Thoughts – it’s still early days

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bradza

Bencher
Tipping Member
It was a weird feeling watching the match on Saturday. I was pleased that we came back from 0–10 down and happy with the desperately needed 2 points but for much of the first half, in particular, I was really annoyed with our play.

It seemed that both the players and the crowd were more relieved than happy at the end of the match.

Despite the problems with both attack and defence that have been highlighted and dissected on the forum I still think that this season holds a lot more promise than last season (albeit in hindsight).

At round 5 in 2005 we were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves at the top of the ladder. The team was playing to its limited capability and getting results. As the season wore on we struggled and everyone knows how it ended up.

Funnily enough, both Canberra and Brisbane (the other early frontrunners) also nosedived in the second half of 2005. St George, Parra and Wests were all patchy in the initial stages last year and then finished strongly.

Comps aren’t won (& finalists aren’t confirmed) in March/April. Newcastle are in awesome form at the moment but it will be extremely hard for them to maintain that high standard. If they do, they will win the comp by a mile and good luck to them. Nth Qld are also travelling well but a run with injuries to key personnel or the impact of the rep season could take the steam out of both of these teams.

At the moment I would rather Manly be gradually improving than have them already peaking to their ability. If they flatline at the current form level then all this is just “words” but I really think our attack will improve greatly as the season progresses.

We have had a poor loss, followed by a fighting away loss followed by an ugly win. Regardless of the size of the increments there has been improvement in each performance. As long as we are moving forward and not backward there is hope to be held.

Manly have to come out strong for a change next Saturday. Easts have only scored around 3 tries in the first half of matches this season and about 20 in the second half. Their confidence is very patchy but once they “click” you have to go with them intensity wise.

Once again Bradza you are pretty much spot on - I am pleased with the effort of the last 2 weeks but am concerned about our lack of go forward and our inability for runners to be out in a hole.

I will be going to the game on Sat night with fingers & Toes crossed hoping for further improvement.

Great post. The positive to me is that we are showing more toughness in our own quarter and playing better without the ball.

I still worry about the cohesion of our attack and lack of communication in defence but we would have lost that one in the final 10 rounds of 2005.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6