This will be unpopular

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't think that Gift has been consistently effective in tackles for a few years now. Seems to just grab up high in stead of driving the ball runner like a Richie or a Choc does.

Gift has never been a hole runner or grunt type of backrower so why are people expecting him to develop into one now ??

Chip and Chase said:
Gift has never been a hole runner or grunt type of backrower so why are people expecting him to develop into one now ??

Not totally correct in his earlier slimmed down years there were times he hit holes made decent yardage when it was required and barged over for red zone tries.

Being a ballplayer on the right edge is not enough and his weight is limiting his impact in games.

Defensively he can be found wanting especially in sharp high intensity periods or even just short sustained high speed of play periods uses his arms a lot when tired and a little slow with lateral movement.

When the game is a nice steady slow grind he has a good tank on him and paces himself well throughout the game making good high tackle counts and making strong ball and all tackles.

I didn't say he wasn't capable, I just think it's not the best use of his abilities and he has never really had to play that role. He won a CCM 18 months ago and played origin last year so he can't be struggling too much. You might have a point about his fitness/intensity levels. Is there any need for him to play 80mins now ?? we have plenty of back row options but we seem to insist on carrying someone on the bench and only giving them 10 or 15 minutes. We have enough utlity value in our side to have a bench of 4 forwards, two props and two backrowers, that way everyone should get a blow/freshen up when needed.

The sideways thing is an issue - our best footy was when Lawrence was on the field cause he straightens us up - having Kite and Stewart on the field at once is too much(sometimes) . Run straight gifty...Kitey play like you did when you were playing for a contract.

I know he will be better for the run but that right edge attack just looked cramped when Gift chimed in. Pushed Killer sideways and then left Wolfy with six inches to work in and over run the ball.

I think that foran and DCE are good enough now to set these plays up and teams are on to Gift and Killer stop shuffle and go around the outside. Now they hang back and wait for the boys to run out of room.

I rate Glen as good a back rower as any in the comp but it might be our halves have evolved enough not to need his injection on every shift right. He will be awesome with a few more games so I will look a fool but the wolf Lyon gift play failed against the storm last year and their mini me's last night.

Top End Eagle said:
I know he will be better for the run but that right edge attack just looked cramped when Gift chimed in. Pushed Killer sideways and then left Wolfy with six inches to work in and over run the ball.

I think that foran and DCE are good enough now to set these plays up and teams are on to Gift and Killer stop shuffle and go around the outside. Now they hang back and wait for the boys to run out of room.

I rate Glen as good a back rower as any in the comp but it might be our halves have evolved enough not to need his injection on every shift right. He will be awesome with a few more games so I will look a fool but the wolf Lyon gift play failed against the storm last year and their mini me's last night.

I was praying for a cut out pass to go to Lyon by the 2nd half.

They played sideways against Cronulla last time around. Cronulla aren't a good enough team to capitalise...Souths were. When Manly ran straight and hard they looked much better. They've been found out, time for some tweaking.

And Lyon needs to back himself more. He could have score himself on at least one occasion, but decided to pass it to the Coyote.

Top End Eagle said:
Gift pushes us sideways and did so all last year. We haven't missed him at all and his inclusion tonight was to our detriment. Foran and DCE are good enough and Lyon was cramped for room. I love the bloke but he needs to play straighter.

We missed Symonds and horo running good lines. Glen Stewart is one of the best players to son the maroon and white but he needs to reinvent himself.

The wolfman needs a few games to play himself back into form.

When Lawrence And Kite were off we struggled.

Sorry Don not Son. But I hope he does sire a few future sea eagles.

During discussions a few weeks ago, this is the very point I raised. He takes space away from Lyon and it allowed the defence (Goodwin in particular) to stiffle opportunities.

Lyon proves himself capable of creating tries without a ball player inside him; perhaps time to get Stewart back into a hard running role, in lieu of ball player.

Considering the injuries and suspensions to 3 of our big men who can bend a defense backwards it's now time to alter Gift's role in the team. I want to see him playing it similar to Choc. Hit it up straight and hard cutting back in behind the play the ball area. Choc doing it one side and Gift the other and using runners like Lyon and Snake if there are gaps created to run off them.

An aspect of our play I was liking during Gift's absence was the injection of Foran on the RHS at times. Seemed he was given more of a roving role. I don't recall that happening on Friday night.

Personally I think the whole left/right and never the twain shall meet is boring and predictable. I like to see DCE and Foran linking up, on either side of the ruck. Hopefully Tooves will allow that freedom to continue.

Sheikheagle said:
Wolf kept cutting back inside instead of backing himself and going for the corner

He had no choice, they were so close to the touch line, and with such capapble defence he would have been pushed into touch. His kicks inside were too big.

Watching the game over, there were several instances in the first half on both the right and left sides where the chip kick (or grubber), a very short shallow kick should have been employed. The Souths defence was moving up very quickly all the match.

This needs to be practised, with the kick depth just halfway back into the in-goal. Then Killer, Snake, Stevie can pounce or force restart.

This role can be taken by DCE, Foran or Gift. Remember the grubber chip kick that Gifty did in the 2011GF?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6