports Reserve earlier this month. Picture: Evan Morgan
Anderson, who retired from the Q Cup competition in 2015, reportedly showed his class with several hard runs and rugged defensive work.

“It felt good mate,” he said yesterday.

“It was a little bit slippery with the footy but I think we got something out of it.

“Jordie (Jordan Biondi-Odo) was good. There was some aggressive defence from Troy Kapea and big Will Bugden in tough conditions, which was good to see.”

After captaining the Pride to a premiership in 2014, Anderson said seeing the club return to its former glory had inspired him to return.

“That’s what the year’s about. I want to push for finals. It’s not about personal goals for me. It’s just about trying,” Anderson said.

“I enjoy working under (head coach) Ty (Williams). We’ve known each for a long time and he didn’t really have to twist my arm too much.

“I was pretty close to coming back last year, to be honest.”

Captain Ryan Ghietti missed the match with the flu.

CARNEY OFF RADAR
MANLY have abandoned plans to sign bad boy Todd Carney as a replacement for Blake Green. Coach Trent Barrett earmarked the ex-Raiders, Roosters and Sharks pivot as a potential recruit before the Sea Eagles board talked him out of it.

We’re hearing the NRL was reluctant to register his contract, anyway. I can understand the decision not to register Carney but there are obviously different rules for different players. Matt Lodge is the perfect example. He has shown no remorse over his disgusting and violent behaviour in the US yet will run out for the Broncos next weekend.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/38933c39bf804f244ed78b79de4e33aa

CARNEY OFF RADAR
MANLY have abandoned plans to sign bad boy Todd Carney as a replacement for Blake Green. Coach Trent Barrett earmarked the ex-Raiders, Roosters and Sharks pivot as a potential recruit before the Sea Eagles board talked him out of it.

We’re hearing the NRL was reluctant to register his contract, anyway. I can understand the decision not to register Carney but there are obviously different rules for different players. Matt Lodge is the perfect example. He has shown no remorse over his disgusting and violent behaviour in the US yet will run out for the Broncos next weekend.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/38933c39bf804f244ed78b79de4e33aa
That's unfortunate. If Trent Barrett wants him the board should support him..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8