to all Manly fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
How about a little less howling and recriminations, and a little more support for fixing the club's problems.

As a recent troll pointed out, our history includes plenty of glory that resulted directly from clever administration and 'getting our man'. On this occasion we have been soundly outflanked, and the club has to move forward in its thinking and organisation to ensure we quickly get back to a position of strength.

In other words, focussing on blaming the departees is missing the point.

If Des had stepped aside at the end of 2012 and handed over the reins to Tooves would there be so much bile directed at him.

Fair enough many view it as a defection but in reality people change jobs all the time.

If Des has built a solid support team why should he be forbidden from taking some of them with him. The fact that those going are loyal to him says a lot about his character.

If Tooves had success as a coach with a team built by Des would it not lead to talk that it was relly Des who had set up his coaching career.

I would think that Geoff would prefer to be his own man and build his own support team rather than ride on Des's coat tails.

The hysteria is crazy. Most people aren't puppets to be controlled by one person. Each person leaving has had their reasons and negotiated with the club. Des said he is going - some followed. Big deal. Still will go as one of the greatest ever Manly coaches. Ron Willey coached elsewhere, so did Frank Stanton and even the great Bonzo was with the Roosters for a while. Toovey will have a year to grow into the position. Get over yourselves!!!

Utility Player said:
If Des had stepped aside at the end of 2012 and handed over the reins to Tooves would there be so much bile directed at him.

Fair enough many view it as a defection but in reality people change jobs all the time.

If Des has built a solid support team why should he be forbidden from taking some of them with him. The fact that those going are loyal to him says a lot about his character.

If Tooves had success as a coach with a team built by Des would it not lead to talk that it was relly Des who had set up his coaching career.

I would think that Geoff would prefer to be his own man and build his own support team rather than ride on Des's coat tails.
If Des, at the end of the 2012 season made the announcement that he was leaving the FOLLOWING season, then no, there wouldn't be as much bile directed towards him.

The reality is though that he has announced this 18 months before the start of that season, and is taking a heap of his support staff with him. That might be loyalty, but where is the loyalty to the club that gave a lot of these guys their starts? Apart from Cleal, have any of the others done anything before being with Manly?

No other competition in the world would accept this - imagine if Sir Alex Ferguson announced tomorrow that, come next season, he was leaving Man Utd and signing with Chelsea - he would be gone immediately.

Or if you look at it another way he is giving the club 18 months notice to plan for his departure.

Tooves gets more time to be bedded in as the head coach and gather a support team around him.

I would think it was Des rather than Manly that gave the support team members a start

He can take his support staff with him that's fine. But we can't let him try to take our gun players with him.

After all he's after a new challenge isn't he? Not much of a challenge if you take key players with you.

Less chance of poaching players if we show him the door now, rather then he having access to them during next season.

Thanx Des and goodbye.

Again it is a players choice to leave

If Foran or any other player leaves it is by their choice not because Des "made" them.

God i am sick of people painting Des as some kind of svengali figure who is manipulating a mass walk out

maybe, just maybe some of the reasons why Des is leaving (be it frustration at the board or $) are shared by others?

Until a player leaves and says something like "I am signing with the Bulldogs because Des asked me to" I am prepared to give Des the benefit of the doubt.

All the paper talk about players leaving is just speculation.

Unfortunately for Des - it may be time to make the call himself. Is he underhandedly poaching Manly players - I seriously doubt it. Will he later in the season when his Dogs role comes closer - i'd like to think no.
The point remains this is very messy atm with the only definate thing - Des is gone for 2013 & maybe 2012 which WILL open doors for the players to follow..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4