Thoughts from Cowboys match

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This isn’t meant to be a slight on Turbo - he’s clearly a gun and I can’t wait to see him back on the field - but in 22 we have actually played better without him than with him imo.

I think you've hit the nail on the head so to speak. In a sense its been good for Manly to be without Turbo for a while because the team was tending to rely on his magic too much and looked like directionless drones when he wasn't there. Without his magic, Manly had lacked options and have had to adapt and learn how to win without him. That raises the level of performances of certain players who needed to move to the next level. Unless injury again knocks the team about, I can see Manly being a significant threat to the crown next year.

Manly were going O K without Turbo at the latter stages of 2019 with Brendon Elliot at the back and just a bit more consistency for some reason . Would contend however that Garrick is definitely offering more at the back then Brendon [ even though he was quite reliable ] , koula a good replacement for Suli , Alioia almost matching A F B "s solid input and a strike forward in Haumole now . Turbo had been having a pretty indifferent season this year even before his sad injury ending injury . Good against the Raiders and a couple of other matches and was going well against the Eels but still below his best in other games he played . Not sure it is the case of players lifting or having to lift without Turbo or overly depending on him . Totally influential player but with out Turbo , side should be able to make the adjustments from the word go ,

Speaking of Brendon [ Elliot ] Wonder how he felt returning to Four Pines [ brookie ] the other night and the circumstances . No doubt has a very professional outlook but still must have been a bit bemused not only returning with an opposition side but then just being a sub , then actually taking the field .[ think that he did briefly ] Anyway good on him after his very serious injury previously in the N R L , able to resurrect his career overseas and making it again in the N R L

Even if we make it to 8th spot it will be a disappointing season.
I’m absolutely gutted with this season. I had such an excitement coming into the year, it seemed we were building into something of a powerhouse and real threat. Last season was just a perfect storm with a rule shift that changed the game quite drastically and largely suited the skill set of Turbo. The shift in the game has settled back closer to previous norms and injury has decimated us yet again.

Good signs from the match for sure from Croker and our ability to compete against top teams but bad because our 2023 halves have a seriously long way to go to not hinder the team under pressure. Also bad because it highlights that there's little understanding from the club about the actual value players add on field.

Maybe Des will have to take the Queensland approach and keep the ball out of DCEs hands when a kick isn't required because unless they revolutionise how they coach the halves I dont see us winning big games.

Last edited:
Manly were going O K without Turbo at the latter stages of 2019 with Brendon Elliot at the back and just a bit more consistency for some reason . Would contend however that Garrick is definitely offering more at the back then Brendon [ even though he was quite reliable ] , koula a good replacement for Suli , Alioia almost matching A F B "s solid input and a strike forward in Haumole now . Turbo had been having a pretty indifferent season this year even before his sad injury ending injury . Good against the Raiders and a couple of other matches and was going well against the Eels but still below his best in other games he played . Not sure it is the case of players lifting or having to lift without Turbo or overly depending on him . Totally influential player but with out Turbo , side should be able to make the adjustments from the word go ,
Yeah agree. I’ve said a number if times that in 2019 the refs sending Jake T off against souths possibly cost us a shot at a GF. We were on fire in that finals series and had beaten the raiders twice before that season. Raiders only got beaten by the roosters as well due to a bad call
From the ref. Roosters were lucky to beat manly in 2013 and raiders in 2019. Refs got them home in both those games. 2018 they won fair and square

I’m absolutely gutted with this season. I had such an excitement coming into the year, it seemed we were building into something of a powerhouse and real threat. Last season was just a perfect storm with a rule shift that changed the game quite drastically and largely suited the skill set of Turbo. The shift in the game has settled back closer to previous norms and injury has decimated us yet again.
No excuses feathered friend

When you factor in the calibre of players that we have and the one time premiership winning coach

It all amounts to grossly underperforming that we have not beaten a top 8 team all season
and we are out of the top 8 with a minus 4 differential .

We are on minus for Gods sake !

And We are talking about the Manly club and the Greatest club of all !!!

240948987_10226342376526581_7626396401424013754_n.jpg

I was out and recorded it but just can't bring myself to even watch the first 70 minutes knowing what transpired in the last 10.

I'm not in the habit of bagging DCE but you'd think icing a game would be something that a veteran captain and halfback would take on. Sometimes he just frustrates the crap out of me. If anyone can explain why he felt the need to crab across field and get caught as he tried to pass, I'd love to hear it. We were in front. We didn't need to score. All we needed were repeat sets and yet....brain snap.
Your 100% correct, it smelt of not handling the pressure and momentum Cows had gained, even after winning back cheap possession, unable to keep a cool head.
I think in that situation in SOO for example, DCE would have just passed early and kind of sat back letting Munster do his thing and some big fowards roll towards the try line to run clock and win field position....at Manly I reckon he tries to hard thinking he has to do too much with the world on his shoulders and he feels he must almost make the side win, rather than the team winning.
In fact, if he watched the past 2 weeks and took notice of that first 70 minutes 'The Team" is very capable and DCE needs to chill a bit and just get them direct and create more space for the likes of Oka and Koula and both he and the team will benefit.

That's what's frustrating - Manly played very well for most part.
75 minutes to compete with "most" teams
Then 5 minutes which was utterly disgraceful and park footy standards
The obvious floor was our inability to compete for the bomb often under the posts. No one's looking and showing any urgency.

This game was a reminder to me just how good these guys can be. More like the team of last season. Unbelievably frustrating this year though with the brain explosions from many of our players and f’king dud calls from the officials. In my humble opinion, Turbo wasn’t in form at all this year & we have been better without him. In saying that, I believe in him (and Jurbo) to regain that awesome ability again.
Is there time this year to turn it around?
Yes...but we need the breaks to go our way more than ever before

So you’re assessment of both is that they’re average? Wow ok…..10 odd games into their careers & that’s your thoughts. So to you they’re both bottom of the barrel compared to other teams Lolol.
We haven't bought a decent centre for years. forwards forwards and more forwards. Look where all the tries are scored, even before these guys. We lack and have lacked quality centres for years.

We haven't bought a decent centre for years. forwards forwards and more forwards. Look where all the tries are scored, even before these guys. We lack and have lacked quality centres for years.
Koula is a quality Center.......Tui can be! There's a reason a number of clubs were queuing for both these guys signatures! Luckily Manly triumphed & both are playing well in 1st Grade. How can you expect them to shine when they're mostly tackling & hitting the ball up? Once the team gels & is mentally stable we will reap the rewards mate. Give them a chance......

The obvious floor was our inability to compete for the bomb often under the posts. No one's looking and showing any urgency.
Off that bomb, the Cows certainly competed harder and wanted that ball more and once it was taken by a Cowboys player, you would expect 3 Manly players shutting him down immediately, but not the case and worse still, their support players arrived on the scene before the Manly defenders.
If there was a script on "how" to lose a game that was in the bag....the Manly players wrote it perfectly in that game....

Koula is a quality Center.......Tui can be! There's a reason a number of clubs were queuing for both these guys signatures! Luckily Manly triumphed & both are playing well in 1st Grade. How can you expect them to shine when they're mostly tackling & hitting the ball up? Once the team gels & is mentally stable we will reap the rewards mate. Give them a chance......
And they were queuing up for back up centres..... They may be good, but in the short term and more over the last few years, we have NO quality centres that will take us to the next level. Poor centres and average defending wingers, many tries against us. Where did the last 3 tries go thru us on the weekend. Not the first time

Last edited:
And they were queuing up for back up centres..... They may be good, but in the short term and more over the last few years, we have NO quality centres that will take us to the next level. Poor centres and average defending wingers, many tries against us. Where did the last 3 tries go thru us on the weekend. Not the first time
Ok whatever mate….let’s agree to disagree lol

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4