Thurston vs DCE in Defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Imo Thurston is the #1 half in the world & close to the best player, however because of his brilliant attack people tend to forgive huge stats of missed tackles & this is consistently. DCE again showed his confidence & attack are growing but this has overshadowed another great asset - his defence.

Check out the w/ends stats

Thurston 79 metres - 1 line break & 2 try assists
DCE 77 metres - 1 line break & 2 try assists

More importantly
Thurston 10 tackles - 5 Missed tackles
DCE 25 tackles - 0 Misses

These stats show another bow to DCE's game & come seasons end in the tight games as brilliant as Thurston is- I feel pretty good about what DCE brings to our team & this shows his attitude is turned on.

Teams send a lot of traffic turtles way, they perceive is defence as weak and target him consistently he falls off the odd tackle but gets good cover from Jamie Lyon who helps him out.

Thurston usually has great defence in particular it is his tenacity and never say die attitude which makes him so good

cant fault Thurstons desire to tackle, but his shoulders let him down, he physically cant do a lot of the work.

DCE manages to slow the player down long enough for help which is a great asset for the smaller man.

You dont need to put the big hits on has the half, jsut cover your patch of turf. He does this.

Fact is the weekly stats will show DCE makes more tackles than most halves with less misses - the only reason for showing Thurstons vs DCE is to show DCE is not just a 1 trick pony like many halves in attack & in the Seaeagles style of game - maybe the ideal fit for the team. For me the defensive stats in big games are more important than anything else.

The missed stat tackle is one of the most missused stats in the game as is tackles made. They don't distinguish between poor reads where a player mightn't even get a finger on them or falling off a tackle when it didn't really matter. Likewise with tackles made, doesn't distinguish if your the third man in (the Hindy) or if you get carried along for the ride for 10m and they score the next play primarily because you couldn't dominate the tackle.

Choc & Matai both had high missed tackle stats in our premiership year but next to thought was given to how often they changed the flow of the opposition attack or even saved tries with their style, people just pointed to the missed tackle column but the amount of tries scored because of that was next to nil.

On DCE v Thurston defensively. Not much between them really, DCE mightn't fall off that many but he wouldn't make as many important/try saving tackles as JT would either. Most halves are really speed bumps and need help. Hodkinson isn't though, he's the best defender for a no 7 I've seen since toovs. He just doesn't make tackles he makes one on one dominant tackles against guys in full flight.

Masked Eagle said:
The missed stat tackle is one of the most missused stats in the game as is tackles made. They don't distinguish between poor reads where a player mightn't even get a finger on them or falling off a tackle when it didn't really matter. Likewise with tackles made, doesn't distinguish if your the third man in (the Hindy) or if you get carried along for the ride for 10m and they score the next play primarily because you couldn't dominate the tackle.

Choc & Matai both had high missed tackle stats in our premiership year but next to thought was given to how often they changed the flow of the opposition attack or even saved tries with their style, people just pointed to the missed tackle column but the amount of tries scored because of that was next to nil.

On DCE v Thurston defensively. Not much between them really, DCE mightn't fall off that many but he wouldn't make as many important/try saving tackles as JT would either. Most halves are really speed bumps and need help. Hodkinson isn't though, he's the best defender for a no 7 I've seen since toovs. He just doesn't make tackles he makes one on one dominant tackles against guys in full flight.
Agree with a couple of things ME like the important cover defending ect-that comes with the fact Thurston reads the play better & can predict a defensive lapse. Always gunna cause conjecture when i use the great Thurstons name - could have used Lockyer also, i certainly seem to see way more misses with the protected species than most media & commentators. Anyway the main point was how good DCE has been defensively & like or dislike stats 25 tackles no misses is pretty good. Btw the missed tackle stat may not matter in open games with 40-26 scorelines but come tight low scoring finals games its the difference between winning & losing.

Brookvale said:
thurston is tenatious on and off the field.

Yes great player - dont know him off the field - rather than praising Thurstons credability the topic was based on DCE & his strong defensive ability.

At least some of you understood humour :)

And its never too early Marcus, its 2 degrees here so that might be just the ticket to warm up :)

To the Nostrodamus' out there. Will DCE play origin for QLD?

Given his main competition in say 5 years time will be Sandow

I say yes!

I have noticed that his defense has improved each week, he seems to be working well with Stewart and Lyon.

Brookvale said:
To the Nostrodamus' out there. Will DCE play origin for QLD?

Given his main competition in say 5 years time will be Sandow

I say yes!

Cronk is still pretty young isn't he, so I think he would sit behind him. But if no other superstar comes up I would say he would certainly be in contention

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6