Today's Herald re Monaghan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man

BULLDOGS and Queensland Origin star Nate Myles has delayed a decision on his future after Wests Tigers and South Sydney yesterday joined the race for his signature.

And another player who took part in this year's Origin series - Rooster Brett Finch - is set to join Parramatta next season.

Both Tigers and Rabbitohs officials yesterday joined the clamour of clubs chasing Myles by expressing an 11th-hour interest. The Roosters are still favoured to snare the 21-year-old, and he may sign with the club as early as today.

Myles was due to make a decision yesterday but has delayed it while he mulls over the new interest. He met two NRL coaches yesterday, including Roosters mentor Ricky Stuart. "There's just too many things he's got to think about," manager Gavin Orr said last night after spending most of the afternoon with his client. "He won't be rushing anything."

Tigers football manager Warren McDonnell confirmed the club had expressed an interest in signing the second-rower yesterday. "Any club would have a bit of interest in a State of Origin forward," he said. "He's about the only one out there [off contract]."

It is understood the Rabbitohs have also shown belated interest, but chief executive Shane Richardson said: "No comment."

Orr, however, confirmed the Roosters were Myles's preference for a Sydney club, while of the out-of-town teams, North Queensland, who tabled an offer yesterday, have leapfrogged Melbourne.

"If he wants to stay in Sydney, he's leaning towards the Roosters," Orr said. "Outside of that, he's seriously considering North Queensland, followed closely by Melbourne."

Finch has a year left on his contract with the Roosters, but it is understood the Roosters would not stand in the way of his leaving. There does not appear to be a long-term future for Finch at the Roosters, with young halfback Josh Lewis coming through and Craig Wing at hooker.

The Eels, having missed out on Melbourne's Scott Hill, who will play out his career in England, desperately need a five-eighth and see Finch - with his utility value - as capable of filling that role.

The switch would only come off if Parramatta were prepared to at least match the money Finch is on for next year, but it is anticipated that will happen.

Referees boss Robert Finch yesterday backed his officials to continue their tough stance on abuse from players after Newcastle winger Anthony Quinn and captain Andrew Johns both swore at officials last Sunday.

"What happens in the NRL is mirrored across club games and country games," Finch said. "Week-in, week-out, I've said to referees and touch judges, they just can't put up with it. The course of action was correct. No doubt Joey was emotive about it, but maybe it was better directed at the player rather than the referee."

Finch's comments came as the NRL announced its intention to release weekly reports on contentious refereeing decisions to "provide greater transparency and accountability".

The first report yesterday admitted video referee Bill Harrigan's decision to award a Brent Sherwin try last Friday night despite obstruction from Mark O'Meley against the Dragons was incorrect. However, it defended other controversial decisions from the weekend, including Rooster Chris Flannery's grounding against Cronulla.

Finch also said he was happy to again debate the stripping rule with coaches after renewed criticism over the weekend. "We looked at this at the start of the year," said Finch. "I reckon it's been looked at more than any rule in the game. I'm quite happy to look at it again, but all 15 coaches were happy to leave it where it was."

In other NRL news, Manly's Michael Monaghan said yesterday he was likely to stay at the club next season despite being offered a release. "I'm at Manly," Monaghan said. "I'm signed here. I'd imagine that's where I'm going to be."

The Bulldogs have been awarded their first home Friday night game since their clash with Wests Tigers in round two, which was marred by crowd violence at Telstra Stadium.

Centre Clinton Toopi was yesterday released from the Warriors and will join English Super League club Leeds. And second-rower Awen Guttenbeil has signed a two-year deal with Castleford.

Canberra have lost another outside back in the wake of fullback Clinton Schifcofske's defection to rugby, with winger Nathan Smith agreeing to a two-year deal with Penrith. The Knights have hired former Roosters, Balmain and Parramatta player Trent Robinson, currently head coach of French club Toulouse Olympique, as Premier League coach for next season.

It would be great to see Manly in the market still...but as many people have said, we may be spent up to cap?

cant see how we are up towards the cap, just say for arguments sake BK is straight money swap for Lyon, plus even a little extra . the cap still went up half a million and and we look like offloading some deadwood.

Getting rid of Witt would help. That should be 100k or whatever to be used.

I know from memory that Orford is getting paid $200k more than he was this year.

Waaaaaaaaa....why can't "I" get paid what the ox does !!!

Hmmm...your probably right...and the money we were banderring around for Creagh was pretty scary.

Maybe front loading again?

One would think we'd HAVE to get another big name player...

in my opinion only...all leading to Jon Wilkin.

haha...........

I can't tell you this big name players name, but remember when he's signed you heard it here first.

Pure gold :)

:lol:

It sure beats throwing darts at pictures on a dart board like our friend Sherlock!

Could it be a surrently signed player that may be released to Nate Myles signs with that club??

Not Sims

i heard fitzgibbon despite having just re-signed may be released if the Roosters sign Myles

Then there is that Steve Southern rumour

not happy with either of those. never gonna be happy with who replaces BK though.

1. Mata's got nothin' ;)
2. Southern has dropped off, but is a good player.
3. BK is almost irreplaceable
4. Harrison to have a major falling out at the Rorters and head to the Nthn Beaches

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4