Thurston vs DCE

• Thread starter Deleted member 24974
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 24974

Can an aging Jonathon Thurston at the age of 33 with an extremely average performance in winnings his first Grand final compete with the 26 year old DCE who won his first grand final at 22 years of age?

Are you serious.

Thurston is the best player in the game. DCE would be lucky to be in the top 10 halves in the NRL based on 2015 form.
I'm serious!
Thurston is an aging player and is past his best like Watmough.He almost lost the grand final for NQC.
Are you seriously suggesting a player who did not win one premiership till the age of 32 is better the DCE who won a premiership at the age of 22 and has the potential to win many more.
Please think for yourself, watch the actual game, look at real stats and not let the media persuade the way you think. The media is biased towards larger markets that give the larger advertising revenue.
Thurston career win percentage = 55%
DCE career win percentage = 67%
Please prove me wrong with some real statistics.
I rest my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dce in his life time playing nrl will not be like thurston I'm afraid.Even andrew johns occasionally had quiet games JT rarely has quiet games.Dce would have to 90% take controll of games to ever be like JT.

Dce in his life time playing nrl will not be like thurston I'm afraid.Even andrew johns occasionally had quiet games JT rarely has quiet games.Dce would have to 90% take controll of games to ever be like JT.

You're kidding!
Thurston has a 55% win record compared to DCE 's 67%.
DCE been the dominant half in the NRL for the last 5 years.
When Manly get a decent forward pack you will see the best of DCE again.
Please back up your claim with some actual statistics.

I'm serious!
Thurston is an aging player and is past his best like Watmough.He almost lost the grand final for NQC.
Are you seriously suggesting a player who did not win one premiership till the age of 32 is better the DCE who won a premiership at the age of 22 and has the potential to win many more.
Please think for yourself, watch the actual game, look at real stats and not let the media persuade the way you think. The media is biased towards larger markets that give the larger advertising revenue.
Thurston career win percentage = 55%
DCE career win percentage = 67%
Please prove me wrong with some real statistics.
I rest my case.
You're either playing devils advocate, have a poor sense of humour, or you're a moron.

To argue that the age of a player winning a premiership has anything to do with ability is about as short sighted as Parramatta's approach to running an NRL club.

Apart from the fact that one player just won the player of the year (for the 4th time) as a failey compelling "statistic" the big difference for mind is jt's ability to close out games. When hunt dropped that ball we all knew he would get the game winning field goal....compared to dce where many on here have commented on his inability to close out games. Now this may change with no Foran but for me it is the area where Thurston has him well covered

Also what age was Thurston when he won his first gf with the dogs?

Put dce with the Cowboys forward pack , instant success. On his day no half comes close to dce including thurston but thurston has more consistency and dce has been playing busted .In saying that I'd be happy if dce can be 80% of the player of thurston over his whole career and playing behind a good strong pack more comps are coming.

Thurston is the best player in the game but he's not as good as they hype that follows him in my view.

DCE is a fair way behind, but he is probably in a similar place to where Thurston was at his age.

If DCE turns out to be anywhere near as good as Thurston I'll be thrilled.

DCE is a very good player and by no means the finished product yet. He has to learn to finish games and take the right options in the clutch plays. That is where JT is the master.

You're kidding!
Thurston has a 55% win record compared to DCE 's 67%.
DCE been the dominant half in the NRL for the last 5 years.
When Manly get a decent forward pack you will see the best of DCE again.
Please back up your claim with some actual statistics.
Hahahahaha which part the 90% stat.How about you watch thurstons games & you'll see what i mean.

I'm gobsmacked that this thread even exists...it's hilarious. DCE is so far behind Thurston that it's laughable.

Thurston is the best player in the game but he's not as good as they hype that follows him in my view.

DCE is a fair way behind, but he is probably in a similar place to where Thurston was at his age.

If DCE turns out to be anywhere near as good as Thurston I'll be thrilled.
Thurston won the first of 4 Dally M medals in 2005 at the age of 22. He was a permanent fixture in the QLD SOO side at 22. He had 3 Dally M medals by the time he reached 26 (the age of DCE).

We are comparing a guy with one breakout season and a strong finals series a couple of years later, to one of the most decorated players to ever play the game.

Two different halves one more structured with the other more ad lib. Thurston did win a grand final off the bench with the Dogs so this makes it his second. Both great in their own way. I am of the belief your forwards lay the platform giving your halves and outside backs room to move. Manly lacked the forward power this season whilst the Cowboys forwards had some punch for the first time in a while.

DCEs playing style is more like that of Johns (we know why) but you can't compare the two (DCE and Thurston) until both their playing careers are over then we see.

You bag the forwards then bag the half

You can't bag both that's idiotic

Our pack didn't lay any platform and we barely missed the finals

Or 5/8 was garbage and DCE was injured
Pfffft - DCE at the moment is nowhere near JT.. Give him 4 or 5 years...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4