Throw it in the bin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
I don't think it is even worth Des having a video session on that one

Was a strange game, EVERY single bounce of the ball went the Roosters was, no matter what it was, it fell for them perfectly. The majority of their points were scored through luck (albiet from poor play on our part, like the 2 Menzies drops, or the chargedown) but more often than not they won't be scored.

Are a few things to work on and stuff in the memory bank, but not worth slitting the wrists over, just one of those days

To the players, not a lot to write home about really

Hall, Perry, Matai, Kite, Robertson and L'Estrange all had games they can be happy with

Stewart, Ballin and Williams all had mixtures

Beaver and Bell were dreadful, probably Bell's worst day in a Manly shirt, both attack and defence was awful

Bring on the Pamfez on Friday

Kiwi, the up and in defensive structure was exposed today.  Long passing and speed out wide had us done.  Williams can't adjust and other teams must have been watching.  if a brain dead coach like Fittler can work it out then they all can.  I smell trouble without Lyon to close attacks down.

The structure was only exposed, because our 2 edge defenders, Stewart and Watmough, were not there

Teams have been trying that against us with little effect for the past 2 seasons. Williams is just a casualty of what happens inside him

Kiwi Eagle link said:

Was a strange game, EVERY single bounce of the ball went the Roosters was, no matter what it was, it fell for them perfectly. The majority of their points were scored through luck (albiet from poor play on our part, like the 2 Menzies drops, or the chargedown) but more often than not they won't be scored.

Are a few things to work on and stuff in the memory bank, but not worth slitting the wrists over, just one of those days

Hall, Perry, Matai, Kite, Robertson and L'Estrange all had games they can be happy with

Beaver and Bell were dreadful, probably Bell's worst day in a Manly shirt, both attack and defence was awful

No way I'd go through it twice just to highlight how unacceptable that level of discipline is, those penalties they where giving late in the tackle count where unacceptable, I'd be highlighting to the replacements what level is expected from them, can't help the bounce of the ball but you can help poor discipline and the lack of ability to build any pressure what so ever on the roosters.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=177985.msg191208#msg191208 date=1217141946]

No way I'd go through it twice just to highlight how unacceptable that level of discipline is, those penalties they where giving late in the tackle count where unacceptable, I'd be highlighting to the replacements what level is expected from them, can't help the bounce of the ball but you can help poor discipline and the lack of ability to build any pressure what so ever on the roosters.
[/quote]disagree on the discpline i think we copped a whistle happy ref
23 penaltys for the game
and we won the count 13-10

I agree Kiwi. I was ripping my hair our listening to the radio, it sounded like every loose ball would magically fall into their arms.
Although the penalties were pretty even, they got all the piggybacks - a few on the 5th tackle murdered us.

In reality we were missing Williamson, Lyon, King, Stewart and Watmough who are all usual starters for us.

I disagree, they cleared the ruck quickly and ran around us. Too many times I've seen guys run around Williams.  I like the bloke and I'm sure that with coaching he could adjust when required.  It's just I've not seen him do it yet.  Bell didn't help today.  I'll be glad to see him of to ESL.  He just doesn't seem to want to pass the ball or run a direct line.  We seemed very slow today.  At one stage Robbo made a break and he had to run across the width of the field waiting for someone to catch up.  Disgraceful.  I watched the game from up high and there was plenty of space out wide for them to exploit. 

Some of the penalties were garbage though, such as Ballin standing up straight getting down for it, or Cuthbertson trying to knock the ball back, and being penalised for it. The consistency in the ruck was pretty poor too

DSM, sure they got around us a few times, but lets look at their tries and if any were a direct result of it

The 1st was off a charge down
Roberts scored 2 off Menzies drops and sprinted away
The last try was off a kick off the back of obstrcution
Another was from Bell rushing out and them bursting the hole inside him

So that is 5/6 of their tries, and 0 as a result of them getting around us. They made some metres off trying it, but the end results came fromother errors

Robson should never pull on a Manly jersey again. If Orford injures himself for any amount of games and we have to rely on Robson that'll be our season. There's a reason why he hadn't been seen in first grade for 4 years.

Don't know why Afamasaga got the nod ahead of Wells, or Moorewood ahead of Mauro. The latter in each are much better lateral defenders and can play longer minutes.

And Kiwi, the 'Another was from Bell rushing out and them bursting the hole inside him' try was more from Robson being joined at the hip with Kite in the defensive line. If he'd been half a metre wider where he should have been he would've met Soliola front on and had a much better chance of tackling him.

I agree with your comments on how they scored their tries but to get into the position to exploit they simply ran around us.  They seemed camped in our half for most of the first twenty minutes and they got there with wide rushes.  From my high vantage point you could see them line up and outnumber us and just go there.  It was simple really.  Field position and then wait for something to happen, and it did.  Frankly we were lucky it was only 32.   

Has to be one of Brett Stewarts worst performances... he wasnt overly bad but ive never seen him play so poorly. A couple of mistakes.. a few missed one on ones..

Bell was ****. Robson is a joke. Williams has been exposed in defence recently and teams just run at him. Maybe time for Bani to return.

As i said mate, i think when our regular edge defenders get back, we will be far better placed to combat that

We were due a loss and I think once Choc and Glenn dropped out our players were always going to be on the backfoot.  Down 18-0 after some rotten bounces they were never going to give 100% particularly when they have a 5 day turnaround.

I'm told Choc and Glenn would have played if we had a 7-9 day recover period but were kept in cotton wool to make sure they're on deck with Panfers.  If that was the mentality thru the week you can understand why the intensity was lacking.

The ref was poo today. Roosters were off side all day and they were allowed to lay all over us in the ruck. He blew the pea out of the whistle today, some of them were laughable (Anasta late hit, Cuthbo on their line off the bomb is another one I have no idea what is was for)

What happened when Mason made that break, was it a forward pass or a shepherd ? Everyone on the field stopped including the Roosters guys, Mason and the ref were the only ones to play on. Obviously they scored next tackle so he couldn't go back and check the replay. They didn't show a replay at the ground so have no idea what happened.

Manly were just flat today and the Roosters had all the luck and the run of the penalties at crucial times. Having said that we dropped a lot of ball and lacked intensity in defence. Just a bad game. Kite and Perry put in it seemed, watching it live, maybe also Ballin. One to forget.

It was an old fashioned shepherd mate

It was so blatant Gus reckoned that Mason made sure he was tackled so the video ref couldn't intervene

Apparently Robinson put the whistle to his mouth about to blow it then played on, hence why Ox charged up to him and ripped in

Those level with it at the ground said it was no forward pass when we scored.

We did not have our two edge workhorses and defensively we were mixed up. Criticism of Williams is unfair. He made a few bad reads and was caught out but that is not why we lost!!

CW, It's not the reason why we lost but the fact remains is he is constantly caught out of position.  I worry about that especially with the Storm players out wide and Slater running out there.  It's a worry and I hope Des has a word.  We were just flat today and it showed.

Would there be any games in the last season and 3/4 that Choc and Stewy 2 played where they did not finish in the top 3 in metres and tackles. I think you could count them on 1 hand.

It was just 2 big of an adjustment to make at short notice.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6