This week I took a different approach to watching Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

NYEagle

Bencher
The season is gone, so before this game I decided to do an experiment and place a nominal bet on the Warriors to win and become a one game only opposition supporter to get a feel of what Manly look like from the perspective of supporting the opposition. Plus, like many here the Warriors are my second favourite team, so better them than one of the Aussie scum teams.

Although I am in it for the long haul, I wanted to put the Manly glasses down for a week, and just see where the threats and weaknesses really are, and I found this very revealing.

Here are my thoughts in point form:

Team:

Negatives:

(1) The effort is there from each player, and that's a sad indicator of the talent when you look at results
(2) Very very disjointed. Lots of individual efforts, but individual efforts are ineffective and easy to defend
(3) Defence on Uates side is disgusting. Every 4th or 5th tackle they are running backwards anticipating a kick and are easy to attack on.
(4) Play the balls very slow
(5) Flat footed and poor forwards impact. Why are they passing 10 metres back every time?.
(6) The attack does not move together. It's all individual stuff forcing errors from Cherry

Positives:

Individuals:

Negatives:

Hodkinson: Whoever declared this guy fit to play is a criminal. This guy has no knees and is a very ordinary passer (Green absolutely killed him in the passing stakes).

Uate: Tries hard in attack but is woeful defensively

Wright, Frankenstein: Did they play?

Lane and Thompson are predictable

Positives:

JTrobj: Man he is a superstar. He would have been Glenn Stewart + more in an earlier era

Parker: Great defence and dangerous in attack

TTrobj: Superstar but no support. B Stewart in a past era but sadly he is alone

Coach:

You can see Barrett is all about effort, but he is effective on individuals but not the team dynamic. Either that, or some of these players are just basket cases and not listening. He is a terrible defensive coach or they are not listening.

Verdict:

This squad needs a clean-out, or at worst some very very brave and decisive changes. Can't turn mutton into lamb. Barrett better start showing some courage because this is not getting better unless he does something. Start with Suli, Hodkinson, Uate and Frankenstein in NSW Cup, and put anyone else in I don't care. In season 2018 it's time to experiment for the future because the present arrangement is a fast track to ruin.

Finally, this is not Cherries fault. He is forced to play an unnatural game. He was everywhere today in defense, and was forced to try and create and that's not his gig. He needs to be the support and broken field player, but this team can't crack an egg. I was never ever worried being a Warriors follower today.

NYEagle

I agree with most of your observations. Particularly the effort, but many of these players are simply not talented enough.
Also Hodkinson is not worth persevering with. I see no upside; he is not in our future plans.
You didn't see Wright play? Strange; he came on early when Api was hurt and had to play hooker. He did a good job in an unfamiliar position. Frankly, Wright always impresses me because he gives 100%, even though he is just a journeyman.

The season is gone, so before this game I decided to do an experiment and place a nominal bet on the Warriors to win and become a one game only opposition supporter to get a feel of what Manly look like from the perspective of supporting the opposition. Plus, like many here the Warriors are my second favourite team, so better them than one of the Aussie scum teams.

Although I am in it for the long haul, I wanted to put the Manly glasses down for a week, and just see where the threats and weaknesses really are, and I found this very revealing.

Team:

Negatives:

(1) The effort is there from each player, and that's a sad indicator of the talent when you look at results
(2) Very very disjointed. Lots of individual efforts, but individual efforts are ineffective and easy to defend
(3) Defence on Uates side is disgusting. Every 4th or 5th tackle they are running backwards anticipating a kick and are easy to attack on.
(5) Flat footed and poor forwards impact. Why are they passing 10 metres back every time?.
(6) The attack does not move together. It's all individual stuff forcing errors from Cherry

Positives:

Individuals:

Negatives:

Hodkinson: Whoever declared this guy fit to play is a criminal. This guy has no knees and is a very ordinary passer (Green absolutely killed him in the passing stakes).

Positives:

JTrobj: Man he is a superstar. He would have been Glenn Stewart + more in an earlier era

Coach:

You can see Barrett is all about effort, but he is effective on individuals but not the team dynamic. Either that, or some of these players are just basket cases and not listening. He is a terrible defensive coach or they are not listening.

Verdict:

This squad needs a clean-out, or at worst some very very brave and decisive changes. Can't turn mutton into lamb. Barrett better start showing some courage because this is not getting better unless he does something. Start with Suli, Hodkinson, Uate and Frankenstein in NSW Cup, and put anyone else in I don't care. In season 2018 it's time to experiment for the future because the present arrangement is a fast track to ruin.

Finally, this is not Cherries fault. He is forced to play an unnatural game. He was everywhere today in defense, and was forced to try and create and that's not his gig. He needs to be the support and broken field player, but this team can't crack an egg. I was never ever worried being a Warriors follower today.

NYEagle

You lost me with the Wright commentary.
The guy played hooker for 65 minutes straight.

Team:

Negatives:

Positives:

Individuals:

Negatives:

Positives:

Coach:

Verdict:

NYEagle

F off with your constructive and thoughtful criticism, that went out of fashion 10 years ago.

Some actual effort and well made points for once, well done.

I do agree with plenty, definitely think players don't listen, TT the perfect example, got off the phone pre origin to the coach and was told to to stop throwing forward passes if he wants to play and then goes and throws 2 the next game. Another 1 tonight which cost us an easy try.

Since Trent took over I watch the games with different eyes. I watch for us to edge away from the wooden spoon. I recon we need two more wins to be safe this year. At the moment we are looking at for and against so I’m keen that we shouldn’t loose by too many.

i thought lane was one of the best in attack we had tonight, in the first half he regularly got his head & arms through the line but had no one to pass to. admittedly he made a bad read that lead to an early try but most of the team had a shocker defence wise

You lost me with the Wright commentary.
The guy played hooker for 65 minutes straight.

Wright always puts in. Its the poor team selections like Uate, parker,winterstein and dogkinson. Throw in poor kicking,poor 5th tackle options, poor line speed, poor defence ,poor coaching..............

............that are killing us

You do realise, or maybe you don't, there is an avatar which tells everyone who has posted the message.
You don't need to sign every post off.

You keep betting against Manly and cheering on the opposition. I rather be an idiot than a d***h**d.
Ahhh ok you are one of those...Makes sense.
Thanks for your comment, but you needn’t bother, really.
NYEagle

I agree with most of your observations. Particularly the effort, but many of these players are simply not talented enough.
Also Hodkinson is not worth persevering with. I see no upside; he is not in our future plans.
You didn't see Wright play? Strange; he came on early when Api was hurt and had to play hooker. He did a good job in an unfamiliar position. Frankly, Wright always impresses me because he gives 100%, even though he is just a journeyman.

I was disappointed with Hodkinson the other night ( maybe I should lower my expectations ).
A couple of occasions on our left side shift there was a huge gap between the Warriors edge defenders where the outside came up but the inside stayed back as well as their spacing was crap but he just shifted it to Kelly regardless with nowhere to go.
Now I know he's not the fastest in the world but I would have thought he's experienced enough to try and test that gap with either a run or kick in behind occasionally but no, he didn't ask any questions.

Wright did well for an unfamiliar role, something like 43 tackles in the middle when on the wing our fullback he's making, what 6 or so?
He was never going to emulate Api with a dart or a kick though, that's where a lot of our problems in attack started, Chez came in to try to make a point of difference but then we had no one asking questions of the defence one or two off the ruck.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8